Securame

Hard drive: which one to choose for DVR?

Hello,

I have always installed consumer grade HDs on DVRs, and so far I have only had one HD fail, but I have read many times around here and understand the need to use better quality HDs, since they will be working 24/7 and should store sensitive data. Now, while I had seen server HDs before, I never bothered checking which kind of HD they were, but I have gotten my first DVR that came with HD installed from manufacturer (Hikvision); it came with a Seagate *SV hard drive.

While I usually won't find this HDs on normal computer shops, now I usually buy from a "storage" shop (they just sell HDs, memory cards, pendrives, etc) and here they do have a wide range of HDs. On Seagate I see they have *AS, *SV and *NS hard drives. Price difference from *AS to *SV is very little, so I guess will be purchasing *SV hard drives from now on. Anyone knows what the *NS will stand for? There is quite a big price gap between *SV and *NS.

They also have WD hard drives, but I do not know how to tell which ones to pick; I have read about "green" series and "black" series, but I would not know how to tell which one is each, since part numbers are like WD5000AAKX.

Any suggestions on how you pick your HDs?

Thanks!

they make 750 gb too. I am not sure if they make anything lower than 500 gb and I am not sure if they make anything greater than 1 TB. Most of the DVR's that I have seen will not take over a 1 TB Hard-Drive per bay. If the DVR's do take more than 1 TB, then they usually just add another bay for another hard drive to be added so therefore you would just add another hard drive..

I only use WD drives and 7200rpm, stay clear from Greens, Blues are okay and all we get down here, have tons of them in the field, Black is better and what we normally suggest for DVRs, the WD AV drives suck (they claim made for video) and are actually another green, better off with the Blues over the AV one. Anyway, I stick to WD as they work for me, and they are all they really sell down here anyway, Im not picky though

More importantly though is use a Voltage Regulator, if not doesnt matter if you have the best HDD in the world, it will eventually fail. Even of you have good electric like North America does, when it fails then you might ask yourself, wonder if ... brownouts and spikes can happen anywhere. Plugging a DVR into a high voltage socket without some kind of Voltage Regulator, to me thats like drinking poison.

MTBF(Mean time between failures) might be very important when choosing HDD.

I prefer Seagate, but WD is cheap, Samsung is good, Hitachi is fast.

it's up to you.