renz05725

Viewing DVR with IE help

I have a home owner that called today and asked us to trouble shoot their dvr. They say they can remote view it via IE, but it keeps going down every 3-4 weeks and they have to reset the system because it says network connectivity is not available or something to that affect.

I told them basically if they have a dynamic ip address and not a static ip address, everytime their isp gives them a new/renewed ipmaddress of course they would lose connectivity because that path is lost and needs to be changed to the current ip address.

Is there anyway around that or is a static ip address only way to always have a true path to that dvr? What other methods could i use?

You probably know this by now but....

Not sure if I can say specific web page services for DDNS in this forum. But some have a free updater you can download to a computer on the same network as the DVR. Some DVRs and Routers accept the DDNS service and you will not need the software. Just keep in mind the updater software only works when the computer is on. In my case, at home, we have the software on the laptop and that is turn on everyday so the IP is regularly updated. Works well and able to see the home cameras from work every day.