Sign in to follow this  
greenbuggy

Help with Vistapro/Lorex QLR1660 before I cut myself

Hi I just found this forum and seems to be a good source of information, however searching hasn't found me any info about the card I need help with, a Lorex technology QLR1660 (16 channel)

I initially set this up as the vendor promised my not-technically-savvy boss we could on a not-dedicated PC and had nothing but problems with it. We've since installed it on a dedicated PC and have constant problems with it failing to record. When we originally had it on the first computer whenever it was restarted the "VistaPRO Server" would automatically start up, but as we didn't want it to consume too much hard disk space we set it to do motion record on all 7 cameras on the vistaPRO "schedule".

Problem being, with the monkeys who programmed the awful and buggy vistapro software, every time the program or computer is restarted someone needs to click "Schedule record" or which channels to Record non-stop in order for the program to actually bother to record anything....what a novel concept - a security system that actually records when you turn it on without messing with it further.

After moving to a dedicated computer we now have significant gaps in our record schedule due to what I'm guessing are program restarts, however I am busy enough with my other responsibilities that I can't (and shouldn't have to) check the stupid thing every hour of every day to make sure its doing what its supposed to.

Our vendor is a family member of the companies owner who I'm sure gave him a "great deal" on this steaming pile of crap, and which is probably why they didn't bother to ask the IT/maintenance guy his opinion on this toy masquerading as a security system before purchasing it and expecting me to support it. The vendor has since thrown up their hands and responsibility to this system which "isn't in their normal sales/support line" and several calls and complaints to Lorex have gotten me nowhere. One of the helpdesk guys was descent enough to tell me that Vistapro for this card hasn't been updated in forever, won't be for a while and won't be announced when (if?) it ever is. Lorex's website for the QLR1660 doesn't have a date updated or software version, you just need to download it and see if its a newer copy than the one you already have (FYI, last updated sometime in 2007).

While the hardware seems solid, the software is buggy as can be, you can't watch the cameras in real time on the "vistapro server" software, you have to open the "vistapro client" software in order to watch the camera output - ON THE SAME COMPUTER! The server software just has either static or pink squares where the camera output should be.

So let this be a warning to anyone considering buying lorex - DONT.

As for my technical question, I've done some searching on google and this forum and can't seem to find any alternatives to the Vistapro software for this card. I haven't tried any of the other vistapro versions on Lorex's website for fear of screwing things up worse than they already are - even though this is a 16 channel card we are only using the first 7 channels. I am not sure what chipset the card has but I'm not opposed to opening up the PC to find out if that needs to be done.

I'm not opposed to making the company pay for software for the security system as we've already lost money to theft that the stupid thing turned itself off and didn't bother to capture the faces of the thieves that did it. I just want to know that if I spend the money on an alternative that it will be better than what we currently have.

As a last-ditch option, we could replace the lorex card with something else, as I said we've already got a dedicated PC I just hate to re-buy hardware if there is a better option. Thanks for the help.

Hi greenbuggy.

the best thing to do first is list the spec of the pc you are now using for your card. because it sounds like you already have a problem with seeing pink squires sometime which can be a graphic card problem.

buying software with out buying the card to go with it never works you will still get problems so i would rule that option out. like you have said you have talked to the manufactor if they cant help then simple dont give them anymore money find a card company with good support.

but your first thing to do is list your pc spec. that way we can find a good replacement card for you that will work. and then you can rest and put that knife back in the kitchen draw. we dont want to read in the news that you have cut youself.

your lorex card runs on the following pc spec.

System Requirement

QLR1660 QLR1660-2

OS Windows 98SE / ME / 2000 / XP

CPU P-IV 1.6GHz or higher P-IV 3.0GHz or higher

Memory more than 256MB

HDD 5Gbyte or higher

VGA 32MB or higher *

* Recommended VGA: RIVA TNT 2, GeForce2 MX 100/200, GeForce2 MX 400,

ATI XPERT 2000 Pro, ATI RADEON 7200

[NOTE] You should use the VGA card with Hardware Acceleration function.

* A Standalone Grapics card (not integrated with the Motherboard) is essential for the correct functioning of the QLR1660

system. If you are unsure of your specific PC configuration, please refer to your hardware vendor for more information.

Hi greenbuggy.

the best thing to do first is list the spec of the pc you are now using for your card. because it sounds like you already have a problem with seeing pink squires sometime which can be a graphic card problem.

Lorex told me that it was a known problem with that version of vistapro. Right now its running on a 2.0 Ghz Dell desktop, 512 ram, 120 gb HD. Right now its using the onboard video card, on the computer it was previously running on we tried swapping video cards with a GeForce card which didn't change a thing.

Its infuriating that lorex knows full well that the software they're including with these cards is downright awful and makes no effort to improve a thing, at least they havent in the 8 mos we've been running this system, talking to their helpdesk I don't have high hopes for the next few years either.

buying software with out buying the card to go with it never works you will still get problems so i would rule that option out. like you have said you have talked to the manufactor if they cant help then simple dont give them anymore money find a card company with good support.

but your first thing to do is list your pc spec. that way we can find a good replacement card for you that will work. and then you can rest and put that knife back in the kitchen draw. we dont want to read in the news that you have cut youself.