leesiulung

Help: Security System DIY

This might be off topic, but I'm thinking of installing a security system myself. My budget is less than $300-500 (cheaper is better) and easy to do myself i.e. I'm a total beginner with little patience when it comes to fixing the home.

Maybe a security system with cameras and opportunity for home automation in the future which most likely means something that can be connected to the internet is preferred. Right now I have nothing, no DVR, no camera, no panel and no sensor. I'm in California if that matters.

Just wondering if anyone have any suggestions?

By security system, do you mean alarms system? Or a camera recording system?

I honestly would say you should save up money under your budget is higher, for that budget, you cannot get much that will be useful when its put to the test.

Now if you meant alarm system, yes, you can do that for under $500. Maybe go with a residential DSC 1832 system. I can PM you with a store that is dedicated to selling kits for these, they are very reasonably priced. DSC systems are very common in residential homes. (I have one!)

I actually don't know what I was really looking for. I was hoping for a alarm system combined with a camera system/dvr, but that sounds like out of the question.

1. How is the DSC system?

2. It looks like it uses a phone line to contact someone/me (?) if somebody tries to break in?

3. How does the wireless part work?

4. Does the wireless sensors use batteries? If not, is there an alternative way to power those devices rather than running thick power cords into the house?

I hate monthly fees so if I can avoid that, it would be great.

If you want a DIY type alarm system that is good also check out Powermax by visonic. Easy to install and program and not bad at all - my alarm background is I installed and serviced Ademco (Honeywell) for 6 years and still maintain some for the past 10 years.

Ademco is another very good option! Probably easier to program than the DSC's!

Oh - just have to say the DSC 1832 is the most current version of the 832 series, not just the 832.

The DSC system (most all residential alarms) are designed to call the monitoring company. BUT, since you are the one installing it, you can simply enter YOUR cell phone number into the first number bank. I have done this on my system, it works great! Now if you don't have a phone line, you can go with a cellular call-out option, or even use an internet-connected solution.

I added a PC5928 board (& corresponding speaker/mic) so that when the alarm goes off, it calls me, and I can hear what is going on in the house, AND speak through a loudspeaker. I have a siren inside the home, and a HUGE siren outside the house paired with a strobe light. (Will be very easy for police to find my house!) Motion detector on each level, glass break sensor on each level, all windows, doors have sensors. Even have a sensor on the garage door, as well as on the hinge of the alarm cabinet.

The DSC system is very versatile, they make extra modules for everything from sensing extra zones, to a wireless zone receiver, to different keypads, like simple LED ones, or full LCD ones (A lot easier to program with!) If you don't want to run wires, the wireless system works quite well. You buy one receiver module, as well as transmitters for each window/door. These are all designed with serious security in mind, so the transmitters "check-in" fairly often, and the system will throw a tamper/jamming trouble code if it looses reception. If the alarm is armed it will go off. No jamming allowed! Batteries may get replaced like every 2-3 years, they use those 3VDC batteries. Wireless motion's and glass-breaks are available as well.

Here is a typical "starter kit", with the basics:

DSCKit32219CP01NT2-1.jpg

You can see the main panel, siren, motion detector, LCD keypad, backup battery, main pc5010 board, RJ31X (keeps thieves from disabling call-out by taking a house phone off-hook), and wall transformer.

Of course, you need a few more things, like sensors for all doors and windows (maybe garage too!), at least one glassbreak detector, maybe another motion detector, and of course 2 and 4 conductor alarm wire. I highly recommend an outdoor siren and strobe as well.

Check out also the Honeywell/Ademco Vista 20P. Bit of a learning curve but can do a lot. We've interfaced it to the RadioRa lighting and other devices. Aesecurity has reasonable prices and support, and it is well supported in forums also. Add a 4204 relay card to interface to the DVR contact closure input.

Now, I'm completely clueless about alarm systems, but technical competent. I'm a computer programmer by day, so it is realistic that I should be able to install these systems on my own with the included instruction manual?

I see talk about PCB boards, are the instructions clear or am I in for a little rough personal journey?

I kind of like the DSC system so far based on the description.

Its really quite simple.

dsc_5010-1.jpg

-Basically, the main board (pc5010) gets mounted in the panel.

-Keypads and other modules get wired into to 4-wire 'key-bus' (RED, BLK, YEL, GRN).

-Individual sensors in each area are wired in series to different zones (one end in Z1, other end in COM, for example). You may wish to use EOL (End Of Line) resistors so that tampers can be sensed.

-Motion's and glass-breaks get 4-wire to them, 2 for power from AUX, 2 that act like any other sensor.

-On the left is your AC power in from the transformer.

-On the right is your telephone line connection, to go to the RJ31X jack. 2 wires for phone line from telco disconnect, 2 to go out to house phones. (This is handled in the jack, though, so it can be easily disconnected while keeping the phone lines working).

-PGM outputs can be used for additional sirens, maybe to switch a relay, anything really.

-Bell output for connecting a siren.

Programming is rather simple. Save yourself a headache and get the LCD keypad, its a lot easier to use.

So here's a little intro into programming... To get into the programming mode, I enter *8 5010. It will beep, and red light turns on. 5010 is the default installers' code. ALL settings are inside 'sections'. Now lets say I added a second keypad. I need to register it with the system so it can detect if its tampered with. I will enter 902 to go into section 902 which enrolls all the modules. Let it sit, it will find all keypads and modules.

Now lets say I want to set it so all keypads will keep their screens back-lit so they can be found easily when coming home. Press to get out of section 902 (if necessary). Enter section 016 by entering; 016. Different numbers may appear. These show options that are enabled/disabled. To enable keypad backlighting, enter 5, which should come up on the screen. If we are done with everything, press # until the red light goes out.

I can provide you with the installers manuals in case they are not included.

Now, I'm completely clueless about alarm systems, but technical competent. I'm a computer programmer by day, so it is realistic that I should be able to install these systems on my own with the included instruction manual?

I see talk about PCB boards, are the instructions clear or am I in for a little rough personal journey?

I kind of like the DSC system so far based on the description.

or mount everything yourself but pay someone to just come and do the final hookup and program?

Yes, you can figure it out. The programming is a bit tedious and some of the sections are a bit cryptic, but it's all there in the manual.

Also, if you plan to use a monitoring service, check out GeoArm. They monitor DIY alarm installs. Customer assistance is excellent. I installed a Vista 20P and my system is a bit out of the ordinary, and they are very eager to provide any assistance I need, including things like custom zone type programming, which you probably won't need, but they will do it if you need it.

I use Honeywell Total Connect to monitor the alarm system and Exacq to monitor the cameras in my iPhone. TC for the iPhone is basic and does what it needs, and Exacq for the iPhone is amazingly responsive. A nice combo.

Best,

Christopher

So this is what I'm needing to cover:

- 7 windows (all sliding either horizontal or vertical)

- 3 entry doors

- 2 patio doors (the sliding kind)

- 1x garage door

It's a two bedroom town home, so likely a sensor on each floor (even though the top floor is really hard to climb up).

With that said, I'm looking at some cellular based solutions. They are rather costly at $200+ for just the device. Is this the normal expected cost?

With that said, I'm looking at some cellular based solutions. They are rather costly at $200+ for just the device. Is this the normal expected cost?

Yes. You might save some money if you get a combo, such as the Vista 20IP with GSM. Also, IP plus GSM monitoring is typically cheaper than GSM only monitoring (the GSM is backup and only used if IP is down). So, I would recommend getting both an IP/GSM module.

Best,

Christopher

We use radio down here instead of phone in special cases. Our cellular network sucks really, and this way we dont have to depend on the Telco.

So where do people buy their security system?

Who are considered a good helpful and reputable online dealer?

http://www.homesecuritystore.com and http://www.safemart.com have good prices and tech support is helpful. http://www.geoarm.com has excellent service. I've purchased from all three with satisfaction. I use GeoArm monitoring and they will remotely program your system for your specific configuration and needs. If you get GSM, I would recommend getting that from GeoArm so they can configure it before it ships.

Best,

Christopher

So where do people buy their security system?

Who are considered a good helpful and reputable online dealer?

http://www.homesecuritystore.com and http://www.safemart.com have good prices and tech support is helpful. http://www.geoarm.com has excellent service. I've purchased from all three with satisfaction. I use GeoArm monitoring and they will remotely program your system for your specific configuration and needs. If you get GSM, I would recommend getting that from GeoArm so they can configure it before it ships.

Best,

Christopher

They program the panel?? Or do you mean they just add your panel/ zones to their central station?

They program the panel?? Or do you mean they just add your panel/ zones to their central station?

Yep, they will program the panel for you. Give them descriptions for the various zones and serial numbers of the wireless devices, and that's pretty much all they need for most installs. I needed some custom zone types and thought I would have to do it myself, but they just asked what I wanted and they did the programming for that too. I know how to program the Ademco panels, but it's a bit tedious using a keypad. I don't know the user interface they use (probably developed and licensed by Honeywell), but I'm sure it's significantly easier than using a keypad. Everything is done remotely, so if you need to add more devices or make changes, they will do that for you.

Best,

Christopher

Yep, they will program the panel for you. Give them descriptions for the various zones and serial numbers of the wireless devices, and that's pretty much all they need for most installs. I needed some custom zone types and thought I would have to do it myself, but they just asked what I wanted and they did the programming for that too. I know how to program the Ademco panels, but it's a bit tedious using a keypad. I don't know the user interface they use (probably developed and licensed by Honeywell), but I'm sure it's significantly easier than using a keypad. Everything is done remotely, so if you need to add more devices or make changes, they will do that for you.

Best,

Christopher

Compass Downloader software (free), you can get a modem and also do it yourself with that.

BTW the software was from Ademco days, 16 bit, still old and fragile. Dont see why its never been updated, but anyway it works.

Well surely there's some programming that needs to be done from the panel... like what number to dial out, what the ID number is, the dialing method (1+2 fast or whatever the options are) etc...

Unless you buy it pre-programmed from the monitoring service and it's no longer at factory default??? That must mean a contract... I'm sure they would lock the end user out of programming if that was the case....

That's interesting that a central station can program a panel remotely... I didn't know that. That's a little scary in my opinion... Obviously it's "secure" somehow?

Just to clarify... are you sure that they are not just changing the labels on their central station to tell the operators what zone is what? Meaning Zone 1= Front Door. Zone 2= Kitchen motion. Zone 3= Garage door. Etc...

That's interesting that a central station can program a panel remotely... I didn't know that. That's a little scary in my opinion... Obviously it's "secure" somehow?

I did this for several years, still work on the computers and software. Initially the user has to "send" the panel to you so you can get into it. Your software will have a manually set ID for that account called the CSID, once saved it then uses that ID for future connections which can then be done without them sending the panel to you.

Well surely there's some programming that needs to be done from the panel... like what number to dial out, what the ID number is, the dialing method (1+2 fast or whatever the options are) etc...

They never had the panel in their possession. I purchased the panel elsewhere. I did purchase the GSM from them, and they did activate the GSM before sending it, but I could have purchased the GSM module from someone else too.

Unless you buy it pre-programmed from the monitoring service and it's no longer at factory default??? That must mean a contract...

IP/GSM is useless without a contract, and yes, I currently have a month-to-month on trial and will switch to multi-year for cost savings. But I own all the equipment and I don't have to stay on contract if I don't want to. The GSM would no longer do anything, but the panel and the rest of the system would continue to function just fine.

I'm sure they would lock the end user out of programming if that was the case....

Nope. I'm not locked out and I can continue to make any changes I want. At this point, when I want to make changes, it's easier to tell them what I want since they have my profile on file, but I can easily change the chime list or voice enunciation or user code or whatever I want. GeoArm is different from other alarm companies. They specifically target the DIY.

There is another thread about port forwarding to all cameras. Some of us think that is a bad idea. A lot of these devices have back doors, and in some cases, front doors. Some of these back doors are by design, and some are just security flaws.

Just to clarify... are you sure that they are not just changing the labels on their central station to tell the operators what zone is what? Meaning Zone 1= Front Door. Zone 2= Kitchen motion. Zone 3= Garage door. Etc...

I don't know if they can reconfigure the GSM module remotely, but they can change anything in the panel remotely. For example, they could change the installer code and/or user code and walk right in.

Best,

Christopher

Wow! I didn't know that... And I install a panel about once every 2 months! lol... of course what I install is a little streamlined and probably a little different than the residential DIY kind of stuff you guys are talking about.

of course what I install is a little streamlined and probably a little different than the residential DIY kind of stuff you guys are talking about.

It's probably the same equipment you install. Vista, LYNX, Simon, Visonic, etc.

For a very brief period Honeywell toyed with the idea of IP monitoring by the home owner with NO need for a CS (the device was available for a brief period), but installers did not want to install that equipment because it would kill the recurring revenue, so now the IP module must connect to a CS to function. There is a USB device from a third party that connects to the panel comm port for about $100. A DIY can use this device to monitor their system without the need for a CS, and do lots of other functions too.

Best,

Christopher

Edit: That should have been "... IP monitoring by the homeowner with NO need for a CS ..."

Edited by Guest

Wow! I didn't know that... And I install a panel about once every 2 months! lol... of course what I install is a little streamlined and probably a little different than the residential DIY kind of stuff you guys are talking about.

Im not talking DIY, talking regular Burglar Alarm systems, all Honeywell alarms.

BTW you can also use a null modem and do a direct connect to the panel.

Regarding the GSM, can I use my own SIM card. Let's say a prepaid card from T-Mobile and have it call me when something happens?

I don't want any contracts, and I technically don't have much that is worth stealing (or be afraid of if I loose). I just want a piece of mind that the home isn't left unattended for months at a time.