Sign in to follow this  
dvrtiger

Intellex 2.6/3.2 issue

Hi,

I have a problem with one Intellex 2.6/3.2 unit (Intel D865GBF motherboard). Recently, HDD started to show it's age, so we decided to replace it. But, here our problems started. New HDDs (we have tried one 500GB ATA and one 320GB SATA unit, with BIOS update to the latest version) were properly prepared and installed but recovery process can not be started or if if it starts, after it unit hangs on at boot (after POST). The only HDD with which this unit starts is the old HDD. If someone could help. I would appreciate it.

Are you restoring or recovering??

If your original main hard drive is still good, you can recover by disk copy to another drive by making sure the slice of the drive is the same size as the original.. It is not relevant if your new drive is a SATA or PATA...

Or, you can restore the specific version Intellex software on a new drive...

There should have been no reason to upgrade the firmware on your motherboard...

Dependent how you "prepared" the new drives, chances are good that either correct drive is not set as boot at your bios or the section of the boot drive is not active.

Hope this helps.

New BIOS version was installed because of some known issues with newer SATA HDD generation, and hard drives were partitioned and proper partition was activated. Also they all got their correct settings under BIOS. Well I guess I could try to clone the old disk to a new one, but Im not so sure how well it will go, because of a state in which the old drive is...

Is the Intellex boot correctly with the older drive? What is important is that C:\ drive to function... the rest will be assigned as storage anyway... If it is booting to this drive and you are able to view Intellex screen shots, then you can duplicate that drive on a new drive.

You can use this http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119 to duplicate the drives... however, make sure the replacement drive is Western Digital... OR you an use any other hard drive duplication software... there are many available from other companies...

If the above process does not work due to older hard drive condition, then the only other option you have is to restore Intellex to its original format... If it is version 3.0, stay with the same version restore process... otherwise you will have SW incompatibility issues using any other versions. Do you have access to restore CD sets for this system?

Hi, thanks for your quick response. Yes, the system boots up properly with the old HDD but it doesn't with any new drive and I'm unable to add new HDD for storage with the old one as system drive. System just refuses to boot or work with any new HDD. Even if I clone the old one to another HDD, this new HDD still doesn't boot. New HDD's are detected by BIOS but boot sequence stops after POST. I suspect there is something really wrong with IDE/SATA controller on motherboard..

Yes I have access to recovery CDs and procedures for all versions and I'm familiar with replacing Intellex motherboards and spoofing their MAC.

Hi, thanks for your quick response. Yes, the system boots up properly with the old HDD but it doesn't with any new drive and I'm unable to add new HDD for storage with the old one as system drive. System just refuses to boot or work with any new HDD. Even if I clone the old one to another HDD, this new HDD still doesn't boot. New HDD's are detected by BIOS but boot sequence stops after POST.

I suspect there is something really wrong with IDE/SATA controller on motherboard..

This is possible... but...

Which version Intellex you really have? version 2.6 OR version 3.2. As you may already know that version 2.6 is based on Win98 and version 3.2 uses Win2000. Hardware compatibility with OS will be essential...

Yes I have access to recovery CDs and procedures for all versions and I'm familiar with replacing Intellex motherboards and spoofing their MAC.

This unit came to me with win2000 OS (Intellex software version 3.2.55), stickers on it's case and HDD are marked 2.6/3.2. Original drive is WD 250GB, ATA, MoBo is Intel D865GBF. This unit was never serviced and it came to me in it's original configuration. All other components tested OK.

Thank for clarifying that it is version 3.2... it explains a lot.

Hi, thanks for your quick response. Yes, the system boots up properly with the old HDD but it doesn't with any new drive and I'm unable to add new HDD for storage with the old one as system drive.

Makes no sense... There are quite of few hard drive copy utilities (we are using one from Western Digital). It duplicated the hard drive exactly as requested. We strictly use only Western Digital Surveillance Grade drives, so this utility works perfectly... as it will recognize if both drives are WD or not.. and if not, it will state that it will not work. However, there are other utilities available from Acronis that will allow you to copy and make or model of drive...

As for storage - this is a very simple process.. once your c:\ drive is duplicated and works, then go to Disk management (right click on my computer and select manage function) and then select remainder of the drive, activate and then format... once complete, the rest of the drive is ready to join Intellex for storage. Go back to desktop and use "Drive Config" function of Intellex.. it will recognize and allocate available slice of the drive for storage and then it is ready to store video.

System just refuses to boot or work with any new HDD. Even if I clone the old one to another HDD, this new HDD still doesn't boot. New HDD's are detected by BIOS but boot sequence stops after POST. I suspect there is something really wrong with IDE/SATA controller on motherboard..

This is possible, but not likely.. Which hard drive duplicate utility are you using? Also, once you add this new drive, check in the bios to make sure it is the first drive to boot.. unless if you want to restore Intellex, then make sure your CD or DVD drive is selected for first boot order...

Are you restoring or recovering??

If your original main hard drive is still good, you can recover by disk copy to another drive by making sure the slice of the drive is the same size as the original.. It is not relevant if your new drive is a SATA or PATA...

Or, you can restore the specific version Intellex software on a new drive...

There should have been no reason to upgrade the firmware on your motherboard...

Dependent how you "prepared" the new drives, chances are good that either correct drive is not set as boot at your bios or the section of the boot drive is not active.

Hope this helps.