IseeU2

Need OPINIONS on DVR purchase

I have been using a DIY PC based DVR for the past 12 years. It has been upgraded several times. The video card is now out and I am considering buying a stand alone system. The stand alones have improved quite a bit since I first started, and the lower power consumption will save several hundred over a year’s time. My needs are 8, or more channels, multiple monitors, simultaneous 1 computer the rest TV, internet access to viewing, and of course the best video in live and playback. My cameras are all analog. I am expecting to spend $500 – 1K

Does anyone have opinions on the following;

CSP-BCGEN8

CSP-EXTREME8DVR

If you google they come up easy. I would post a link but there may be forum rules against it.

I would appreciate any opinions and recommendations.

They are Dahua DVRs, distributed through Gen IV (Intellicam), cant go wrong with them.

That online store exaggerates it a little though, they ARE great bang for buck, though its still budget DVRs.

Live and network video can be awesome, even better than Geovision, the recorded video is not as good but still good enough and much better than many others, easy to distribute as well. They have their CONs but the PROs outweigh those. The larger units allow for more than 1 HDD and also loop out and spot monitor. Network support for many different Operating systems including Linux.

And yes these lower priced DVRs have got WAY better than they were in years gone by .. I was impressed when I got my hands on them for the first time last summer, since then installed a few of them including a 32 channel unit. In fact I use these over Geovision now, easy to install, plug and play, only took 3 minutes to setup the 32 channel for recording and network access!

Just dont expect any amazing HD video .. these are still just analog DVRs, and the cameras are also part of the limitation.

Their PSS Network software is easy to customize also which I like, and they have an SDK for programmers. See more about that here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23702

The DVRs save the video in a custom ".dav" format but PSS allows downloading and converting to AVI in recent versions, also there is a player which does converting to AVI .. or I made a custom version of that also available on my site (free) which only converts. They also have a program that reads the files from the HDD within Windows.

The PSS software also allows offsite recording of motion detected events from the DVR, and alarm video monitoring out to multiple PC Monitors.

And I have some sample videos and images on my website, the ones labelled Dahua

WOW, lots of info, thanks.

I don't need the loop out ability, and a single drive will do fine since all cameras are motion only. The DVD isn't necessary since there is a PC 2 feet away. With that in mind is there any reason to spend the extra on the bigger unit?

Generally no, with a 2TB drive can get a decent enough recording time .. they only stock the slim ones here so thats pretty much all I ever install anyway, and they can fit on shelves easier ... the others would be special order but nobody came to me with those requirements yet other than the 1x 32 channel.

I notice the "pro" doesn't list D1 like the Extreme does. I called them on it and salesman "Andrew" said 4CIF was the same. I don't believe he is correct. Do I care either way?

Does the pro have the option to set some cameras at 4CIF while other cameras are at a lower resolution and / or frame rate?

The specs say it remote viewing is possible on a Iphone, do you know if the Itouch will work also?

Yes they all have individual settings for each camera.

D1 or CIF, CBR or VBR, Frame Rate, Bit Rate, and others.

Each use a sub stream for the mobile devices.

I tested it on the Ipad so maybe works on the Itouch if both are the Ios?

Another example is you can set channel 1 at D1 30fps and then the remaining channels at CIF 30fps.

BTW "pro" and "extreme" are just names that online store give the DVRs, it differs from one to the next and the actual manufacturer has their own names for them. Dahua calls it the LE-A, Gen IV calls it the Business class or G4-HDE, the distributor I get it from calls it the Slimline series, another calls it the Elite Mini ...

IS there a cost effective DVR that records good in HD??

Clear night vision? no shifting or black areas of noise??

Thanks