Korgoth Of Barbaria

Question about manufacturers logo

Hey guys

I just don't know where to ask about this, my friend and I just got this idea of making a site where we could drop all of our tests, snapshots, video samples from IP Cams.

We just made lots of them in our lab, and we want to share them with whole instalator community

We use ISO tables and some usefull software, so our tests are not subjective. We don't want to sell those cams, just show how they look like, and how they work.

We want to use manufacturers logos, but can we do it? Or there is some strange policy about it?

As long as you are providing information and not selling products, you should have no problem using manufacturer logos. You would be covered as media.

Why give it out for free?

Generate foot traffic to their website and start selling advertisment spaces. I would love to see some real live photos for comparisons instead of reading reviews.

Kind of like a digital camera forum, but more so focusing only on image quality for security cameras.

selling advertising around camera tests is unlikely to come anywhere close to covering costs

e.g., this is why most trade magazines depend on republishing articles from manufacturers as it is too expensive to create original reporting

also, once you sell advertising, the manufacturers will push hard to influence your tests and you'll need to be careful not to offend your advertisers in your test results

selling advertising around camera tests is unlikely to come anywhere close to covering costs

e.g., this is why most trade magazines depend on republishing articles from manufacturers as it is too expensive to create original reporting

also, once you sell advertising, the manufacturers will push hard to influence your tests and you'll need to be careful not to offend your advertisers in your test results

And thats why it would be free, no infuence from manufacturers

We just get ACTi ACM-1231 and Vivotek IP8332 for free from one company, only to make some tests, we will see how it will look like

The costs of what, the cameras? Only a problem if you plan to keep them on a shelf forever - not a worry if you're going to sell and install them after testing.

The benefit to doing this sort of project is that it then gives you a better idea of each camera's *real* capabilities, particularly with the opportunity to test them in conditions similar to what YOUR customers need, which then allows you to make better recommendations - little or no concern about having to go back and replace a camera that didn't perform as expected. (And yes, I speak from experience).

The cost of doing the test (i.e., the labor) is generally the most significant. I am assuming that the tester is an experienced integrator who expects to be paid a fair market price and is not simply doing this as a hobby.

In such a case, even a short test is going to be minimally $500.

The big issue is that even if you give this test away for free you might get 500 page views (more for well known cameras, more if you have a big following). Max reads is going to be in the thousands.

The problem is who pays for this? For general Internet advertising the ad rates for 1,000 views runs in the tens of dollars (and that's for a good niche site). The only way I can see covering costs directly from ads is to get the manufacturers you test to sponsor your tests. I think many will gladly do it so they can influence the test results.

The cost of doing the test (i.e., the labor) is generally the most significant. I am assuming that the tester is an experienced integrator who expects to be paid a fair market price and is not simply doing this as a hobby.

In such a case, even a short test is going to be minimally $500.

And what is the cost of having to return to site to replace a camera that isn't performing as hoped/expected? Not just in labor, but in the reduced resale value of the removed camera, as well as the potential reduced trust from the client (ie. "This guy doesn't know what he's doing")?

Even if the customer specs his own cameras... if I KNOW (from my own testing) that a camera won't be sufficient for a given situation, and I can inform the client of this in advance (and hopefully change his mind BEFORE the initial install), then I look like the hero. With most customers, that's golden.

The big issue is that even if you give this test away for free you might get 500 page views (more for well known cameras, more if you have a big following). Max reads is going to be in the thousands.

The problem is who pays for this? For general Internet advertising the ad rates for 1,000 views runs in the tens of dollars (and that's for a good niche site). The only way I can see covering costs directly from ads is to get the manufacturers you test to sponsor your tests. I think many will gladly do it so they can influence the test results.

Or... you do the tests for your own benefit, and share the results with your community, for the benefit of your community... like many of us do here on a daily basis.

Nevermind just selling ad clicks; if you run your own company, you're also driving potential clients to your site. Again, if you've already done the tests for your own use anyway, then any extra business you gain from bringing people to your site is just gravy.

Matt, The OP asked about starting a site, doing ISO testing with software analysis and selling advertising around it. I am just providing my knowledge of that market approach.

There's obviously significant value about knowing how well a camera works before using it on a job site.

Publishing camera tests for lead generation is a very expensive way to get leads.

If anyone wants to post public results of ISO testing, software analysis and 'objective' tests, that's great. I'll happy link to them.

My gut feel is that anyone who takes this approach will quickly realize that it's a lot of work and not enough matching return to justify continued effort.

You can always sell advertisement spaces to other companies such as the retailer/business who sells the cameras and not the manufacturer of the camera.

Ex. Mobotix ABC stinks and cost hundred dollars more then Axis XYZ. Recommendation; Buy Axis XYZ.

Business Advertisments: We sell Axis XYZ for only $99.95, but WAIT! Buy within the next 1hr and we'll throw in free overnight shipping!

You get the idea.

Sure, you can sell adds to resellers. Or you can do like NetworkWebCams does with its tests, offer the products for sale yourself.

The problem is that advertisers (whether it is the manufacturer or re-sellers) do not want to pay for ads around content that is negative. For example, you do a test of Cam ABC and conclude that the image quality is poor and the software is buggy. Why would a re-seller pay for an ad around that test? Why would an end user click on the ad to buy that product?

Matt, The OP asked about starting a site, doing ISO testing with software analysis and selling advertising around it.

Not exactly: they already stated, they've ALREADY done the testing:

my friend and I just got this idea of making a site where we could drop all of our tests, snapshots, video samples from IP Cams.

We just made lots of them in our lab, and we want to share them with whole instalator community

We use ISO tables and some usefull software, so our tests are not subjective. We don't want to sell those cams, just show how they look like, and how they work.

Publishing camera tests for lead generation is a very expensive way to get leads.

Not if you've already done the testing, or are doing it anyway for your own education, which is what the OP has done. Much like the participants in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11322&start=0

Not if you've already done the testing, or are doing it anyway for your own education, which is what the OP has done. Much like the participants in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11322&start=0

Yea and stupid us for giving that information away for free so the owner of this site makes money on it.

Matt,

There is a big difference in time and cost between grabbing a few screenshots and doing a full test.

Secondly, my point is that publishing tests on an ongoing basis is difficult to justify financially with ads.

Let them start a site and see what happens.

John, nothing in the OP's posts indicates they're TRYING to make money off the tests or the sites. It was others who suggested it could be done to drive advertising/click-throughs/traffic/etc.

He's already stated, they've already done the testing and obtained their results. Whether they share the results or not, the time and money is already spent. If they want to share the results for free, they're not losing a cent.

IF they can make a few bucks off of it with click-throughs or referrals or ad space, then good on them, but it doesn't sound like they're particularly concerned about that.

Matt, It takes time to publish the results in a presentable fashion, especially if they are doing more detailed tests and aim to present it in an objective manner. Also, they will need to decide if they want to spend time answering questions and providing feedback on their test results. All of this takes time, often a significant amount.

Granted.... but that all falls far outside of the original question, and doesn't sound like something they're particularly concerned about.

We just get ACTi ACM-1231 and Vivotek IP8332 for free from one company, only to make some tests, we will see how it will look like

What is your opinion on these two side by side. I have an IP8332 at the office but not an ACM/TCM 1231. Anyone done a side by side shootout of these two cameras and maybe have pictures? My guess is going to be that the IP8332 is a lot more vibrant during the day but I'm not sure of the night performance mainly.

Thanks