tops

door bell nuisance and cctv

hi, kids ringing my intercom outside my house, they hold it down for a long time, so it may break and is really a nuisance. want to get cctv, the type that runs off wifi and is viewable online.

how long does this system record for?

are the wireless ones ok at getting a good pic when its dark? should I fit a

security motion light as well, so I get a good picture.

saw these on ebay, any suggestions?

I dont understand the IP issue, do modern ones work ok with dynamic IP, Ive read online it needs to be static, but not many IPs are nowadays....

do you think I will have trouble setting one up myself, or should I get a tradesman, I got a ridiculous quote of

£1500 and gave up there, given that I can get a system of same quality for £200-£400 on ebay, do you think an electrician would be able to do all the work required to fit?

Do you think it is also a deterrent, if they know they will get filmed?

Apart from this I thought it might be a good idea for general security, although no creal crime around here, a 2 or 4 camera system would be useful. However for the one near the gate, it is not near power or not near house , how do you suggest wiring to plugpoint indoors? are these cables weather proof, do they need to go below ground? any other advice?

hi, kids ringing my intercom outside my house, they hold it down for a long time, so it may break and is really a nuisance. want to get cctv, the type that runs off wifi and is viewable online.

how long does this system record for?

are the wireless ones ok at getting a good pic when its dark? should I fit a

security motion light as well, so I get a good picture.

saw these on ebay, any suggestions?

I dont understand the IP issue, do modern ones work ok with dynamic IP, Ive read online it needs to be static, but not many IPs are nowadays....

do you think I will have trouble setting one up myself, or should I get a tradesman, I got a ridiculous quote of

£1500 and gave up there, given that I can get a system of same quality for £200-£400 on ebay, do you think an electrician would be able to do all the work required to fit?

Do you think it is also a deterrent, if they know they will get filmed?

Apart from this I thought it might be a good idea for general security, although no creal crime around here, a 2 or 4 camera system would be useful. However for the one near the gate, it is not near power or not near house , how do you suggest wiring to plugpoint indoors? are these cables weather proof, do they need to go below ground? any other advice?

Hi tops. one thing i would say is stay away from ebay and maplins. just a waste of money.

as far as a static ip no you dont need one you could just set-up a ddns account. but see first if you can get a static from your isp.

if you have your intercom at your entrance then you can add a camera to your system

so ebay no good? saw some UK sellers, with good graphics on system pics. ok, so which wifi system is good then?

when you say camera added to intercom, do you mean the power supply of the intercom? ok didnt think of that..quite a difficult job though as its all built in to the stone pillar of gates.

so ebay no good? saw some UK sellers, with good graphics on system pics. ok, so which wifi system is good then?

when you say camera added to intercom, do you mean the power supply of the intercom? ok didnt think of that..quite a difficult job though as its all built in to the stone pillar of gates.

Hi tops. with you just needing 4 camera system i would use a wired system. what systems have you been looking at. also a intercom system is not that hard to convert to have a camera attached .......... were are you in the uk

I have seen a door view intercom that takes motion detected snapshots of anyone

approaching the door. It doesn't say if it records onto a SD card but it must have some

means of exporting it's pictures. Be careful what you buy, most of the intercoms that take

snapshots, require the caller to press the bell-button.

On the other hand you could get a doorview camera and DVR provided the offenders

need to approach your door to hit the button, this will capture their images up close.

If you have to drill to install one of these, drill very low (about 4 feet up) or you will get

a great picture of their baseball cap.

Nothing puts kids off more than knowing another kid has been caught and reported to police.

Good luck whatever you do, but don't expect much change out of £100 including the recording device.

hi Im in middlesex, southeast UK

some great suggestions there...

when you say drill low, is low a good place? can it not be obscured or damaged this way? is high up and pointing down somehow better, it cant be reached then? also if it is at face level and they know this is a camera, they wont look directly at it, Ive noticed they may think intercom is already a camera (it isnt) and they kind of stretch their arm and face away! Ive seen this from my window...

what about the dark issue, they often do it after it gets dark.

alternatively and this is my second choice (I prefer it at the gate) is one attached to house, it may be easier to wire, can it get good enough film of gate which is approx 15 metres away, it would catch offenders from above. do they have a zoom for close up views?

am I allowed to post ebay links here? I will show you some of the things I mean?

others post ebay links. so i should think so . if you can see your gate from your house (15m) then yes it would be best installing the camera on your house looking over your gate. when looking for IR cameras remember to add the distance you need i.e 15m plus hight 5m = 20m so look for a camera with 25-30m IR range. one camera we did use last year we connected to a intercom system. it watched over the drive until the intercom button was pressed then it would zoom in to the intercom then 20s later it would return to watching the drive.

588_i-1.jpg

Model SK-P700IRD/M844AI

SK-P700IRD/M845AI

Image Sensor 1/3" COLOR SONY SUPER

HAD CCD II

1/3" COLOR SONY Vertical

Double Density Interline CCD

Pixel 410K

Scanning System 2:1 Interlace

Sync. Type Internal / External(Line-Lock)

Resolution 600 TV-LINE(COLOR), 700 TV-LINE(B/W)

S/N 52dB or More(AGC OFF)

Video Output 1.0 Vp-p(Sync. Negative) Termination 75?

Min. Illumination 0.01 Lux(F/1.2), 0.0003Lux(Sense up)

0.05 Lux(F/1.2),

0.0003Lux(Sense up)

Gamma ?=0.45 typ.(0.45, 0.6, 1.0, user)

OSD Yes(Multi Language)

White Balance ATW(2,500°K~9,500°K)/MANUAL/AWC

Shutter Speed 1/60(1/50)~1/100,000sec

Sense up Auto(Selectable limit 2X~256X)/Fixed/Off

Backlight BLC/LWDR/HLC/OFF

BLC/WDR/HLC/OFF

AGC LOW/MIDDLE/HIGH/OFF

DNR(3D) LOW/MIDDLE/HIGH/OFF

Motion Detection ON/OFF (240 Block)

Privacy Zone ON/OFF (8 Zone)

Mirror H/V/BOTH

Freeze ON/OFF

Day & Night ICR(AUTO, COLOR, B/W)

LED Brightness 70pcs(LOW, MIDDLE, HIGH, OFF)

DIS ON/OFF

Digital Zoom ON(10X)/OFF

Blemish Compensation AUTO/OFF

Impact Detection LOW/MIDDLE/HIGH/OFF

Communication RS-485(Protocol : Pelco D, Pelco P)

Lens Vari-focal auto iris lens

Power Supply 12V DC or 24V AC(Dual Voltage)

Current Consumption MAX. 1.3A(at 12V DC, 24V AC) : LED ON

Fan, Heater Yes

Operation Temp. -20°C ~ 50°C

Preservation Temp. -20°C ~ 60°C

Dimension 141.9(W) X 80.2(H) X 183.3(D) mm

hi Im in middlesex, southeast UK

some great suggestions there...

when you say drill low, is low a good place? can it not be obscured or damaged this way? is high up and pointing down somehow better, it cant be reached then? also if it is at face level and they know this is a camera, they wont look directly at it, Ive noticed they may think intercom is already a camera (it isnt) and they kind of stretch their arm and face away! Ive seen this from my window...

what about the dark issue, they often do it after it gets dark.

alternatively and this is my second choice (I prefer it at the gate) is one attached to house, it may be easier to wire, can it get good enough film of gate which is approx 15 metres away, it would catch offenders from above. do they have a zoom for close up views?

am I allowed to post ebay links here? I will show you some of the things I mean?

Thats a great looking camera, also looks expensive eh?

Thank heavens for doorways and gateways where normal people walk through to get to your door. In my experience, people upto no good

are not like those of us with reasonable behavior and don't respect the path laid out for them, prefering to do the unreasonable thing and clim a wall or kick in a gate. from my perspective CATCHING THEM IS THE BEST DETERENT so a covert camera rather than a overt one is the way to tackle this.

Depending on the doorview camera you choose, you will need to supplement the lighting using spots rather than IR which can be expensive. Here my plan falls down as the market offerings are not particularly good for doorview cameras.

If you prefer to have the camera view the gate and can hide it sufficiently well to record before it is seen, then there are some very good low light bullet cameras. One trick I have heard is to do something to cause the offender or anyone else to look straight into the lens is by causing some attraction noise, either a beep or flashing LED to trigger once the camera registers motion on the camera. I have no idea how to do this as I have never had occasion to need this technique. Crafty though isn't it. I think an IR night vision camera placed fairly obviously combined with a warning sign would cause the subject to look for and find the camera. TOO late, becuse yo already have their image.

To work out what lens you would need to frame a pic of your offender remember that most night vision cameras have a 1/3 inch CCD and you can measure the distance to where you want the subject standing so now you are in a position to calculate the lens you will need.

Follow this link to calculate the lens you need and then go and buy either a varifocal lens or fixed lens camera with appropiate lens. For a distance of 49 feet and a width of about 4 feet ( which is wide enough to fill half the frame, using a cam with 1/3 inch CCD you need a lens of nearly 60 mm focal length now we are talking about a zoom camera. Have you seen your bank manager recently?

here are some item numbers on ebay:

sorry urls didnt seem to stick on here..anyway search words I put in were - dvr night cctv - and I went for UK only.

thing is, I am looking for something that receives images either on continuous record or motion detector and overwrites tape between around every 14-30 days, and has night vision. I think having it viewable online is useful if you are away, but it is not essential. Anyone tell me which is best one?

oh yes, about the one you pictured, thats just a camera right? does it come with a system? so, inc fitting, how much do you think?

Sorry to say this but not impressed by any of those at all.

If you want a PC Based DVR then I would recommend Henry' CCTV a bit more expensive

but the guys there are avery helpful if you get into difficulty installing or setting up.

and look at one or more of this camera 380302839501 on ebay (a real bargain} with a varifocal lens.

600TVL and a good strong wall bracket No extra housing needed

Better to have two great cameras than four lousy ones.

Here is a link to some online videos (BY CCTV42) that will help you choose the features you want from a DVR and where to place your cameras for best effect They taught me a fair bit too when I started fitting my own cameras.

Incidentally, I bought a Apollo Zeus MkII (A-Data) 500 GB HDD and internet viewing less than £170 ( A Standalone system)

It can do all the things you wanted (and there is even a downloadable remote viewer for Max OSX)

You can control the area of the screen that triggers Motion detection, and the sensitivity and motion

triggering can record any camera or combination of cameras I got it from Online Security

They also do a great range of cameras and accessories. Ebay is not always the answer but it is convenient

Also try looking at Security Tec's website for both DVRs and night vision cameras

There's nothing wrong with buying from ebay...

However, buyer beware. Expect ZERO support and expect to be sold cheap Chinese crap.

In order to be successful in buying from ebay for cctv, you need to be WELL educated and experienced on the topic in order to read between all the BS lines.

"Good graphics" in an ad doesn't make the product better.

I visit trade shows now and again for this business... I have found that the companies with the fanciest booths and flashiest flyers can also have the $hi+e$+ products with the largest markups.

Incidentally, I bought a Apollo Zeus MkII (A-Data) 500 GB HDD and internet viewing less than £170 ( A Standalone system)

It can do all the things you wanted (and there is even a downloadable remote viewer for Max OSX)

You can control the area of the screen that triggers Motion detection, and the sensitivity and motion

triggering can record any camera or combination of cameras I got it from Online Security

They also do a great range of cameras and accessories. Ebay is not always the answer but it is convenient

Also try looking at Security Tec's website for both DVRs and night vision cameras

Numb-nuts. are you getting paid to advertise all these people ???? the apollo is a bad dvr hence the price.

Edited by Guest

Tom, LOL! Exactly....

Either numb nuts is a slimy short sighted salesman or he is not as well experienced in cctv as he may think is.

ok thanks, I will have a look around and update you...btw, what would you say would be fair for a 4 camera similar sytem inc fitting?