b0051482

Council/Police CCTV Operational Range

Hi,

I am a student doing some work on CCTV used by Councils/Police in UK towns. I am taking a town and studying where best to position CCTV cameras, taking into account road layout, crime figures, land use etc. Does anyone know what the general range in metres is being used these days? Presumably the model used would be governed by the road layout / field of view, but on a long straight street of, lets say 2 kms (long street I know) how many cameras would be needed?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

rgds

Dave

Hi,

I am a student doing some work on CCTV used by Councils/Police in UK towns. I am taking a town and studying where best to position CCTV cameras, taking into account road layout, crime figures, land use etc. Does anyone know what the general range in metres is being used these days? Presumably the model used would be governed by the road layout / field of view, but on a long straight street of, lets say 2 kms (long street I know) how many cameras would be needed?

rgds

Dave

The correct approach to this issue is determined by the operational requirement as defined by the HOSDB.

Once you have an idea of the likely target, size of image required, speed, environmental conditions etc you can consider technology.

Typically if you look at integrated cameras maximum zoom of around 122mm on 1/4" CDD this will offer the usable distance. This should be considered against the best practical lens of 240mm fitted onto a box camera.

Calculators are available on-line to assist here.

Financial considerations regarding the cost of transmission should be considered.

In the UK megapixel cameras tend not to be used in this application due to interface issues.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Hi,

rgds

Dave

The correct approach to this issue is determined by the operational requirement as defined by the HOSDB.

Once you have an idea of the likely target, size of image required, speed, environmental conditions etc you can consider technology.

Typically if you look at integrated cameras maximum zoom of around 122mm on 1/4" CDD this will offer the usable distance. This should be considered against the best practical lens of 240mm fitted onto a box camera.

Financial considerations regarding the cost of transmission should be considered.

In the UK megapixel cameras tend not to be used in this application due to interface issues.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Ilkie.... Could you explain this more please?

Hi,

rgds

Dave

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Ilkie.... Could you explain this more please?

Sure, I will send you a pm re this issue.

Ilkie

Hi Ilkie

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Your answer is a little more detailed than I am looking for though. I basically need an idea of cameras already in use by councils/police to cover UK town centres. I am guessing that they use cameras with operational ranges of 500m max, so if that could be confirmed that would be enough for my study.

(I am not looking for a 100% perfect answer on this so if anyone has a rough idea it would be fine).

rgds

Dave

Hi Ilkie

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Your answer is a little more detailed than I am looking for though. I basically need an idea of cameras already in use by councils/police to cover UK town centres. I am guessing that they use cameras with operational ranges of 500m max, so if that could be confirmed that would be enough for my study.

(I am not looking for a 100% perfect answer on this so if anyone has a rough idea it would be fine).

rgds

Dave

dave i take it your not in the UK.

I am British living abroad.
I am a student doing some work on CCTV used by Councils/Police in UK towns

what gave you away was you talk in kilometers and we dont use that in the uk. and i dont think discusing range or type of cameras used for uk security should be made public.