I have been looking at video servers. Anyone know about them? The ones I looked at the most were AXIS.

www.axis.com

Anyway they make different models. 4ch & 1ch.

As everyone knows I have a samsung SSC14WEB With 8 cameras. I can remote view with it, but only record 10min. at a time from the remote view. I want to be able to record as much as I want from my remote viewing.

1 of the Questions I have is can I run a cable from my monitior to the input of a one chanel video server & view all 8 of my cameras remotely as I see them on my monitior at the home site?

There are other video servers alot cheaper, I dont know what to buy.

I want to be able to record as much as I want remotely & I don`t want to spend alot to do it. So any help will be good.

Thanks

Try the IP9100, from China. Small (2"x3") WEB 4 camera, audio, Video server. Does a lot for a little. Cons; you need to FTP the recorded video; made in China (support?); and a few other quirks. Pros; cheap (i paid 140 delivered, and have 4 in the closet doing nothin (no time to burn it in)

The IP9100 concept is great, but, the issue of FTP'n is dependant on the link so if your link goes down your video is not recorded. you can network a hard drive and then ftp to that, just have not tested that one out.no time.

guess i'll make them stocking stuffers, with a few cheap camera's.

File Transfer Protocol .. ?

Anyway, its like access to a folder on a remote computer, for transferring files to and from. .. ..

Axis should be okay, make sure to get enough inputs for each camera, not just 1 input and splitting it, as otherwise your remote quality will be affected, and useless for remote recording.

Also, software for the axis is not cheap, depends on the amount of cameras, but decent software like LuxRiot can cost as much as $1000 for a 16 channel licence. BUT, IP is the only thing that will do what you want in this case. Another option is maybe something like the Video Insight Hybrid PC DVRs, I think they can record local, as well as IP cameras. May want to check with them to see what they can offer.

Rory

Hello, I too am using a SSC-14WEB, and having problems. It appears that with 4 bnc video outputs, you can only record 4 cameras with a dvr...right? well how do you recoed with remote viewing? I guess you use internet explorer, but what else?...also, how can I convert the rj11 tyoe of connector into a bnc connector to run the cameras thru a seperate dvr system...any ideas?

thanks.

mjharris00

Hello from El Paso TeXas & Albuquerque, New Mexico,,,,,

I looks like the ssc-14web has 4 BNC outputs and 8 camera inputs. So you can only view 4 cameras at a time. I don't know if you can change the camera views from a trigger input.

So you will need a 4 channel video encoder like the Axis 240Q or 241Q. If you want to record the video you will need NVR software with a 4 camera license.

Do you plan to have the NVR on the LAN or at a remote location over the WAN?

I recommend Axis products because of the quality, support and they are easy to setup.

You are better off selling your system to someone where that would fit their needs, and budget just perfectly, and then you need to start all over, and buy yourself an 8 channel DVR, (or 16).

You are going to spend more money trying to pinch this together rather than saving your money, and buying a system that meets your needs perfectly.

With your Samsung ssc14web you are only going to be seeing cams 1-4, or you can choose to see cams 5-8. I think you are limiting yourself if you buy a webserver.

Perhaps you should buy 8 webservers, (or 4 two channel servers), and hook those up to your cameras via the RJ11 connector.

RJ 12 PINOUT

1 SPEAKER (+)

2 VIDEO_OUT

3 GND

4 SPEAKER (-)

5 AUDIO_OUT/ALARM_OUT

6 12V DC

Back of Camera

Clip up, contacts down

You are better off selling your system to someone where that would fit their needs, and budget just perfectly, and then you need to start all over, and buy yourself an 8 channel DVR, (or 16).

You are going to spend more money trying to pinch this together rather than saving your money, and buying a system that meets your needs perfectly.

With your Samsung ssc14web you are only going to be seeing cams 1-4, or you can choose to see cams 5-8. I think you are limiting yourself if you buy a webserver.

Perhaps you should buy 8 webservers, (or 4 two channel servers), and hook those up to your cameras via the RJ11 connector.

RJ 12 PINOUT

1 SPEAKER (+)

2 VIDEO_OUT

3 GND

4 SPEAKER (-)

5 AUDIO_OUT/ALARM_OUT

6 12V DC

Back of Camera

Clip up, contacts down

agreed