stod

View CCTV cameras over Internet

I have 4 CCTVs connected to an XP system. The XP system is on a network with other computers (Windows XP and Windows 7) using a Lynksys Router. I am using Avermedia software to view/record the CCTV cameras. I now want to be able ot view the CCTV cameras on the Internet and ultimately on my mobile.

However, I need some help please. Let me tell you what I have done so far.

I have set up a domain on dyndns.com (rpscctv.dyndns-remote.com with password).

I have configured the Avermedia software with a Server IP of 192.168.1.100 and remote console port of 5550. I did setup under Dynamic DNS the domain name of rpscctv.dyndns-remote.com with password but this appeared to give problems. I also enabled "enable handy view" but again have now disabled this.

On the Linksys I have setup the Internet Setup for "auto connect DHCP". I have also set up under DDNS the username and password of rpscctv.dyndns-remote.com and set the system as dynamic.

Under applications/gaming on the Linksys I have set the IP address as 192.168.1.100 with internal port 80 and external port 80.

When I issue ipconfig/all from a command prompt the reply is Ethernet NIC 192.168.31.100, subnet 255.255.255.0 and DHCP server 192.168.1.1.

The TCP/IP settings on my LAN are set to obtain IP address automatically.

I am now struggling to know whether I have set everything up correctly and how I can simply test this (by accessing the web address on my other computers).

Can anyone help me please?

Make sure you're router and your computer software both support the same dynamic dyns. It should give you options on your router page under ddns.

I think your computer should have a static IP and 192.168.1.100 is not a valid static IP because it is in the normal range of addresses that Linksys uses. This article recommends you use 192.168.1.2 thru 192.168.1.99 for static IP addresses, and explains why.

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/staticlocalip.html

Under applications/gaming on the Linksys make sure the TCP and UDP colum is set to BOTH and of coarse that the valid static IP is entered.

Also, you must set XP for a static IP as outlined in the article above.

Aplogies for delay in replying...have had some problems.

Anyway thank you everyone for your comments. I've now worked my way through this and changed a number of things.

Have set up the Avermedia software with the DDNS domain name and pwd.

In accordance with www.boutell.com -

I set up a static IP address of 192.168.1.11 subnet 255.255.255.0 and default 192.168.1.1.

and set up preferred DNS to 192.168.1.1 leaving alternative blank

On my (Norton) Internet Security I allowed access through ports 53 and 1053 (which is what I presume that you meant smic01).

So, apologies, but I'm not sure how I now test this. Should I be able to log onto www.rpscctv.dyndns-remote.com and be able to enter my password to access the computer and see the CCTV images? I would appreciate some guidance please.

Aplogies for delay in replying...have had some problems.

Anyway thank you everyone for your comments. I've now worked my way through this and changed a number of things.

Have set up the Avermedia software with the DDNS domain name and pwd.

In accordance with www.boutell.com -

I set up a static IP address of 192.168.1.11 subnet 255.255.255.0 and default 192.168.1.1.

and set up preferred DNS to 192.168.1.1 leaving alternative blank

On my (Norton) Internet Security I allowed access through ports 53 and 1053 (which is what I presume that you meant smic01).

So, apologies, but I'm not sure how I now test this. Should I be able to log onto www.rpscctv.dyndns-remote.com and be able to enter my password to access the computer and see the CCTV images? I would appreciate some guidance please.

Hi if you are not using avers ddns then ports 53/1053 are no good to you. you need to portforward 5550 that is the only port you need open.

who is your isp.

Not sure that I am fully understanding all of this.

I tried to set up my Linksys Router to port forward 5550 but it wouldn't "accept it". Just closed my Internet link and left the entries that I had made blank (this is under "Application and Gaming" and "Single Port Forwarding").

I have set up my Norton Internet Security to allow in/out traffic on port 5550.

To answer your question tomcctv I use telepac (part of Portugal Telecom) as my service provider but have registered the hostname rpscctv.dyndns-remote.com with dyndns.

I return to my original question.....how exactly do I test this? If the images are being broadcast to the Internet, do I log on to www.rpscctv.dyndns-remote.com? If so, then I am getting page not found.

Can someone please give me some guidance?