Someone10101

NVR Requirements & IP Camera Recording

I planning on building my own NVR system that I can tuck away up in the attic somewhere and have a few questions.

The motherboard I plan on buying is this:

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/db-D525MW/D525MW-overview.htm

It's an Intel mini-ITX motherboard using an Atom D525 processor.

Q1. When recording off of IP cameras, is there a high CPU usage, GPU usage, etc...?

Q2. Do I need 3rd party software to record video(not sitll frame) from the IP camera to the NVR or does it record from the IP camera directly into a video file and treats the NVR as a file server only?

Q3. Will this motherboard and Atom D525 be able to handle 4 IP cameras?

My plan was to install a 128GB SSD HDD and a 3.5" 3TB 5400RPM hard disk drive inside the system.

I'm hoping I can get away w/ using a D525 processor. If there is a high taxation on the CPU and/or GPU, then I'll probably get a mini-ITX that has a socket 1156 and throw in a Intel i5 CPU or is that still not enough?

I did look at some of the NAS or NVR systems that are offered by QNAP and they are also running an Atom D525 processor. So, I'm guessing I should be ok.

Here's a link to one of QNAP NVR system showing it's using a dual core Atom processor.

http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_hardware.asp?p_id=158

Thanks!

Q1. When recording off of IP cameras, is there a high CPU usage, GPU usage, etc...?

Depends on the NVR, but in general, no: the NVR just receives the stream from the camera and writes it to disk. Decoding the stream on playback is the CPU-intensive part, but that's usually handled by the client/VMS.

Q2. Do I need 3rd party software to record video(not sitll frame) from the IP camera to the NVR or does it record from the IP camera directly into a video file and treats the NVR as a file server only?

If you're building your own machine, you'll need SOME kind of software to at least receive, store, and manage the video. Many cameras can send direct to an FTP site, but include no management capability (ie. the ability to clean up old footage when the space fills up, etc.), and even then, you'd need an ftp server running. Many camera manufacturers do include some basic NVR software that will work with their cameras only.

Rory claims to regularly build Exacq NVRs on Atom systems...

My plan was to install a 128GB SSD HDD and a 3.5" 3TB 5400RPM hard disk drive inside the system.

For just the system, software and maybe search database, you shouldn't need more than maybe a 16GB drive... you can save some money there by using a smaller SSD.

Thank You! for your comments. Been very helpful. I was actually trying to see if I can boot off a 32GB SDHC card and free up the other SATA port for a RAID 1 setup.

And yes, my mini-ITX will be running FileZilla FTP server. Since FTP access is all done internally on the LAN only, I'm not too concern about transmitting my username/password in cleartext.

Guess I'll start ordering parts by this weekend to build my NVR/File Server. I'll take screenshots and document my work in case anyone else is interested in it.

Rory claims to regularly build Exacq NVRs on Atom systems...

That was me with the Exacq on Atom systems. Yes it will work for headless setups.

That was me with the Exacq on Atom systems. Yes it will work for headless setups.

Could you clarify what you mean by headless setups? Do you mean NVR systems that do not require an add-in card such as a GeoVision DVR cards?

And lastly, if you don't mind, could you share the specs on your ATOM system?

Ex. PSU wattage, brand, case, memory, etc...

I'm debating on a very small box or a bigger box that can support up to 4 HDD total.

Small Box:

http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal-mini-itx-enclosure

using picoPSU power supply at 60W

Pro: Very small; easier to hide

Con: Room for two 2.5" HDD only.

or something bigger like a Silverstone or Lian case that can handle a regular size ATX case.

Pro: Easier to find replacement PSU; Room for 3.5" HDD that can hold 2TB+.

Cons: Bigger case and much harder to hide.

I'm still reading up the specs of the components to make sure 60W is sufficient when running both hard drive at full speed, CPU at 100%. I'm just afraid it may draw too much power and cause the powerbrick to heat up and become a fire hazard.

Thanks!

"Headless" meaning it generally runs without monitor/keyboard/mouse (not that it CAN'T) and that management and playback is done remotely rather than locally.

Storing video streams is low-CPU. Playing them back is what takes a lot of processor power. If you're not doing that on the same machine, you don't need a monitor, and you don't need a lot of CPU.

Could you clarify what you mean by headless setups?

No live video display like with a DVR, just recording the video stream, basically a server only. The client is what views the video, normally on a separate computer.

And yes its wireguys that builds them not me

Could you clarify what you mean by headless setups? Do you mean NVR systems that do not require an add-in card such as a GeoVision DVR cards?

And lastly, if you don't mind, could you share the specs on your ATOM system?

Ex. PSU wattage, brand, case, memory, etc...

I'm debating on a very small box or a bigger box that can support up to 4 HDD total.

Small Box:

http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal-mini-itx-enclosure

using picoPSU power supply at 60W

Pro: Very small; easier to hide

Con: Room for two 2.5" HDD only.

or something bigger like a Silverstone or Lian case that can handle a regular size ATX case.

Pro: Easier to find replacement PSU; Room for 3.5" HDD that can hold 2TB+.

Cons: Bigger case and much harder to hide.

I'm still reading up the specs of the components to make sure 60W is sufficient when running both hard drive at full speed, CPU at 100%. I'm just afraid it may draw too much power and cause the powerbrick to heat up and become a fire hazard.

Thanks!

Headless as in no Monitor, Keyboard or Mouse.

As for my Atom solutions that a product that I have spent alot of time and money developing and testing. This is a solution I sell to customers and something I am not going to give out for free. If you would like to purchase the Exacq licences from me I would be more then happy point you in the right direction for your Atom system.

As for my Atom solutions that a product that I have spent alot of time and money developing and testing. This is a solution I sell to customers and something I am not going to give out for free. If you would like to purchase the Exacq licences from me I would be more then happy point you in the right direction for your Atom system.

" title="Applause" />

No problem and I agree 100%. It takes time to research and find what works and what doesn't work. I've spent most of my day researching and making sure every component I buy for my NVR computer is compatible and reliable.