CardinalBags

Advice needed for low light application

I am dissapointed with my current cameras not performing well in low light / dark. They are IR cameras, unfortunately I dont have the current model numbers for the cameras. They are dome style cameras. Fairly generic I am guessing. Whatever the security company had in stock or available on short notice from ADI.

I am wondering if I would be better of with new cameras that are better quality and specifcally intended for low light or dark areas or if I should just add a bunch of IR light sources around the areas to be lit up. Problem with the latter option is not making the house look like one of the Borg. The frame rate differences are due to me making changes at the DVR (Digimerge DH200 touch)

1647871242_GarageDay.jpg.bb78e21d80548634fb656789be0bfbdb.jpg

690534165_GarageNight.jpg.ba4feb33aeee3b35f4c3ac99fff0ad7e.jpg

Another example from another cam.... This is the worst one... The glare coming off the inside of the dome reflecting back into the lens is awful.

3-day.jpg.b227b3bb9c369142b8dd56d6dd6e2532.jpg

3-night.jpg.0e4e1be68991b92a4abfe4a25f3c77c0.jpg

You would need cameras with much more powerful IR, like a decent True Day Night (ICR) - those cameras are mounted high and have nothing much within the IR range to reflect the IR from, maybe even try turning the garage one more towards the garage doors, the 2nd one more towards the ground, so the IR hits those objects. Some Color IRs also have alot of Infrared. But it would probably be cheaper and give added security to add something like a dusk to dawn light - visible light makes for a better image anyway.

Edit. that said looking at the 2nd image closer, seems there might be a light source in the top right? When is the last time these cameras were cleaned? The first camera, the IR seems to be just barely touching the garage door, you could also try mounting them lower.

No matter how low light a camera is, it still needs some light.

Try refocusing the cameras at night

He has little to loose trying to... but I don't think that's the problem. Any solid line in the night shots isn't blurry. Just crappy...

Even if he cleaned the outside of the camera's lenses... which are obviously a little dirty, my gut just tells me those cameras and crappy to begin with and a waste of money for outside night shots....

But obviously, try the free tips before you get replacement cameras!

The little bit of the garage door frames you can see through the IR fog in the first set, look pretty sharp already. Since these are probably NOT auto-iris cameras, there should be little or no change in DOF from day to night; thus, refocusing at night is 99% likely to make NO improvement.

Note that if these are domes, you WILL have a nice clear picture when you take the dome off and eliminate the IR fog... but it will be back as soon as you replace the domes, unless you can adjust the lens gasket to provide better light sealing.

... The glare coming off the inside of the dome reflecting back into the lens is awful.

This sentence leads me to believe that the IR diodes are inside the dome. Is that something you did or had the cameras come like that? If they are inside to dome, then you're probably out of luck, as its the same thing as shining a flashlight at glass at night. All you're going to see is the reflection of the flashlight in the glass.

Heres an example of what the dome camera should look like

dome-vp_W.jpg.1da89f7d1e5e91a94d0e46badaddde31.jpg

Cameras with built-in IR are, as a general rule, cheap junk to begin with: instead of the added expense for building a GOOD low-light or day/night camera, manufacturers use a cheap color camera that can't see with anything less than a 100W light bulb, and add IR LEDs to compensate. There are exceptions, of course, but they ARE the exception, rather than the rule.

I'd start by paying the extra for a GOOD camera that actually does well in low light... then add external IR illuminators if really necessary. Better yet, add motion-activated white light illuminators (LED or halogen flood lights). Not only will you get a better, true-color picture, but a bright light snapping on is often enough to chase away prowlers... or at the very least, the natural reaction is to look for the source of the light, which gives you a nicely-lit, clear face shot.

Heres an example of what the dome camera should look like

Thats a Turret IR Dome, but they might have the regular style.

I had one of my CNB cams fog this fall so I took the dome apart and cleaned everything and put surefire oring lube on the rubbers then put it back together. No more fog at all.

hi there by any chance did you get the fog sorted on cams

i have 5 domes with ir fitted on my own house my prob is that they work perfect during the day but at night time once the ir comes on a fog appears on the camera pic and you can hardly see anything

sorrry for hijacking your post but these cams are very new but dont no what to do next with them

any help appreciated

sparkies

Your day time image looks very good quality. The resolution of these CCTV cameras is of a good standard. I think the drop in quality is due to the quality of your IR funtion. If you have the opportunity to add more IR light this would certainly improve things.

hi there by any chance did you get the fog sorted on cams

i have 5 domes with ir fitted on my own house my prob is that they work perfect during the day but at night time once the ir comes on a fog appears on the camera pic and you can hardly see anything

sorrry for hijacking your post but these cams are very new but dont no what to do next with them

any help appreciated

sparkies

It's been my experience that IR domes are not a good choice.... I've found crappy picture from IR Domes is 50% design, 50% quality of the camera... The very design of dome cameras with IR is flawed... in my opinion. The bowl of the dome tends to reflect the IR light back into the lens of the camera... If customers demand integrated IR, I try to sway them towards bullet cameras.

try to get bullet type of cameras since they have more IR on it.

Dome cameras are not good for the outdoor situation as I have the same

experience like that before.

It seems like IR light gets reflected off either dome cover or fog(?) or some sort.

Check if there's any fog at night or moisture buildup outside of dome cover.

I've seen some poorly designed IR dome cameras have scattered reflection issues like this. Hopely this is not the case for you though.

Well, I believe I have a lot more information now to address the issue. There was only a marginal improvement to the IR fog issue by cleaning the housings. Refer to the first two photos here.

This photo is prior to cleaning. IR Fog obscures the entire image.

After cleaning. The IR fog is reduced at the edges of the camera. IR fog is intense at center of the photo.

I realized due to the angle of the camera, that some of the IR leds are covered by the housing. See next photo.This is causing a lot of reflection back into the lens. The cameras do have a rubber seal around the camera lens to protect against the IR reflection, but the fit and finish of it to the outside glass dome is poor.

In the next posting (due to limitation on photos that can be attached, I will show another camera and my findings on it.

IMG_0160.PNG.1f12cff45ac6116fad8db537ab5c9e08.PNG

IMG_0163.PNG.8979d10bcfbd96fd7b0b840e059fccdb.PNG

IMG_0164small.jpg.b2f7a65d98f0456e0f931265dbf2ff23.jpg

Here are the next few photos.First Photo is before cleaning, second photo is after cleaning, third photo is with protective dome removed. The nighttime performance of the camera is quite good, poor design of IR LEDS inside the dome, and poor fit of rubber seal for camera lens to dome. I am going to fit some rubber shims between the existing rubber seal and the glass dome to see if that makes any improvement. If that does not work, then it will be some upgraded cameras (likely bullet cams as some of you have suggested, I just think they will look ghastly on the house whereas the dome cameras blend into the soffit well. Then again, visibility may make would-be thieves think twice.... that and the Rottweiller...lol). I will re-use these cameras inside the house without the dome covers in that event.

IMG_0167.PNG.eb84ab54e7504295a8b8385492a5ae35.PNG

IMG_0168.PNG.05b092ad71a873f297f1464241b7c8ae.PNG

IMG_0170.PNG.f475dcf23489f88c79e63bfa1e7709a6.PNG

Yeah I dont even know why they make them like that. Its make you wonder if these manufacturers test them before they sell them.

The rubber is supposed to touch right up against the dome cover. Makes it a pain when you have to adjust the camera to get it back on right. Maybe look at Turret IR domes instead.

I have the same camera(looks like a Honeywell HD73) tried everything but no luck. Just a bad design. They kinda look like CNB makes them for Honeywell?

No I doubt it, Ive used the CNB IR domes, that style, and they have the rubber ring that pushes tight against the dome cover.

From what (precious) little I know, I'd see if you can turn off/unplug the IR light module in the camera to kill it. Then add IR or other light externally as others have stated. I'd bet you'd get good images then. Much cheaper than new cameras...

They are honeywell cams. In any case, I've got 4 new cameras on order, turret ir domes with ir cut filter. These existing 4 cams are moving inside where I can take the domes off. I just recently upgraded the DVR unit so now I have 8 camera inputs, so they won't go to waste.