maestro7879

Avermedia NV3000 - My Experience

I wish I could write more but I haven't been able to successfully start the software and see any sort of image. I initially bought this card because I thought it would be compatible with i-Catcher Console. I was wrong and I can't recommend this card to anyone. I tried the included software and have had many crashes.

A little background on me. I run a data center so I'm very familiar with computers and systems and this card has proven to be completely useless. If I can't set this card up in 30 minutes then it's worthless.

I can't trust any card that is this difficult to get working.

Don't buy it.

The one app for it is called POS - Very fitting.

You cant recommend it because a 3rd party app wont work with it?

Its not Avermedia's responsibility to work for unknown software programs.

Otherwise, why was it crashing? Were the default drivers installed? What kind of computer and OS was this on. Cant just say it is useless and crashes without giving a little more info please.

You cant recommend it because a 3rd party app wont work with it?

Its not Avermedia's responsibility to work for unknown software programs.

Otherwise, why was it crashing? Were the default drivers installed? What kind of computer and OS was this on. Cant just say it is useless and crashes without giving a little more info please.

I wasn't basing my post on 3rd party software solely.

I tried i-Catcher first then I tried the Avermedia app that comes with it and it didn't work.

I'm using a IBM t31 laptop and Windows XP 32 bit. i-Catcher was disabled while I tried the Avermedia app.

I uninstalled the card from the docking station and re-installed and ran the install from the CD and it didn't work. I treat things like I do at work, if it doesn't work right away it will get the boot (no pun intended).

I understand this card is cheap but I had a bt8x8 card work better previously. I used that card for 2 years but replaced it because it wouldn't display more then 1 input (I understand why).

A DVR Card on a laptop with a docking station?

That would explain it. Please explain this configuration a little more as DVR cards are designed to be placed in a PCI/e slot on a motherboard not a docking station. It sounds like this docking station is an extra piece of hardware put into the equation that is out of the ordinary.

BTW I dont use Avermedia myself, but for other reasons.

A DVR Card on a laptop with a docking station?

That would explain it. Please explain this configuration a little more as DVR cards are designed to be placed in a PCI/e slot on a motherboard not a docking station. It sounds like this docking station is an extra piece of hardware put into the equation that is out of the ordinary.

BTW I dont use Avermedia myself, but for other reasons.

I can put any card in this docking station and it will work (except this one).

Fortunately I have PCs at my disposal so I will try a "true" PCI slot and see if the results are different tomorrow.

This PCI slot has seen more action then a girl on the corner and never flinched so I can't see why this card is a problem.

okay let us know

But i would imagine most DVR cards, least the more expensive ones, might encounter issues. They can have issues with regular PCI slots let alone a separate docking station, for example with Geovision we never installed it in the first PCI slot, different bandwidth requirements perhaps, whatever Im no expert in PCI slots. I used a green WD drive with Geo and it wont work properly, switch out to any other NON green drive and the problem goes away meanwhile the same green drive works fine on a home PC ... some DVR cards and their drivers/software are just a little more tricky ..

How is this docking station connected?

okay let us know

But i would imagine most DVR cards, least the more expensive ones, might encounter issues. They can have issues with regular PCI slots let alone a separate docking station, for example with Geovision we never installed it in the first PCI slot, different bandwidth requirements perhaps, whatever Im no expert in PCI slots. I used a green WD drive with Geo and it wont work properly, switch out to any other NON green drive and the problem goes away meanwhile the same green drive works fine on a home PC ... some DVR cards and their drivers/software are just a little more tricky ..

How is this docking station connected?

I think I could strike it rich if I would design a card that worked everywhere. I have RAID cards at work that are much more complicated then this and work anywhere. Why can't DVR cards ?

The docking station is connected to the laptop via a connector on the bottom of the laptop.

I have connected everything from video cards to modems through that docking station with no problems.

I will update tomorrow with my findings on a true motherboard.

I also ordered a Picolo 2 Pro off ebay that is supposed to work with i-Catcher so we will see if that works (possibly tomorrow or Saturday).

Yeah DVR cards act alot diff from Video cards and modems ... with laptops we normally use USB devices .. still not great as the software normally sucks. .. in fact that said I have a $6 4-ch USB DVR device coming from Amazon to test .. I had to make up a balance on the account while ordering some other things so figured why not .. I could try maybe Luxriot with it, or even Milestone free if that works with cards.

Yeah DVR cards act alot diff from Video cards and modems ... with laptops we normally use USB devices .. still not great as the software normally sucks. .. in fact that said I have a $6 4-ch USB DVR device coming from Amazon to test .. I had to make up a balance on the account while ordering some other things so figured why not .. I could try maybe Luxriot with it, or even Milestone free if that works with cards.

I've tried the cheap usb 4-ch DVR. It's what you expect.

One channel in most programs unless you use the program supplied that switches the inputs.

I guess that's why I was surprised that the (more $$$) Avermedia didn't work with a WDM compatible program. It had such great reviews but once again it seems that it is built for one piece of software.

I wish I could write more but I haven't been able to successfully start the software and see any sort of image. I initially bought this card because I thought it would be compatible with i-Catcher Console. I was wrong and I can't recommend this card to anyone. I tried the included software and have had many crashes.

A little background on me. I run a data center so I'm very familiar with computers and systems and this card has proven to be completely useless. If I can't set this card up in 30 minutes then it's worthless.

I can't trust any card that is this difficult to get working.

Don't buy it.

The one app for it is called POS - Very fitting.

does it run on i catcher ????? does it say that anywere in the manual NO avermedias mistake no YOURs. yes.

your familiar with computers ???? many people all over the world buy this card and are up and running in 30 mins.

they follow the instructions. so whats your problem ???

Any update on this? Avermedia are the easiest cards to use and have some the easiest software... and iphohne and blackberry compatible.

I get the NV5000's for friends all the time... and they know nothing about computers. Not knocking your station.. but at this point you may have some driver conflicts if your trying different software.

Put the card into a fresh PC.. install software... plug in camera.. give us update