Numb-nuts

Running cables underground to a mast for CCTV and IR lights

I am not in a position to need to know this but I am interested to know how cables can be run underground

to a remote post or tower.

How would I go about planning such an installation.

What materials and cables should be used

What typical precautions are needed.

This is something I have never dared to attempt because of the potential difficulties and efforts required.

Depending on the distance you can either trench and install the correct size PVC Conduit or use Directional Bore, a local utilities contractor should be able to give you a quote on doing this. A locate is recommended to identify other water pipes, electrical, telecom etc.

^That's exactly how we've done it - trench, conduit, bury, pull wire. In the one case, it was a 50' mast with a concrete base, so the conduit stubbed up through the base, where we mounted a PVC box.

Soundy, sorry to knit pick but it should be trench, pipe, pull wire then bury, wouldn't want to dig up again if there was any problems with the pull

Soundy, sorry to knit pick but it should be trench, pipe, pull wire then bury, wouldn't want to dig up again if there was any problems with the pull

You just have to have confidence in your work. Put a pull line in there and you can come back at a later date and pull your cables. Would rather find a broken conduit with a pull string in there instead of damaged cabling or fiber. No sweating it either way.

I dont want to second guess you but is there power already at the post??

If so you can purchase some neat wireless transceivers these days... just a thought...

You just have to have confidence in your work. Put a pull line in there and you can come back at a later date and pull your cables. Would rather find a broken conduit with a pull string in there instead of damaged cabling or fiber. No sweating it either way.

Good point here... in our case, the trench/pipe/bury part was already done when we got there for the cabling

If so you can purchase some neat wireless transceivers these days... just a thought...

I think you will find most posts, especially ones for lighting have their power controlled by a contactor. This means you'll only get power when the lights are commanded on. I do realise that there are also street lighting and other applications where the lights are controlled by photocells. There's no assuming you will always have power 100% percent of the time on all poles.

Good point here... in our case, the trench/pipe/bury part was already done when we got there for the cabling

This is true if you are subbing this portion of the work out.

I think you will find most posts, especially ones for lighting have their power controlled by a contactor. This means you'll only get power when the lights are commanded on. I do realise that there are also street lighting and other applications where the lights are controlled by photocells. There's no assuming you will always have power 100% percent of the time on all poles.

I understand that and living in rural Ireland every other job is '2cams, on a pole, in the middle of nowhere'!!!

Override the switch and have the lights on a photocell.... if only every job was that simple!!!

I understand that and living in rural Ireland every other job is '2cams, on a pole, in the middle of nowhere'!!!

Override the switch and have the lights on a photocell.... if only every job was that simple!!!

If only everything were that simple here. The contactor(s) are zoned and controlled by a Sun-Tracker timer or other computer type interface. Plus, line voltage going out to these light poles can vary. We have 120, 208, and 277v lighting. The joys of multi-tap transformers in these ballasts.