DHSinNJ

Motion Detection Sensitivity Settings to deal with the sun

Hi I have a CPCAM CPD561ASV 4 Channel DVR with Lorex SG6184S cameras. Having problems figuring out which specific sensitivity setting works in reference to when the sun moves and leaves shadows, more light etc. The default on each is LS-7, SS-3, TS-02 and RE-10. All the cameras are in the same general area so it trips off all of them at once. I messed around with them but look's like it is affecting the sensitivity of other objects like cars, people etc. Thanks for the help!

Motion detection usually requires fairly sudden changes in a scene to trigger... the movement of the sun should not cause a motion trigger on ANY system.

Well it's not really the sun like in the sky but the reflection off of a car and other objects in the area when the sun moves. I know this because I was in the setup and all of the grids I had in detection flashed and I could see the change in light etc. I raised the SS spatial sensitivity but this affected people in the area being detected.

Motion detection generally just looks for changes in the image, not the type of changes (brightness, etc.). Short of something that gives you video analytics, there's probably not much that can be done about passing reflections - motion is motion.

It sees the shade as clouds come and go as motion also, so not much can do about that. Same with most DVRs. eg

ktcegday4.png

I see what you mean so since it is motion just like a person moving is motion there is no way of blocking one without the other. I blocked out the shiny stuff (like the car) but it still reflects off of the sidewalk and pavement.

I always have a problem with the shadow of trees on the ground. even with smallish winds the trees will sway, moving the shadow and trigger recording.

Remember - its always good to have some false-positives than to miss important action! That's why I just prefer to constantly record.

I remember spending the best part of an afternoon trying to set up and test the motion detection on an AvTech, like the one you mentioned, LS, TS, SS, RE... and guess what, the weather was sunny/cloudy!

I think I set them to 7,7,2,10... but my problem was that if somebody moved right on the edge of the cameras view it didnt trigger the motion det. ...it's coming to a happy medium with what you're willing to compromise with! Obviously your circumstances will be different to mine but try 7,7,2,10.

G'luck.

Page 22 of your user manual.

Please find:

*) LS (Level of Sensitivity)

“LS” is to set the sensitivity of comparing two different images. The smaller the value is, the higher sensitivity for

motion detection. The highest sensitivity setting is 00, and the lowest sensitivity setting is 15. The default value is 07.

*) SS (Spatial Sensitivity)

“SS” is to set the sensitivity for detecting the size of one object (the number of the grids) on the screen. The

smaller the value is, the higher sensitivity for motion detection.

The highest sensitivity setting is 00, and the lowest sensitivity setting is 15. The default setting is 03.

Note: The default setting of SS is 03, which means once an object is detected more than 3 grids, the

system will get triggered. So the value of SS must be less than the number of grids that you set

up for the motion detection area.

*) TS (Time of Sensitivity)

“TS” is to set the sensitivity regarding how long one object stays in the detection area and triggers the recording.

The smaller the value is, the higher sensitivity for motion detection.

The highest sensitivity setting is 00, and the lowest sensitivity setting is 15. The default setting is 02.

*) RE (Reference)

“RE” is to set a reference for detection. The default value is 10, which means the DVR will compare the 1st image

and the 10th image according to the sensitivity of LS, SS, TS simultaneously.

The bigger the value is, the higher sensitivity for motion detection. The highest sensitivity is 61.

*) ALARM

Select N.C. (Normally Closed) / N.O. (Normally open) / OFF for the alarm polarity. The default alarm value is OFF.

For better results, eliminate motion detection recording and record constantly. Get a bigger hard drive if needed. You can get a 1tb nowadays for under $100.

Thanks PTZ I will try those settings. The other day I set my alarm sound on and was surprised at how much it triggered but it gave me a good lesson on what was triggering it etc. I guess it really is a happy medium. Thanks for the help everyone.