electro

16 camera system with motion detection and PIR alarm

Hi,

This is my first system for a residential project. The idea is the following:

I want a Security system that functions as a GSM Alarm system but records everything on CCTV.

In other words:

I'm planning to get a 16 channels DVR system (OEM DVR8816). Have 16 cameras connected to it (one is a PTZ).

I want the DVR to trigger a sirene when motion is detected via a loudspeaker. This seems to be possible.

However I want this system to be comfortable in use as a normal alarm system wich uses remotes or RFID Fob keys.

So I thought of the following options:

1)The DVR has an alarm output, which is used to trigger the siren (COM/NC). Is it possible to use this output as a wired sensor for an alarm central?

2) the DVR has 16 sensor inputs, I could connect 16 PIRs to it for more precise detection. However if I leave/enter my house, how do I enable/disable the motion detection on the DVR?

I don't want the motion detection enabled when I'm inside, because that would trigger the siren continuously. So there must be a way to enable/disable the motion detection from a code panel placed conveniently near a door or a remote.

I have the following on my shopping list:

3x 540TVL white light camera for indoor use

2x 540TVL white light camera for outdoor use

1x 540TVL white light camera with car LPR

9x 540TVL white light dome camera

1x 100x zoom high speed dome PTZ

1x DVR8816 [mod edit: store link removed]

So if it is actually possible what I want please let me know, and how or what I need to do this.

Thanks!

I want the DVR to trigger a sirene when motion is detected via a loudspeaker. This seems to be possible.

You can save yourself some trouble and just get a siren and hook it to a small circuit that activates the siren at random times for no reason The result will be about the same as the motion detection function of a common DVR.

It is possible to do something along the lines of what you are looking for, but you're probably going to have to step up to higher end equipment.

You can save yourself some trouble and just get a siren and hook it to a small circuit that activates the siren at random times for no reason

ROFL!!!! This is the funniest thing I've seen all week

BTW, that PTZ won't come cheap... even in the higher-end Pelco Spectras (retail about $3,000-$4,000), 32X zoom is the max you'll generally find. 100X will either need to use digital zoom as well as optical, or will require a lens that makes a LOT of compromises in quality, or will require a lens that very big and VERY expensive (which will mean a camera that's very expensive, and an exceptionally large enclosure to fit the lens).

And you're plugging all this into a $600 cheapie standalone DVR? Riiiiiiight.

ROFL!!!! This is the funniest thing I've seen all week

BTW, that PTZ won't come cheap... even in the higher-end Pelco Spectras (retail about $3,000-$4,000), 32X zoom is the max you'll generally find. 100X will either need to use digital zoom as well as optical, or will require a lens that makes a LOT of compromises in quality, or will require a lens that very big and VERY expensive (which will mean a camera that's very expensive, and an exceptionally large enclosure to fit the lens).

And you're plugging all this into a $600 cheapie standalone DVR? Riiiiiiight.

Well, didn't know it was that easy to make you laugh. The thing that made me laugh is that you took time reading my post, not understanding it, and instead of giving advice you critisized my 600 USD DVR. And that's something that tells more about you than me.

For your information, the PTZ is 100x digital zoom. And the price for it: 263 USD

The DVR, i'm getting it for 366 USD. And the cameras go for around 40 usd each with Sony Super HAD CCD II

Anyway, that all was not the main subject. The subject was to link an alarm system to a CCTV DVR. I'll have a talk with one of the engineers of the factory on Monday to see if the Alarm out can trigger an alarm central.

For your information, the PTZ is 100x digital zoom. And the price for it: 263 USD

The DVR, i'm getting it for 366 USD. And the cameras go for around 40 usd each with Sony Super HAD CCD II

Anyway, that all was not the main subject. The subject was to link an alarm system to a CCTV DVR. I'll have a talk with one of the engineers of the factory on Monday to see if the Alarm out can trigger an alarm central.

Digital zoom on a PTZ is worthless. All you're going to get is massive pixelization of whatever you're zooming in on. I have contacts directly at some of the factories in China that make this stuff. I can tell you that even ordered direct, in lots of 25+, you can't get a useful PTZ for $263. You *can* get something that has a 10x zoom, and then a bunch of "digital" zoom garbage beyond that, but it's not going to do much beyond about 40 or 50 feet from the camera, and it's also going to be about $400 street price.

There is also no $366 DVR that is going to have any kind of a usable motion detection function in it. It's just a glorified scene change alarm, and if you use it on outdoor cameras it's going to trigger ALL THE TIME.

In all honesty, you're most likely just throwing money away on that system.

Well, didn't know it was that easy to make you laugh.

"Iz funny, because iz true!"

The thing that made me laugh is that you took time reading my post, not understanding it, and instead of giving advice you critisized my 600 USD DVR. And that's something that tells more about you than me.

Oh, I understood it perfectly. BRK already answered that part of the question; I couldn't have added anything to what he said, that's why I didn't bother before... like he said, you're not going to get usable motion detection for what you want to do with anything less than a true video-analytics solution.

And again, like BRK said, there's no way you're going to get USABLE 100x zoom for that kind of price. At 100x digital zoom, take a little box of about 30x20 pixels and blow that up to full size - that's all "digital zoom" is: it crops out a portion of the image and expands it to fill the screen.

You don't need factory engineers to tell you that: the answer is yes, it can.

We're trying to tell you that your alarm will be going off either constantly, or not at all.

The info on the PTZ is just a friendly freebie to save you from throwing even more money at something that really truly isn't going to work the way you think it will.

That's our experienced, professional advice - take it or leave it.

I seriously hope for you that you don't say that to your customers.

Anyway I found another source on the web that's more helpfull and polite. So I'll take your experienced professional advice and leave the forum.

You can save yourself some trouble and just get a siren and hook it to a small circuit that activates the siren at random times for no reason The result will be about the same as the motion detection function of a common DVR.

It is possible to do something along the lines of what you are looking for, but you're probably going to have to step up to higher end equipment.

HAHA! By rofl, I mean no offense electro.... However, he's right to some degree... I applaud you for using PIRs for motion detection, instead of video. However, DVRs are NOT alarm systems. There are very few DVRs in the world that could successfully pull this project off... and I know nothing about the one you're looking at so I shouldn't pass judgement on it's worthiness of your goals. You should know, however that what you're trying to do is going to be very tricky to get it reliable enough for a "security" solution... I would advise putting most of your PIRs and/or external triggers onto an alarm panel, and just have a handful on the DVR for basic various alarming/ recording functions.

As a suggestion: put most of PIRs and/or triggers on an alarm panel where you can setup zones, scheduling, and arm/disarm parameters. Most any off the shelf alarm panel will do this... if it doesn't have an aux out, you can hook a relay up to the bell output in order to close contacts on your DVR. Security panels are dirt cheap these days... even the tried and true ones.

Hope this helps!

I seriously hope for you that you don't say that to your customers.

Sometimes... when they ask for advice and then get snotty when they don't get answers they like... yes.

Anyway I found another source on the web that's more helpfull and polite. So I'll take your experienced professional advice and leave the forum.

Have fun with that. I've seen some of the other forums out there, I'm guessing they have plenty of guys that will be more than happy to sell you their dirt-cheap toys.

Hope this helps!

Too late, he's already left in a huff.

Not heeding the words of Groucho Marx, who always said, "Never leave in a huff... leave in a minute and a huff."

HAHA! By rofl, I mean no offense electro.... However, he's right to some degree... I applaud you for using PIRs for motion detection, instead of video. However, DVRs are NOT alarm systems. There are very few DVRs in the world that could successfully pull this project off... and I know nothing about the one you're looking at so I shouldn't pass judgement on it's worthiness of your goals. You should know, however that what you're trying to do is going to be very tricky to get it reliable enough for a "security" solution... I would advise putting most of your PIRs and/or external triggers onto an alarm panel, and just have a handful on the DVR for basic various alarming/ recording functions.

As a suggestion: put most of PIRs and/or triggers on an alarm panel where you can setup zones, scheduling, and arm/disarm parameters. Most any off the shelf alarm panel will do this... if it doesn't have an aux out, you can hook a relay up to the bell output in order to close contacts on your DVR. Security panels are dirt cheap these days... even the tried and true ones.

Hope this helps!

No worries about the ROFL bpzle. And thanks for the advice! I am searching now for a decent security panel. As you mentioned, many of them have the "Alarm Out" connector. I installed a Delta Dore system in my home in France two years ago. Works perfectly. So I think to get a similar system, but with wired PIR, and connect that to the DVR for my project in Thailand.

Thanks again!