etbrown4

How to keep outdoor camera connectors dry?

As a newbie to cctv I am curious how one keeps the outdoor camera connections dry.

Looking at several brands like Lorex, Night Owl, or Q-see, I see a lot of BNC connectors or RCA type jacks, plus the outdoor power connections. The Lorex uses a telephone type clip jack.

With all these I see tremendous opportunities for water getting into the connections, as none appear to be water proof.

With outdoor cameras and no weatherproof enclosure, how does one keep the connectors dry? know these cameras are used in millions of applications worldwide, so it can't be but so complicated. Right?

You can either use electrical tape or silicon self fusing tape. Make sure it's outdoor rated with uv protection. And for either tape, cut the last end of the tape at an angle (60 degrees) to help prevent the end from "raising" (lifting) up.

Make your connections inside a weatherproof gang box or leave them in the ceiling or wall.

Most cameras have a connection to pipe PVC conduit right into the camera, or mount the camera on a weatherproof electrical box, in which PVC conduit can be ran to recorder. That way your connection made in the junction box are perfectly dry!

As a newbie to cctv I am curious how one keeps the outdoor camera connections dry.

Looking at several brands like Lorex, Night Owl, or Q-see, I see a lot of BNC connectors or RCA type jacks, plus the outdoor power connections. The Lorex uses a telephone type clip jack.

With all these I see tremendous opportunities for water getting into the connections, as none appear to be water proof.

With outdoor cameras and no weatherproof enclosure, how does one keep the connectors dry? know these cameras are used in millions of applications worldwide, so it can't be but so complicated. Right?

The trick is to use quality cameras. All those brands listed above are below-low-budget brands, so it's not surprising that there's no attention paid to waterproof connectors (don't expect the cameras themselves to be particularly weatherproof, either - they probably wouldn't keep out a heavy fog, let alone direct rain).

Ok, Great info with the WP junction boxes or the silicone tape!

I take it that everyone agrees that bare connectors out in the weather are a no-no. right?

Pretty much, especially for clients. Though Ive done it for one of my own cameras in the past was supposed to just be a temporary thing, and the connector made it quite a few years even with some corrosion from being right on the beach. Id never leave power exposed though.

Where I do have to use exposed connectors, I generally pack them with dielectric grease before assembly - that's the stuff that's sold in automotive stores for putting on battery terminals to prevent corrosion, and it's doing the same thing here: keeping air away from the metal to prevent corrosion.

A tight wrapping of *good* PVC tape or a couple coats of "brush-on electrical tape" finishes the job.

When installing out door cameras I also install a weatherproof box, run a 4 conductor for power and enhance the installation by installing a strobe as a deterrent. The customers love it. I run the 4 conductor to get both ac and dc power. Electrical tape ? a big no no

There is a cctv camera company that has vandal proof domes that have a flashing strobe led in them,but i can't remember who .

There is a cctv camera company that has vandal proof domes that have a flashing strobe led in them,but i can't remember who .

eclipse cctv, probably others too.

Also, BNC/RCA/F Connector/RJ-11 connections are typically fine out in the open, if they are shielded by water (like underneath the soffit of a house). If you live near the coast, thats another story.

For a client, of course you want these connections to be wrapped good or in a box.