Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Outdoor installs

I was asked this and I just don't know. How do you guys handle a when the cable has to go out a brick wall?

What do you mean? If you are talking about running a wire through you have to choices. First drill right through it and then use flexible liquid tight conduct and seal everything off. Second choice is to go through the ceiling and run the wire out to the outside.

drill the hole large enough for the cable, box the connection on the outside (be careful not to bend the RG beyond 90 degrees as it degrade the cable specs). Use a weather proof box as a passthru for the cables. OR, use a weather proof tape called Coax Seal (pretty much gummy tape that seal the connection water tight) and then cover the cables with a flex split tubing to make it look clean. If wires or exposed to vandalism, metal tubing and metal box. Outside connections will make it easier to check or replace the camera, align, ect.

OR, drill hole to pull back the connectors and then back fill the hole with the great stuff. I prefer the great stuff because you can punch it out with a screw driver if needed...to replace or check. Just refill. Pulling it back looks better, but makes checking, aligning the camera harder since you have to run the test cable longer....if you can? I take along a wireless laptop/router and use that for aligning if needed. Or, cell phone and a friend.