marvelusmarvcus

HELP HELP HELP panasonic cw484 dome camera making loud noise

my panasonic cw484 dome camera is making a loud noise.

this used to only happen for very short periods, so i assumed it was some type of fan to remove condensation or something.

now it is either always on or on for very long periods.

the sound is annoying loud, which sucks because i have this camera inside.

i opened the camera but i still cant even locate where the sound is coming from exactly.

anyone have any experience with this?

thanks for the help.

The only moving parts in that camera are the iris, the IR-cut filter, and the auto-backfocus system. Iris is the only thing that should be changing regularly on its own... ICR only activates when the camera switches between day and night modes, and the ABF AFAIK only activates when the appropriate button is pushed (although I found one brochure that says the camera activates it in conjunction with the ICR).

In short, there's nothing mechanical that SHOULD be operating on a constant basis... is the picture changing at all when this is happening?

Maybe the IR cut filter mechanism is stuck?

Ive never used this camera, can you take a photo of it close up near the lens?

Maybe the IR cut filter mechanism is stuck?

Ive never used this camera, can you take a photo of it close up near the lens?

I'd say that's a good guess, that would explain the constant buzzing as it tries to activate the filter.

Is it in color or B&W mode? Does it change modes when it gets dark? If the filter is stuck in place, it would probably go B&W at night but stay fairly dark... if the filter is stuck "out of place" then the color in the day would seem really "off" and possibly washed out.

Looking at the brochure for that camera it also says it has;

Electrolysis Dehumidification Device

Functioning as an electric dryer, it reduces condensation by electrolyzing internal moisture and continuously

discharging it from the camera.

Anti-shock Auto Back Focus (ABF)

New miniaturized mechanism provides greater accuracy and shock resistance

Not so sure about the Dehumidification device as that is electric, but the Back focus says it is a mechanism.

More info:

Miniaturization of the mechanism, smooth and highly precise CCD migration and greater shock resistance are benefits realized by driving the cam and ball bearing structure with a miniature actuator.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/cctv/SpecSheets/WV-CW484_Series_10_06.pdf

the picture is perfect, still switches from color to black and white. nothing at all changed with the picture quality or function.

rory mentioned the part that i thought it might be

"Electrolysis Dehumidification Device

Functioning as an electric dryer, it reduces condensation by electrolyzing internal moisture and continuously

discharging it from the camera."

i was thinking this part might be stuck, but i dont know where it is or how to fix it.

How is the light handling? The AI also has a moving part .. on some domes and bullets it and the ICR are together inside the same mechanism. Although if thats stuck (its made up of a couple flimsy pieces of cardboard like material and flimsy thin metal makes up the mechanism enclosure, typically) then the ICR should also be stuck.

I was also thinking maybe it could be that other mechanism for the auto back focus?

the picture is perfect, still switches from color to black and white. nothing at all changed with the picture quality or function.

Is there a "click" when it switches modes? That would be the ICR flipping out of the way... normally the picture should get brighter momentarily when it switches to B&W, because of the filter moving out of the way.

rory mentioned the part that i thought it might be

"Electrolysis Dehumidification Device

discharging it from the camera."

From the description, I don't get the idea that this actually has any moving parts... electrolysis is just an electrical reaction process.

im stuck

i think im gonna move the camera outdoors where the noise wont bother me

i wish i knew where to shoot the wd-40, cause the camera seems to be working fine otherwise

Just give it a good slap! I've had that technique work multiple times with countless electronics. (this is actually true)

On second thought don't do that...

So what kind of sound is it?

A buzzing sound may be the power supply or possibly small transformer in there to convert 24VAC down, before its converted to DC. Probably not anything breaking...

A whining or high pitched squealing could be 'coil-whine' (some power converters will have coils). You've probably heard it from a computer PSU at some point. I have an old Dell desktop computer that would whine if I loaded the CPU more than about 75%!

If there is a fan inside, maybe the temperature sensor has malfunctioned, and the fan is running all the time? Maybe the bearing are worn out, that can be very loud! Also VERY easy to replace!

I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!

there is a little fan that stands up along the outer rim when you have the dome off. the model number is copalf 251r if you ever need to look it up. it seems this fan runs all the time.

i hit the fan with some wd40 and also tried to clear it out of any debris. the noise was still there. tightened all the screws, still noise.

the noise was coming from the outer casing of the fan or something vibrating near the fan. so i pulled a macgyver and reinstalled the fan sitting on some foam tape. BINGO, NOISE GONE.

thank you guys for all the help. i wanted to make sure i posted my answer just in case anyone else has the problem, although you might want to try another way of resolving it, lol.

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

Glad you fixed it!

It's interesting that the fan runs all the time. I would think it would just turn on when it's hot.

When the fans in cameras start making alot of noise, unless I can find one to replace it with or can fix it as you did, I just cut their wires, the cameras still worked the same.

I was going to mention that fan... it's a tiny little 20mm or so in size.

I have one of those that exhibits a slightly audible whine almost all of the time.

When the fans in cameras start making alot of noise, unless I can find one to replace it with or can fix it as you did, I just cut their wires, the cameras still worked the same.

I have the same camera mounted indoors. It has made a steady light pitched hum, typical of any fan I've seen that size, since installing it new. One can hear it as they walk under the cam and I always wondered when that fan would go since it is tiny and seems easy to break. I'll probably end up disconnecting it as well.

Just give it a good slap!

fonzie-1.jpg

Don't forget to say "heyyyyyyyyyy"

Another devotee of the Arthur Fonzarelli School of Camera Repair!