Nimrod

Where is the heater in CNB dome cameras?

As a money saving solution I may use the indoor camera DFL-20s outdoors under an eve. I want to know how the CNB dome cameras with heaters are heated and were the heater is mounted. Any other details like any fan present, the heaters resistance, or how many watts it uses, would be helpful, as well as a picture.

Well i am in midwest USA so maybe -20 F wind chill once in a while.

They are cheap cameras use them till they stop working then get new ones or do the job right and order outdoor dome cameras.

What cameras other than the VCM-24VFH and the VCB-24VFH have heaters? Can't find any more. I wouldn't put one of their indoor domes outdoors, I bet it'll gonna die pretty quick. Don't think a heater is really necessary for those temps.

Regardless if there is room or not I would still like to know how heaters are implemented in domes. I suspect even heated domes do not have fans in them. And it is not a matter of running the camera until it dies from the cold. The cold will not kill the camera. What I have found is that unheated cameras in the cold get a “snowy”/”noisy” picture.

And this is for my house, no reason to worry about a cobbled up setup.

VCM-24VFH does have a small power resistor heater and little control board for it(mounted on the back next to the main board). They work great for the money. The little heater gets hot when it's cold perfect for here around Chicago(touched it to see...OUCH!)

The inside of the cameras like the VBM-24VF and VCM-24VF get very hot as it is .. at least down here.

Well i am in midwest USA so maybe -20 F wind chill once in a while.

They are cheap cameras use them till they stop working then get new ones or do the job right and order outdoor dome cameras.

+1

VCM-24VFH does have a small power resistor heater and little control board for it(mounted on the back next to the main board). They work great for the money. The little heater gets hot when it's cold perfect for here around Chicago(touched it to see...OUCH!)

Thanks gmguys, that tells me quite a bit.

I find that the only good use for a heater is to heat off the fog that occasionally builds up on the window when it gets cold. But the cameras put off so much heat already that you really dont have to worry too much about the camera getting cold, that heat stays encapsulated in that dome so well too I bet. We have a BBM-24F in a housing without any heater or fan and it dropped below 0 several times this winter and it did not get affected at all.

But I would agree that if you want your cameras to last a while, get an outdoor camera. I'll bet that moisture will eventually start rusting up the electronics inside after a year or 2.

Well i changed my mind about saving money with a cheaper indoor camera used outdoor after i found this camera.

CNB VFL-20S 600TVL Vandal Dome 3.8mm Outdoor•Vandal-proof .05 lux

It is only $10 more than the CNB DFL-20S indoor, with the same specs.

Same exact camera as the DFL-20s, just in a vandal housing for outdoors.

Please note though, neither of those cameras will pick up IR as they have a fixed IR cut filter, primary design is for alot of light, though they still do well under low light compared to other color only cameras.

Chart for CNB dome cameras.

Now that I have made this chart, I finally understand what is going on with all the bewildering CNB part numbers.

I did not list any dome cameras with LEDS because I do not think you should use them, because of light contamination/fogging.

My take on these models is it is dumb to buy the middle model when you get 10x the sensitivity for $10 more. So basically you should go cheap, or for 2x the price go deluxe.

CNB DBM-24VF 1/3" 600TVL Indoor true day/night DC Iris 2.8-10.5mm .005 lux

CNB DBM-24VD 1/3" 600TVL Indoor fixed IR cut filter DC Iris 2.8-10.5mm .05 lux

CNB DFL-20S 1/3" 600TVL Indoor fixed IR cut filter 3.8mm Fixed .05 lux

CNB VCM-24VF 1/3" 600TVL Outdoor Vandal true day/night DC Iris 2.8-10.5mm .005 lux

CNB VCM-24VD 1/3" 600TVL Outdoor Vandal fixed IR cut filter DC Iris 2.8-10.5mm .05 lux

CNB VFL-20S 1/3" 600TVL Outdoor Vandal fixed IR cut filter 3.8mm Fixed .05 lux

Chart corrected thanks to Rory.

Edited by Guest

Minor correction, the VCM-24VF is 0.005 lux and the VCM-24VD is 0.05 lux.

Also please remove pricing as its too close to dealer cost, list price is basically double the dealer cost, thanks.

On the CNB dome camera models with fixed lenses like the DFL-20S and the VFL-20S, do these take standard CS mount lenses that you can change to anything you want?

No, they use the M12 Fixed lens.

The Varifocal Domes use the M13 Varifocal Lens.

However you can change the lenses to any other lens of the same format.

You could for example pick up a 2.5mm M12 lens from KT&C and install that on the DFL-20s, we have one with that on it now - I tried 1.8mm but it was just too blurry and the lens is huge, wider you go, more blurry it gets especially on the edges. With the IR domes though you are limited to 3.6mm and above, anything less and there can be issues with the IR ring fitting.

You could for example pick up a 2.5mm M12 lens from KT&C and install that on the DFL-20s, we have one with that on it now - I tried 1.8mm but it was just too blurry and the lens is huge, wider you go, more blurry it gets especially on the edges.

To clarify: this is a function of the specific lens design and construction, not the focal length. A good aspherical lens won't have these problems at wider angles... but they also cost more to design and build, and thus are more expensive to buy... potentially more than the camera they're being mounted to.

Yep totally correct .. the 1.8 im talking of would be the M12 fixed lens .. cheap lens at that. Not sure if they even come in aspherical or not .. now you mentioned it .. I might take a look