jenelletech

50 camera system for grocery store

Good afternoon, I am working on designing a system for a grocery store. can this be done with out using IP cameras? I want to avoid stacking standalone DVRs due to the ability to review recorded material. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jenelletech

Good afternoon, I am working on designing a system for a grocery store. can this be done with out using IP cameras? I want to avoid stacking standalone DVRs due to the ability to review recorded material. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jenelletech

Don't understand your asking "can this be done with out using IP cameras?" but then you say "want to avoid stacking standalone DVRs". What is your question.

Thank you

Jenelletech

yes it can be done no problem at all. but i would use at least two dvrs/nvrs for that amount of cameras. you could use a 64way dvr but if it fails you have nothing.

you can use wifi camera and cms software for the 50nos of camera.

50 Wifi IP cameras? Even if you segment your wifi network, space out your channels, and use multiple APs, that's an awful lot of cameras for standard wifi.

I'm not sure I'd be doing that. Wifi doesn't always scale particularly well.

50 Wifi IP cameras? Even if you segment your wifi network, space out your channels, and use multiple APs, that's an awful lot of cameras for standard wifi.

My understanding of most wireless systems is that you can only have 4 channels within a wireless range. Otherwise they interfere with each other and you don't get any video.

My understanding of most wireless systems is that you can only have 4 channels within a wireless range. Otherwise they interfere with each other and you don't get any video.

Right... 1, 5-6, 10-11, and 14 are common choices... and you're going to run out of room with 12-13 cameras on each of those channels. You only have so much bandwidth, and the AP has to manage the datastreams of all those wireless clients, as well as the additional wireless overhead... and without dropping frames, or dropping the client entirely.

Also, wifi cameras are prone to interference, and can be hacked... You could also walk into that store with a PDA, running a packet-injection deAUTH attack, and knock the entire camera network offline.

I don't use Wifi for anything where wired is an viable option.

...waiting for the sales pitch and link to some cheap junk from some fleaBay store...

...waiting for the sales pitch and link to some cheap junk from some fleaBay store...

It would be neat if they could actually do it... but I've never seen wifi scale that well.

I've been wrong before... will be again.

Just stack the DVRs and use the included CMS software to view all the cameras in one screen, 64 way network view is common now even with the most budget DVRs, as well as multi DVR playback in multiviews over the network. Personally I would use 16 channel DVRs for maximum recording rates, but they have 32 channel stand alones or 64 channel PC based. If your budget is low then just get 2x 32 channel standalones or 3x 16 channels + 1x4 channel and call it a day, or for more frames get a real time (D1 30fps all channels) 16 channel x 4.

Please don't used WiFi!!!!

I can crack WEP security in under 3 minutes, and brute-force WPA types in under 10 minutes usually. Once someone has the password, they can sniff for anything, passwords sent by browsers, video streams, emails sent, goes on forever! And don't think SSL helps, either.

Anyone that knows how to read a tutorial and use Linux can do it too!

If you use WiFI I'll come over there and have some fun with your network.

Please don't used WiFi!!!!

I can crack WEP security in under 3 minutes, and brute-force WPA types in under 10 minutes usually. Once someone has the password, they can sniff for anything, passwords sent by browsers, video streams, emails sent, goes on forever! And don't think SSL helps, either.

Anyone that knows how to read a tutorial and use Linux can do it too!

If you use WiFI I'll come over there and have some fun with your network.

It's good to see a fellow h4x0r.

haha, me too

^I'm waiting for my buddy to send me a screenshot from his iPhone... a few months ago he was an a local airport, fired up his WiFi to look for a connection, and found an SSID labelled "I HACKED YOUR CCTV"

I can remember one time I was at a food court in a mall with my laptop and high-power bluetooth dongle. Booted into Backtrack 3, looked around for some phones. Saw a lady eating Chick-Fil-A, while texting on her phone. I happened to recognize the model and saw it on the list of devices in range...

Sent her a pairing request: "How's your Chick-Fil-A?". She freaked out. Her boyfriend took a look and starting looking around, then even called one of the officers over.

I left soon after! I was about 100' away, so they didn't notice me. Yes, I spoofed the MAC address on my dongle.

"Bluejacker" is the one thing I miss about my Treo *sigh*. Haven't found such a simple yet effective app for Windows Mobile yet...