mikeysoft

Geovision run as a service on Win Server 2003

I've read various posts in forums suggesting this is not possible, but no definitive answer, and all were on older versions of software. Does anyone know if it is possible with newer versions (8.3/8.4)?

I don't want to run it via autologin on my server, just as a service.

Thanks

If you've read other posts on the subject, you'd already know that running ANY DVR package on anything but a DEDICATED PC is strongly discouraged...

That wasn't my question, very unhelpful. So presumptuous in that you assume it will not be a dedicated PC just because it's running Win Server instead of Win client. Aggressive and patronising tone. It's people like you that spoil forums.

I asked if Geovision can run as a service on Windows Server 2003. If anyone can answer that I'd be very appreciative.

Many Thanks

Mike

Server 2003 is XP at its core... no reason it shouldn't run on it.

The extra overhead of the server services may be problematic though; it would really be preferable to give the machine a clean install of XP.

What I'd read in previous posts posted in 2007-2009 was that it was not possible to get Geovision running as a *service* on Win Server 2003. But I can't understand why that would be as a) it runs fine on Win Serv 2003 when started manually, b) it runs as a service under Windows XP (as you point out, same underlying OS core as Win 2003).

Edited by Guest

The extra overhead of the server services may be problematic though; it would really be preferable to give the machine a clean install of XP.

Please stop suggesting that XP should be used and that I shouldn't be using Win Server 2003 - that is not what this thread is about.

If you don't know the answer to the question that I posed at the start of the thread - about getting it to run as a service under Win Server 2003 - please do not reply, you are diverting this thread.

Geovision support Win Server 2008, which blows your (illogical) argument out of the water about "extra overhead of the server services". I am not going to be using the server as a Domain server, just a Geovision box!

Please stop suggesting that XP should be used and that I shouldn't be using Win Server 2003 - that is not what this thread is about.

If you don't know the answer to the question that I posed at the start of the thread - about getting it to run as a service under Win Server 2003 - please do not reply, you are diverting this thread.

What he is most importantly saying is that basically 2003 "IS" XP.

So if it works on XP then it will work on Server 2003

Server 2003 just has some extra services.

I already posted how to enable Geovison as a service in another thread, BUT I cant say whether it will work or not. I get timeout errors but I dont have the card installed to do a real test. I guess due to lack of actual proof that it runs as a service from Geovision or anyone else, right now it is just a fairy tale that it will work - The GeoVision software is not created as a service so I dont see how it really would ever work, at least without errors.

What he is most importantly saying is that basically 2003 "IS" XP.

So if it works on XP then it will work on Server 2003

Server 2003 just has some extra services.

I already posted how to enable Geovison as a service in another thread, BUT I cant say whether it will work or not. I get timeout errors but I dont have the card installed to do a real test. I guess due to lack of actual proof that it runs as a service from Geovision or anyone else, right now it is just a fairy tale that it will work - The GeoVision software is not created as a service so I dont see how it really would ever work, at least without errors.

Can you point me at your thread that tells you how to do this please?

Server 2003 also has (different) fewer services compared to XP too....

I'll give it a go when my card arrives and report back.

Agreed the services can differ but essentially it is the same OS, as Server 2003 is built from XP but with server features. Almost identical registry etc. If it runs on XP it should run on Server 2003. At least that is in theory as I have not personally used it, but i wrote software for clients that use it.

For trying Geo as a service check this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24270&p=146207#p146207

I already gave you a suggestion at a workaround in case your service concept doesn't pan out. If you keep being such a miserable sot, nobody will want to help you.