alpine0000

are CAT5 modular connectors the same as the CAT6 connectors?

In otherwords, are they compatible?

I ordered bulk CAT6 calbing and now I need connectors. I always assumed the connector was the same, just the cabling was a better on CAT 6. But now that I am looking online to order bulk 8P8C modular connectors, I am seeing some listed as CAT5/CAT5E only, and then others listed as CAT6. Weird...

For example, can I use these with CAT6 cabling, or should I find some that are specific for CAT6?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896775052&cm_re=8p8c-_-96-775-052-_-Product

Sorry for the dumb question, but thanks in advance.

Both fit an RJ-45 jack, but Cat6 is a larger wire than Cat5e (23ga. vs. 24ga.), so Cat6 probably won't fit into most Cat5e plugs, and Cat5e might be loose in a Cat6 plug (and may not get good contact, depending on the blade design).

I'm not sure if it's part of the Cat6 spec, but all the Cat6 I've worked with has been stranded as well, as opposed to solid core... that generally requires a different blade design in the plug, too.

Thanks Matt. Makes perfect sense. I will continue to search for CAT6-specific connectors. It seems like they are more expensive than CAT5/E for some reason... I wouldn't think that they'd be more expensive to manufacture, but who knows.

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

I'm not sure if it's part of the Cat6 spec, but all the Cat6 I've worked with has been stranded as well, as opposed to solid core... that generally requires a different blade design in the plug, too.

Do you guys prefer solid or stranded? I know that solid can go greater distances, but it seems that stranded is better for terminating, because it goes into the crimp connectors better. None of my runs are over 100 feet in my house. Would you guys buy solid or stranded CAT6 for making your own cables? These will be run through the walls and attic.

Also, are you guys finding any need for STP (shielded twisted pair) over UTP (unshielded)? I am not running it with any power lines, and it's for use in my home. Is it worth it to drop the extra money on sheilded, or should I just stick with unshielded? Do you think unshielded will pick up un-wanted interference from other CAT6 cables that are run next to it?

I would use UTP, rather than STP (shielded). Shielded is more expensive, and probably unnecessary, unless you're running it near a bunch of fluorescents or something that generates a lot of EMI. In the average house, you should be good with UTP.

Also, I've used Cat5E connectors on Cat6 cable. It's a tighter fit than Cat5E, but you just need a little more force to get the cable end inside the RJ45 connector. I crimp them as usual (with a Paladin tool), and haven't had one fail yet.

We run all cat 5/6 in solid and for ethernet,the length standard is the same, 100 meters including patch cords. You should run solid as most jacks are designed for solid wire. Stranded should be used for patch cords. Many people make up there own patch cords using solid wire and they seem to fail more than the stranded ones do. I think it may be the lack of flex in the connector. The plugs come in flavors for solid, stranded and universal. Be carefull to keep the stranded and solid ones seperate as they will often not work correctely if used on the wrong wire. I have found that the crimp tool should be the same brand as the plugs. I have no idea why but they just seem to work better.