platinum

What to get for a better image then a DBM-24VD ?? >>

Looking for a camera that has a better image then a CNB DBM-24VD. Currently with the DBM-24VD the daytime image indoors is acceptable but looking for a little better. The night image is nonexistent so I am assuming I will need something with IR.

I have two applications I am trying to design for;

1. Fairly large living room that needs to have an IR throw of ~50 feet. There is no light in this room at night currently.

2. Babies room that has little to no light at night.

Appreciate the help

How high is the camera going to be mounted?

Also when you say the daytime image is not good how do you mean?

Looking for better day and night image. I can deal with the daytime image if needed but you can’t see anything at night unless there is an external light source.

To define better image on the daytime, I am looking for better clarify. It’s hard to make out details such as writing on a shirt or picture in the room. I can get facial recognition so it will work but just looking at what else is out there. I am guessing higher resolution is what I need.

Looking at the CNB LBM-24VF but the image quality is not going to be any better. It should fix the night time image problem though.

The cameras are mounted about 10 feet off the ground.

Make sure sharpness is turned to max in the OSD and that the camera is focused properly.

Ok... I wil try that tonight and report back. I am still going to need something different for the night issue.

If the sharpness setting fixes the image quality, will the LBM-24VF be a good replacement since it has IR?

thanks for the help.

Why dont you like them? It would seem that would cause some type of glare or interference. Is that why?

The VB series looks like it is only 12v

Yeah as the IR is inside the dome so could cause light to bounce back on the lens, not all the time but can happen.

Yeah most turret domes are only 12VDC ..

I mean you can try the other one, indoors probably will be fine. I havent used it so cant say for certain.

Most of our problems are when they are used outdoors and they get dirty and then the IR hits that and it bounces back onto the lens. If you do try it PLEASE let us know how it works out, costs me 3 times the price to try it out .. you will be helping us

Though the LBM-20S might suffice for indoors.

Adam's right... a snapshot is worth a thousand words.

However, be careful that you are not expecting too much from an "analog" style camera during the day. No matter what anyone tells you, they only have so many pixels to yield. I'm not defending CNB, I don't care for the particular camera you're talking about either... However don't expect a huge leap in the daytime picture quality vs any other analog camera. (Assuming nothing is wrong with the camera)

Examples of megapixel cameras:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11322

I messed with the focus a little bit. it seems to be best at 15/20. it was a 10/20.

Attached is a shot with all the lights on in the room.

The mexapixal cameras are nice. I am assuming those are all IP based?

LV_image.jpg.209e72df89b4486d495b7ce76032e3cc.jpg

Sharpness is not focus, also sharpness should be at max, 20.

Also what DVR are you using and whats the encoding/compression at?

Yes, most if not all are IP based in that thread.

There are some coax-style "HD" cameras out there... but they require very specialized and proprietary equipment to capture the signal. As of the moment, most "HD" or megapixel cameras are IP based...

I meant sharpnesss not focus... sorry. So all the cameras should always have the sharpness set to 20?

DVR is a CNB HDE2424DV. How do I tell what the compression is set at. I dont see a setting for that. Under the record options it is set for the following:

Resolution : D1

Quality : Very High

IPS :26

It looks like a compressed snapshot of a video that has been sent through the DVR. But I would agree that you might be expecting too much out of Analog. With Analog, you can usually get a few more cameras and shoot them at different angles to get closeup and wide angle shots. With MP cameras you can use less cameras because of the better image quality.

Depending on the scenario, cost comparisons can vary.

Yes, most if not all are IP based in that thread.

There are some coax-style "HD" cameras out there... but they require very specialized and proprietary equipment to capture the signal. As of the moment, most "HD" or megapixel cameras are IP based...

Doesnt sound like this is something that will work with my current setup. Are they any analog cameras that are better then the one I am using?

Of course... but don't expect anything radically better. For really good face recognition... I try to get the person's face on at LEAST 20% of the screen.. The more the better. Homeboy on the couch (is that you? . .. his face is about 3% of the screen.... No matter how good the analog camera, that ain't gonna be enough to get great detail.

Think New Anchor. When a story is being read... they usually don't have a crazy wide shot of the studio. They have a nice tight shot where the anchor's big head takes up 40% of the screen or more.

Could you maybe hook the camera right up to the composite input on a TV? Then you can get a feel for what it should look like. Looks like maybe too much compression is hurting the picture.

Did a quick calc with the picture in GIMP - his face right now is less than 1% of the whole picture.

Thanks for the information guys...

I uped the sharpness to 20 and refocused the camera. It looks a little better. It sounds like a need to focus with a standard TV and the video out on the camera. I dont have standard TV but I will figure something out.

When I get the IR camera, I will zoom in a bit more to make sure I get 20% + face recognition in the traffic area.

The next problem is I dont see a CNB IR camera that is 24v.

What about switching to the VF model. it has .005 lux instead of .05 and is 24v. Will the difference in Min. Illumination make a differnce?

their 24VAC cameras normally are a bit more. The LBM-24VF is a Monalisa also, so should be an IR Replacement for the one you have now, but also has a Removable IR Cut filter while the other one is a Fixed IR cut filter, also making the price go up.

The LMB-24VF is 0.1 Lux (Color), 0.01 Lux (B/W), 0 Lux with IR

Meant for indoor with lighting and works under very low lighting, and has the IR for pitch dark. It has a removable IR cut filter for the dark and it is more sensitive than the ones with the fixed IR cut filter.

DBM-24VD is 0.1 Lux (Color), 0.05 Lux (B/W)

This is meant for indoor and lighting, performs better than other non color cameras in low light. Has a fixed IR cut filter so colors are natural and not washed out. It is not a True day night camera.

The DBM-24VF is more likely the same chipset as the LMB-24VF, and the VCM and VBM-24VF. It also has the Removable IR Cut filter so it is more sensitive in low light.

I dont go by their listed lux levels anymore though as its all over the place. It is likely faceplate in the case of the 0.005.

However the DBM-24VF still needs light, without it, it will just pixelize more or see nothing. Since you have no light at night and its indoors, you are probably better off with the LMB-24VF. That said you could still use the LBM-20S and just use a 12vdc plug in adapter. It is max 360ma current so 4 of them would need at least a 1.5ma or better yet a 2amp. That camera is almost half the cost of the LMB-24VF- though has a wide angle lens so cant manually zoom it in during the install. The nice thing about them though, if they are similar to the non IR monalisa DFL-20s, is that they come with a focused fixed lens - Ive used alot of the DFL-20s and never had to focus them yet.

Ofcourse I havent used the DBM-24VD, DBM-24VF, LMB-24VF, or LMB-20s, so this is all just theory based on what I have used from them and what their tech support has told me about the DBM-24VD.

Hi platinum. I would assume that a CNB dvr would record better videos than the snapshot shown by you, especially at max settings. Are you using quality rg59 cables and connectors? That may affect your picture quality. I custom made all my cables and the resulting videos improved drastically compared to my original store bought cables.