mjctech

DIYer looking for some recommendations for new system

Hi i've been reading some post and you guys really know your stuff. I understand that often the best thing is to consult a professional but being an AV geek and handyman i cant bring myself to do it. I am not concerned about my inability to wire or install correctly but getting the right equipment and placing it correctly.

I am hoping to spend under $2,000. Would like a 6 channel dvr that will connect via Ethernet to my router so i can access it when i am away. I would prefer color and am looking to employ different types of cameras for best coverage. i have made a quick diagram outlining my property.

I am particurly interested in what brands are good for dvrs and cameras. but any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

blueprint.jpg.085dc6d47aeda264d35234091d44b8e3.jpg

I am not a professional so don't feel qualified to advise on a whole system, but I just wanted to say nice diagram

hope you are successful in setting up a system that works well for you. There are plenty on here that will give you ideas and advice. Another idea is to get estimates and proposals from local professional companies.

(Obviously make sure they are free estimates) I think your approach is very realistic and honest.

Wishing you all the best.

I agree with numb nuts... you're on the right track. Good quality gear is important. Do it right so you can set it and forget it.

I prefer Cat5 for almost all cable runs... its so neat that it can run almost anything.

Things with Made in China stickers... seem to have more duds and things that catch fire than others.

Don't go with a packaged system, as the cameras incuded are usually next to worthless.

Your budget is very do-able for analog or 704x480 cameras.

Spec sheets can be misleading. They'll tell you lots of half truths and try to sell you on things that don't matter like number of LEDs. That's one of my fav.. My surefire has a single LED and its 100x brighter than a harbor freight flashlight wit 50 LEDs.

I would strongly advise that unless you find a trustworthy and knowledgable dealer, that you should try a single camera out at a time. The only thing worse than a crappy camera is a box full of crappy cameras.

Thanks!

Can i run cat 5 for bnc cameras or thats if i were to go the network route

For the dvr i'm looking at

MaceView SQ80 8-Channel

or

CNB HDE2412 8 Channel

Cameras

i want to get 5 or 6 to start

i think i may try a couple from each brand

The cnb monalisas look nice but there are alot to choose from

1x The WCM-20VF from CNB Monalisa Weatherproof IR with 600TVL 3.8~9.5MM Vari-Focal, Intelligent IR upto 60FT,

1x CNB VBM-24VF VANDAL RESISTANT DOME CAMERA, 600 TVL, 2.8-10.5mm VARIFOCAL LENS, 0.01 LUX

1x NUVICO CB-HD39N-L BULLET CAMERA 550 TV Lines 3.8~9.5mm Vari-focal Lens

For the less important spots

1x LJL-20S from CNB iMonalisa Outdoor Eyeball-Type Ir Dome (68MM)- 600TVL, 3.8MM Fixed Lens, , UPTO 45FT,

1x NUVICO CV-H2N VANDALPROOF DOME CAMERA, 1/3" CCD Sensor, 550 TV Lines

2.9mm Fixed Lens, 0.1 Lux

1x MaceView SQ Series: IR Vandal Resistant Bullet Camera, 1/3" SONY CCD, 420 TVL (Color),15m Night-Vision,4mm Fixed Lens

any comments or suggestions?