dmiller9

Monitoring DVR vitals over a network.

One of my customers has aprox 60 DVR through the city. Most of the DVR's are Panasonic and American Dynamics. He has ran into issues where the dvr has crash or no longer running for some reason and the only time anyone notices is when they go to pull video from an incident.

Is there any 3rd party software that can ping or poll the DVR's to make sure they are up and responding and if they aren't send an alarm or via email or dry contact?

Thanks in advance.

One of my customers has aprox 60 DVR through the city. Most of the DVR's are Panasonic and American Dynamics. He has ran into issues where the dvr has crash or no longer running for some reason and the only time anyone notices is when they go to pull video from an incident.

Is there any 3rd party software that can ping or poll the DVR's to make sure they are up and responding and if they aren't send an alarm or via email or dry contact?

Thanks in advance.

Where are u located ?

are they PC based or standalone ?

funny u talk about this now

as we speak getting ready to offer my customer such service

Our Vigil machines have built-in health monitoring. One of our clients makes extensive use of their VCM (Vigil Central Management) application to monitor his 14 machines - the server sends him an email if a DVR goes offline (within minutes of it happening), if a camera goes offline, if a disk goes offline, if the DVR isn't holding at least the specified days of footage... and many other health aspects of each system.

As far as something to work with varying different systems that don't have their own health-monitoring functions... it probably wouldn't be hard to write a script or batch file that would either ping the system, or attempt to connect with it and then report back if it can't. EXACTLY how to do it would depend on just what services the systems support... like if they're all web-accessible, you could have something attempt to connect on the web port and then throw an error code if it can't... of course, that wouldn't tell you whether it was the system or just the connection that was down, but it would at least let you know something was wrong. You could add some simple logic that would maybe ping the connection to see whether it's up, and make an assumption as to the state of the DVR by process of elimination...

I am located in Edmonton, Alberta.

The panasonic DVR's are embedded Linux OS and the American Dynamics are XP units. It would be nice if they are were all the same manufacture with its own central monitoring software.

I am located in Edmonton, Alberta.

The panasonic DVR's are embedded Linux OS and the American Dynamics are XP units. It would be nice if they are were all the same manufacture with its own central monitoring software.

Hmm that really funny small world

I am in Edmonton too