lowpro

Need help adjusting a Honeywell HD70 camera...Pics included.

Hi Guys.

I was hoping to get some help out with a camera swap that I did. I have a 4 camera Q-See system and I'm really tempted to purchase a better new system after reading all the good info on this forum board. I was able to get this Honeywell HD70 dome camera (NIB) from a swap on Craigslist. I swapped out a bike rack that I wasn't using, so it didn't really cost me anything to have a new toy.

These are pictures from the dvr, not live.

Old Q-See 3.6mm bullet camera

qsee2pm-1.jpg

qseenight-1.jpg

New Honeywell HD70 4mm dome camera

So I'm having some issues with the night picture on the Honeywell camera. It has 3 switches...

1) Flicker On/Off

2) AGC On/Off

3) BLC On/Off

Only thing ON is the AGC.

First shot before I realized that I had mistakenly taken out the foam ring, I thought it was shipping materials.

No foam ring, 6pm.

hwnofoam6pm-1.jpg

2nd day

hw2pm-1.jpg

6pm and with foam ring in! Not much better.

hw6pm-1.jpg

And this is with me messing with the brightness settings on the dvr itself. Still not great.

hwadjustedwithir-1.jpg

Can anyone tell me if maybe the settings are wrong? Should I turn off the AGC? Am I not being realistic to get a picture a little better than what the Q-See camera was providing me at night? There is some ambient lighting from the street.

Thanks Guys, You're help is appreciated!

146184_1.jpg

That's the camera you have, right?

First thing is the Honeywell is a 1/3" sensor, Q-See was probably 1/4". Bigger is better!

If possible, focus the camera from a direct-connected monitor, not from the DVR. You can always get a better idea of where the sweet-spot it.

The Honeywell is a definite improvement. Night-time quality is better, as well as day-time to some degree. Yea, the Q-See looks brighter at night, but look at all that grainy-ness! Maybe play with the BLC (Back Light Compensation), may be able to get a more uniformly lit daytime picture.

I wouldn't expect too much from the IR inside any dome camera. Could you maybe put up a floodlight maybe PIR motion-detect? Flying bugs will usually cuddle up to the IR on dome cameras, with spiders and their webs soon to follow.

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, that's the camera. I don't recall being able to focus it since it's a 4mm lens. I'll have to take a looksy again.

All those pictures were from the DVR, the live video feed doesn't look so bad grainy-ness wise for the Q-see camera. At this point i'd probably be happier with that than with what I have now. I'll have to play with the BLC. The only reason why I turned the AGC on is because I thought that I read that the D/N setting was dependent on whether or not the AGC was on. So that's why I switched it to ON thinking that the camera would go from color to B&W at night time.

Q-SEE Camera

Product Specifications

Category Description

Image Sensor 1/4 in Sony Super HAD Color CCD

Lens 3.6mm

Horizontal Resolution 420TVL

Effective Pixels 510x492 NTSC

Field of View 53°

Connectors BNC (F), 12VDC 2.1mm (F)

Minimum Illuminance 0 Lux

Infrared LEDs/Distance 12/30ft

IR LED Wavelength 850nm

Video Output 1 Vp-p75 ohm

Electronic Shutter Speed 1/50 (1/60)-1/100,000 sec

Synchronization na

Audio Output None

S/N Ratio >48dB

Gamma Characteristic 0.45

Power Supply 12V DC

Power Consumption 120mA (300mA Max with LEDs on)

Operating Temperature -4°F to 122°F (-20°C to 50°C)

Dimensions 2.5(W) x 3.5 (D) x 2.5 (H) in

Honeywell HD70 Dome Camera

Operational

Video Standard NTSC

Scanning System 2:1 Interlace

Image Sensor 1/3" Sony HAD CCD sensor

Number of Pixels

(H x V) 811 x 508 (NTSC)

Minimum Illumination 0.0 lux, operates in complete darkness

Horizontal Resolution 550 TVL

Video Output 1.0 Vp-p, composite @ 75 Ohms

Sync System Internal

S/N Ratio 48 dB or more (AGC Off)

Auto Gain Control On/Off

Automatic Electronic

Shutter

1/60–1/100,000 second (NTSC)

1/50–1/100,000 second (PAL)

White Balance Auto

IR LEDs 850 nm, 24 LEDs

IR Illumination Distance

(dependent on scene

reflectance)

~50 ft. (15m)

BLC On/Off

Gamma 0.45

Lens Type Built-in fixed (f=4.0 mm)

Angle of View H: 68º

V: 50º

Electrical

Input Voltage 12 VDC

Input Range 10-14 VDC

Power Consumption 5 W (max) with IR LEDs on

Housing: Die Cast Aluminum

Dome: Polycarbonate

That Honeywell is just a Color IR Dome, dont expect too much from it. Was the Q-See a bullet camera? If so that could explain the extra Infrared - Say it with me, "Bullets are better" at least when it comes to built in Infrared (in general) AGC will make it brighter, but its not a real Day Night camera anyway. In the world of Color IR cameras, specs mean very little, but the actual difference between one and the next can be like night and day - it is just a gamble. That Q-See was definately a 1/4" though. Neither have an IR Cut filter. That 15m IR Distance would be 45' indoors, or in a closed in outdoor area. You could try adjusting the iris level if it has one on the board.

That Honeywell is just a Color IR Dome, dont expect too much from it. Was the Q-See a bullet camera? If so that could explain the extra Infrared - Say it with me, "Bullets are better" at least when it comes to built in Infrared (in general) AGC will make it brighter, but its not a real Day Night camera anyway. In the world of Color IR cameras, specs mean very little, but the actual difference between one and the next can be like night and day - it is just a gamble. That Q-See was definately a 1/4" though. Neither have an IR Cut filter. That 15m IR Distance would be 45' indoors, or in a closed in outdoor area. You could try adjusting the iris level if it has one on the board.

Thank you, Sir!

I guess this is what was throwing me off..."The HD70 is a day/night camera that switches from color to black and white mode depending upon available light."

Yeah, the Q-See camera was a bullet camera with only 12 ir leds. This HD70 has 24 ir leds, so I was hoping it would do just a little better.

I'll look for an iris the next time I'm up there. It probably won't be for a few days though.

Probably wont say Iris and if anything would be the electronic iris level, just look for a small level that can be adjusted with a little Phillips screw driver . watch though as one of them might be for the power. Yes the camera will still switch to BW, basically kill the Chroma, its called Digital Day Night, and with no IR cut filter mechanism. Basically its rare to find a CCTV camera with a mechanical IR Cut filter and a fixed lens. Although I have seen at least one with the mechanism placed right above the chip even though it still used a Varifocal AI Lens, but most will have it built into the lens and part of the Auto Iris mechanism which makes it interchangeable between cameras.

Calling it a Day Night camera is a good marketing tool for sales, although it really IS a Day Night camera as it works in day and night, we typically call it a Color IR Camera (or Digital Day Night without IR) whether it switches to BW or not (some do not), and we call the one with the removable IR cut filter a True Day Night Camera, also can have "ICR" in its specs (Infrared Cut Removable). A True Day Night camera is normally a much better camera, more features in addition to the IR Cut Filter mechanism (coupled with the AI), and also typically longer range Infrared. Having the Infrared Cut filter go over the chip in the day time produces more realistic colors and an overall better image as it blocks out the IR from the Sun. Check my signature for examples.

Probably wont say Iris and if anything would be the electronic iris level, just look for a small level that can be adjusted with a little Phillips screw driver . watch though as one of them might be for the power. Yes the camera will still switch to BW, basically kill the Chroma, its called Digital Day Night, and with no IR cut filter mechanism. Basically its rare to find a CCTV camera with a mechanical IR Cut filter and a fixed lens. Although I have seen at least one with the mechanism placed right above the chip even though it still used a Varifocal AI Lens, but most will have it built into the lens and part of the Auto Iris mechanism which makes it interchangeable between cameras.

Calling it a Day Night camera is a good marketing tool for sales, although it really IS a Day Night camera as it works in day and night, we typically call it a Color IR Camera (or Digital Day Night without IR) whether it switches to BW or not (some do not), and we call the one with the removable IR cut filter a True Day Night Camera, also can have "ICR" in its specs (Infrared Cut Removable). A True Day Night camera is normally a much better camera, more features in addition to the IR Cut Filter mechanism (coupled with the AI), and also typically longer range Infrared. Having the Infrared Cut filter go over the chip in the day time produces more realistic colors and an overall better image as it blocks out the IR from the Sun. Check my signature for examples.

Wow, thanks for all that great info, I appreciate it!

Any cameras pop into mind bullet wise from CNB that has what I need and won't break the bank? I'll take a look at their website also.

Thanks again!