srsmith

cannot control PTZ with Avtech 674

Hi there, I am new to this forum and I am desperate for some help

I have recently bought a cctv system consisting of 4 fixed dome cameras and a 4CH Avtech 674 DVR (reptile series)

Works okay with the fixed domes, but I have just bought a mini ptz samsung smartdome camera to use as a substitute for one of the domes

Unfortunately, although I get an image from the ptz on my TV screen, I cannot get it to pan, tilt or zoom. I can't seem to access the camera's menu either

I have checked that the protocol, baud rate and ID address of the camera matches with the DVR's settings, but it just won't work and its driving me crazy

I don't know whether the problem lies with the ptz or the dvr. I have to mention also that I have had to use a 9-pin RS232 to RS485 converter, because the DVR only has a External 9-pin I/O socket on the back of it.

Because the I/O is a female 9-pin, I've also had to add a small DB9 male to male adapter to allow the converter to connect to the back of the DVR.

The ptz itself has about 40cm of 2-wire RS485 cable which are connected to the +/- connections on the RS485 adapter. I will buy a longer RS485 cable when I install the ptz permanently (if I can get it to work)

I am wondering if there maybe a loose wire in the converter or perhaps I have the wrong converter for the job.

I have bought the ptz from China and I don't want to send it back if there's nothing wrong with it.

On the other hand, its no use to me if I can't get it to work.

Can somebody please help me ?

PS. someone in an electrical store has just told me the problem is most likely to be the converter cos RS232 is quite old. He also suggested that the DVR's firmware might be an issue

The firmware version on my Avtech 674 is 1007-1002-1003-1002

sean

Just wondering if you figured this out yet, I spent a bunch of wasted hours trying to figure this out.

If the samsung camera is in pelco p or pelco d mode you will be able to move the camera around, if this doesnt work i would look at what you mentioned the converter.

But the samsung internal menu will only be pulled up if the samsung camera is in samsung T mode and the dvr is set to Techwin. Also it helps to have a samsung DVR with a menu button.

Thanks to ripnero for your response

I have good news cos I have got my ptz working.

I found out that the female 9-pin connection on the back of the Avtech 674 isn't rs232, so I didn't need a converter after all. I ended up sticking the two rs485 wires into holes 8 & 9 (+ into 8, - into 9) and it worked. I may end up having to solder the wires onto a proper connector, although its fine as it is, so long as I don't move the dvr too much.

I then had a problem where the image from the ptz kept disappearing when i was panning & tilting, but it turned out that the problem was caused by having the ptz on the same 12v power adapter as my other cameras (via a 4-way splitter). When powered independently, it worked okay.

A further problem, that I've now resolved, was that I couldn't select the options in the ptz camera's own menu. The [enter] button on my dvr's remote controller didn't do anything, although it worked okay in the dvr's own menus.

I discovered that the [Audio CH-] button on the remote did the job instead and allows me to select options. Also, the [Audio CH+] allows me to navigate back through the menu pages.

It has been a real pain in the backside, but I got there in the end. Hopefully this might help somebody else, especially if they also have an Avtech 674

thanks

Hi

If you want to using AVTECH DVR to control other brand PTZ, maybe you can call the No.95 preset piont. In the standard Pelco protocol, the No.95 preset be used to adjust the OSD menu on PTZ itself.

Marvin Young

www.uaichina.net

this is my first post ,so hi all, I am new to the cctv scene and I am trying to correctly control a no name ptz camera (could be a geovision camera ) as the circuit board in the camera is theres . and the dipswitches inside work according to there protocol list.

I can get the avtech 674b to control the pan tilt and zoom of the camera ,but a cannot access the camera osd menu to set tours etc . the dvr is set as pelco d as is the camera .

I have tried pelco p on both dvr and ptz but no comms . I don't know what the NORMAL protocol is on avtechs dvr so cant try to set this on the ptz .

also its suggested that the preset 95 works to access the osd but im not sure if the camera goes upto 95. I have tried setting a 95 preset but it doesn't seem to respond to it .

im unsure of which way forward to go. would buying a camera controller work across the rs485 or does it need to be specific to the camera .

the setup is for home security and a tour/scan is needed as it will monitor 3 different areas.