Hello All,

I have installed a GeoVision system in my PC to monitor 4 cameras. The problem I am having is with the space that the images are taking in the Hard Drive of the computer. I am not sure if the resolution is too high and maybe that is why my HD is filling up in very short time. I do not have a server and all the images are being save locally in the HD. What I have been doing is creating backups on a external HD but this is not what I want. I know that even if I change the resolution the HD is going to fill up but I maybe it would give me more time between each backup.

I attached a few images of the program. It could take about three weeks for the HD to fill up. Is there a way to reduce the video quality so it would not take that much space? When backing up, is there a way to compress the video files?

Let me know if you need more information. Any suggestion is very appreciated.

244708134_ScreenHunter_01Jan_2712_32.jpg.7b3a9798c6f6ef12117d0d65b2b7b835.jpg

376259077_ScreenHunter_02Jan_2712_32.jpg.7b8ad8d11708cdc993d33f1bf1924de6.jpg

1023107602_ScreenHunter_04Jan_2712_33.jpg.5e8cde45f8a06c5ca244c16c4ffba732.jpg

Try reducing the frames/sec setting, as well as the motion sensitivity setting. Also try masking areas that aren't of interest so they don't trigger motion, and look for things that may be improperly triggering motion (monitors or display, hanging signs, etc.)

What size hard drive do you have?

Four cameras, "high" framerate... depending on how much motion is being triggered, I'd say three weeks isn't too bad for <250GB. How are you using the space? Is GV recording to both partitions? Which is the system partition?

Keep in mind that other things are taking up space on the system partition, too... your temp folder won't clean itself, so as things use it, it will tend to take more and more space. Your pagefile is probably taking a couple of gigs. If you use IE on the machine, the Temporary Internet Files folder will be gradually chewing up more and more space as well.

The recommended setup would be a small-ish (20 or so GB) system partition for the OS, GV software, etc., and a separate large partition, dedicated solely to video storage.

Like Soundy said, should have a partition just for the OS.

Keep that anywhere from 20-40GB.

Disable Hibernation.

Disable System Restore.

Disable the Recycle Bin on the VIDEO partition.

Make the Recycle Bin on the OS Partition 1% only.

Make the Page file a fixed size.

Download and install Windows CleanUp! And run that (not in demo mode)

Download and run CCleaner.

Either way with 20-40GB your OS partition should not fill up unless you save a ton of backups to it.

Default Windows XP Install is approx 700MB, plus the Page File.

3 weeks of video is good for that size drive, I get less with larger, depends on the location.

Other things you can do as mentioned is drop the frame rates on lower priority cameras.

If you are already set to 320x240 you are already recording everything in low resolution (and hence 3 weeks compared to say 7-14 days), if you are recording in 720x480 drop it top 640x480 and that will give you much longer recording and still be near D1, smaller video size (eg. 80MB compared to 200MB). You could also sacrifice some video quality by setting the compression to Geo H.264 or .ASP instead of Geo MPeg4, which will also cause the file size to be smaller, longer recording.