mike_va

Network Utilization question

I am playing around with the following setup:

P1344

P3344

Axis 241S x 3

Axis 243 x 2

Axis 2400 (1ch)

This goes through various switches finally reaching the computer running Vitamin D software. Surprisingly the computer although powerful 3GHz quad core has a 100 ethernet card. It seems to hover around 70% with everything cranking along. I am also running VNC to access this computer from a laptop.

How much of the network utilization can I use reliably? I've not had luck googling this topic.

Considering an upgrade to a 1GB NIC, but know at some point I will probably reach what can be written to the hard drive?

P.S. Turning off the megapixels really helps drop this down, see attached pic (turned off megapixels and one 241S). I really like the 1344 but still cannot touch the old analog cameras unless there is some light at night...

1569760688_8camturnoff1x13441x2411x3344.jpg.acaffc95cba85d81663ac3b7b81864a6.jpg

right now im running Axis Camera Station on a Core 2 Duo with 4gb ram with 5 2tb drives with a gigabit nic recording 31 cameras

the bandwidth varies throughout the day but its is handling it fine. I think the biggest thing is to spread your camera recording across many drives

camstationbandwidth.JPG

Actually, if you use MPEG or H2XX based encoding, you should average avoid network load more than 50%. This is hard to manage streams from lots of cameras, with big "Key frames" pulses from them. What happens, when Key frames from all cameras will come at the same time?

Some encoders (Indigo vision, NKF Siqura), has "network shaping" feature, to "extend" key frames to smaller packets....

But not all of cameras and encoders....

Edited by Guest

What does the recorded video look like? do you have any drop frames? I would upgrade to a giga nic they are cheap.

Second this... with the added benefit that if you separate your remote access from your camera network, your VNC connection should be smoother.

BTW, for a VNC app, I highly recommend UltraVNC along with their "mirror driver", which SUBSTANTIALLY improves the speed of live video over the remote connection.

What does the recorded video look like? do you have any drop frames? I would upgrade to a giga nic they are cheap.

Second this... with the added benefit that if you separate your remote access from your camera network, your VNC connection should be smoother.

BTW, for a VNC app, I highly recommend UltraVNC along with their "mirror driver", which SUBSTANTIALLY improves the speed of live video over the remote connection.

Thanks for the comments. I'll have to look into the mirror driver not sure what that is. Nor do I know how to seperate remote access from the camera network. Just a guess but maybe having that network seperate and then bridging to another network? Or adding two NIC's to the computer? Really I'm just guessing as I have no idea, I'll need to research this.

Right now using UltraVNC on Windows 7, and Chicken of the VNC on Mac.

I don't think I have dropped frames, from looking at the video. Not sure if there is some other way to verify this, I'm not a computer expert. This system is just something we are playing around with at home.

The reason I thought it might be an issue is last night I saw one camera lose connectivity with Vitamin D intermittently. Have not seen it again though.

Vitamin D might be a little processor intensive compared the the Axis, but I really like the way it saves events and filters by person or object. I really like the interface and how easy it was to set up email notifications e.g. when we get a package from UPS. Has ended up being somewhat humorous seeing who tosses it further the postman or UPS...

Thanks for the comments. I'll have to look into the mirror driver not sure what that is.

If you install the latest version of UVNC, it gives the option to download and install it as part of the UVNC installation. If not, you can just download it from the website. It installs on the server side and the benefits can be seen with any VNC client (we have one client who uses UVNC on their DVRs and RealVNC client on his office desktop).

Nor do I know how to seperate remote access from the camera network. Just a guess but maybe having that network seperate and then bridging to another network? Or adding two NIC's to the computer?

I'm talking about having the cameras and the remote connection on two separate NICs... hence, this would be a beneficial side-effect to adding a gigabit NIC to the machine: you could connect the cameras to that, and the existing built-in NIC to the rest of your network.