Numb-nuts

board camera screen rippling horizontal bars

I have installed an Eneo board camera into a vandal-resistant housing less than 21ft (of cat5) away

from my DVR. I have diagonal bars rippling across the screen although the clarity is quite good otherwise.

The power is supplied through a regulated 12v 9 x output box which in turn is supplied by a dedicated

spur from my electricity distribution box. Another camera supplied on the same PS shows no ripple so I doubt

this is a ground loop problem especially as the PSU is brand new.

There is a good chance the PSU is not the problem and I don't think there is a ground loop problem.

I am going to remove and re-connect all my connections tomorrow in desperation.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. WHY ME?

5439462529_fd304063f1-1.jpg

It can still be a ground loop, if a conductive part of the camera body is attached to something metallic and grounded.

Beyond that, the picture almost looks like it has a "ghost" image, like it's getting bleed-over from another camera or video source.

It can still be a ground loop, if a conductive part of the camera body is attached to something metallic and grounded.

Beyond that, the picture almost looks like it has a "ghost" image, like it's getting bleed-over from another camera or video source.

There's no grounded part to the camera end I checked again just to be sure. It is mounted to a brick wall with plastic wall plugs and woodscrews.

If it is as you suggest, bleed from another channel, would that be a fault with the DVR or the passive baluns or even running cables together?.

I just realized you could be referring to the left side of the frame, that it a bulkhead light which I have yet to move as it is supporting a doorview cam which is useless in low light. I have decided to replace it with a mono camera with low light capability then I won't need the bulkhead light on.

Lesson I learned was that cameras that are covering the same area from different angles need to have similar light sensitivity!

An expensive lesson.

I do run the cables together when they enter the property all the way to the DVR, surely that can't cause interference?

Tomorrow I'll run the camera in solitude to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for that Soundy, I'll let you know what happens.

If its not too much trouble - check to see if the cables run near/along side electrical/phone/catv wiring. All of these could cause that too. I have a camera that used to run along side a phone line, when the phone rang, the picture would get running lines like that!

Did you try another camera there yet?
If its not too much trouble - check to see if the cables run near/along side electrical/phone/catv wiring. All of these could cause that too. I have a camera that used to run along side a phone line, when the phone rang, the picture would get running lines like that!

Not just yet, got diverted, a problem with my network. Sorted now.

It's nearly 4 AM here so I am going to get some sleep now and I will

try one or two things when I get up again probably around noon.

3 things I will try

Yes, the power to the PSU runs in some conduit for about 3 ft with the cat5 cables so I'll run it away from them and see if it makes a difference.

Re-wire the connections at both ends and replace the passive baluns.

Run the camera in isolation i.e. remove the other camera and run this one only (to see if there is any issue with channel bleed

I will post the results as it may help someone else in the future

Re-wire the connections at both ends and replace the passive baluns.

This could be something to look at also.

Sorry guys, I have only just got out of bed and I'm not doing anything today I haven't the energy,

Fact is that as soon as the cat5 cables enter the house they pick up a dedicated electricity cable

which runs with them to the DVR and PSU. To remove the power cable will involve a lot of re routing.

I also find that I haven't got a spre pair of passive baluns so have to order them too.

I will get onto it through the week and report back what effect these suggestions have had on my camera output.

FAULTY POWER SUPPLY CHAPS

I was so careful and meticulous in my wiring because of the upheaval I had to go through to re run wire or re-do connections.

I knew that it had to be something new. The only new element I introduced was a new dedicated electrical spur and a dedicated PSU.

Having removed the mains cable from conduit running all the cables, I removed one camera from the PSU wiring it to another PSU

and bingo the picture has stopped rippling for that camera.. I then powered down and introduced the other camera to the same PSU

and neither camera picture ripples.

Today's Lesson

NEVERassume if sonething is new, that it is not faulty.

Here endeth the lesson.

Thanks for all your suggestions chaps it at least gave me a direction. I have telephoned the PSU supplier and they immediately accepted the PSU must be faulty and offered to replace it.

From Birdman Adam.

“If its not too much trouble - check to see if the cables run near/along side electrical/phone/catv wiring. All of these could cause that too. I have a camera that used to run along side a phone line, when the phone rang, the picture would get running lines like that! “

Was your camera wire RG59 or Cat5.

On the camera in question, cat5 cable was used, (interior grade) with a pair of passive baluns as the run was only 7 meters.

The camera in question is an Eneo board camera 600 TVL and the picture couldn't be better now. Razor sharp in fact.