G22

CPU Temps

My BIOS says the CPU temp is around 56c. ASUS Probe says around 45c while idling, and SiS Sandra says around 45c as well.

Which one is correct? Or does being in the BIOS normally raise the temp?

CPU is a P4 3.4GHz 650 Prescott w/2MB Cache.

Yes, I have it overclocked to 4.0GHz, but after I did that, the temps never went up. At least so far. The CPU has not been 'used' yet though as it will be when it be doing its DVR thing.

Also, I used OCZ Ultra 5+ Thermal Silver Compound which is supposed to be the same as Arctic Silver 5 apparently.

beeing an old school overcloker I know a little bit about heat:

1) all temperatures you see should be the same: they came from CPU thermal sensor

2) sitting in bios = idle. just bootup process generates some hear.

3) if you are planning to yous yoru PC for DVR - it woun't be idle

some advide:

add couple case fans.

if you overcloking add REAL cpu cooler (the boxed one from intel is very good for regular use, but not that impressive for overcloking)

get prime95 from the net and check if your system really is working correctly and how got it gets on "full load"

P.S. for 24/7 application overclocing usualy not worth it check your real gains (say comparing times of divx of at least mp3 encoding

Thanks for the tips.

I currently have a Zalman CNPS7700-Cu cooler for the CPU. It is that big ass heavy copper one. The RPM's seems a lil low though to me at 1650. I wouldn't touch the stock cooler though.

I also have 2 x 120MM case fans for the front and rear... and a dual Vantec (with pretty blue LED's) aiming at the PCI-E video card

My next step is moving the PC down into the basement, as it is just too hot upstairs where it is currently. I might even get a better case with more venting/cooling options.

I have Prime95... is it the Torture Test that I run? Thx.

Yes, Torture works best for heating up the CPU or you can do the "regular" calculations if your PC is connected to the net.

Just watch your CPU temperature rising... (it can get up to two times the idle temp

and if you get yellow icon flashing - you pushed your CPU a little bit to high

About cooling: your CU Zelman is on the better side in cooler herarchy. just disable all temperature probes and run it at full speed (12V) If your computer will be sitting in the basements I don't think noise will be an issue

P.S. there is one more sensitive part of your PC you should be look after: your HDD: if you have an array and no active cooling you may damage your HDD (I saw too many overheated HDD in last couple years...)

P.P.S there 3 major sources of the Heat in PC: GPU, CPU and HDD (my kodicom can get pritty hot also but it still less than these three)

my server runs 25/31 to 27/34. i used to build my servers in the typical tower but tried the "cube" type. temps went down and it is quite compared to the tower with extra fans. i'm not over clocking.

One may be reading the sensor built into the die while another may be reading the sensor under(or near) the socket.

One may be reading the sensor built into the die while another may be reading the sensor under(or near) the socket.

on P4 motherboard there no sensors in the socket. Socket sensors became absolete when they were i ncorporated in the die.