absolute2070

Analog camera feed from video server freezes

Hi all,

I have a Hybrid DVR at a clients location with both IP and analog cameras attached. The problem is that the video feed from two of the analog license plate cameras freezes then accelerates so fast that the images disappear. The cameras are connected to Vivotek

VS7100 video servers. I had a Vivotek technician remote in and view the problem cameras. He claims that I have a network issue, but none of the IP cameras show the same behavior. I have connected the license plate cameras directly to a portable montior and the video feed is fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is?

Hi all,

I have a Hybrid DVR at a clients location with both IP and analog cameras attached. The problem is that the video feed from two of the analog license plate cameras freezes then accelerates so fast that the images disappear. The cameras are connected to Vivotek

VS7100 video servers. I had a Vivotek technician remote in and view the problem cameras. He claims that I have a network issue, but none of the IP cameras show the same behavior. I have connected the license plate cameras directly to a portable montior and the video feed is fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is?

Hi absolute. why are you using the vs7100 if you have a hybrid dvr ??

The person I replaced installed the system. The capture card that he used is a NUUO SCB 5004, which is only capable of CIF resolution. CIF is too low for license plate recognition. The motherboard of the PC based DVR lacks the PCI Express x1 slot required by the NUUO 7000 series cards which do support D1 resolution. Also, two of the license plate cameras must use video servers due to the layout of the installation (it's a private school).

Again, I inherited this situation from the person I replaced. Video servers seemed to be the cheapest resolution to the problem.

Does the switch do QoS, or is the DVR's NIC set to use QoS? Could be the video servers aren't being allowed the bandwidth they need. Is there maybe another computer(s) on the network that are pulling streams from them? The spike in bandwidth caused by a fast-moving object could be overloading their streams, if there are too many streams being pulled.

I don't have much info on the switch (I believe it's either a 3Com or Cisco managed switch) but I pretty sure it supports Qos. I'm going onsite tomorrow so I'll have more information. The setup is as follows:

1 USA Security Hybrid DVR with NUUO SCB 5004 capture card and PI Pro software.

4 Bosch Extreme REG-X analog license plate cameras

12 Bosch NWC-0700 2.0 Megapixel IP cameras

1 Linksys SLM2024 switch

4 Linsys SRW2008 switches

1 3Com or Cisco managed switch as the root switch

All Linsys switches connect to the root switch via fiber

I know that's a lot of switches, but the cameras are distributed across a campus (I think six buildings)

First thing I'd do is check if QoS is being used to manage bandwidth (the switches you listed ARE managed types as well), and if so, see if you can't allocate a little more to the LP cams. You could try plugging a laptop directly into a video server and watch the bandwidth monitor as some cars drive through, to determine about what your peak output of the camera will be. With most types of compression, you'll see a big spike whenever the scene changes rapidly.