aliciac

Adding a microphone.

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for some advice please on adding a microphone to my CCTV setup. I have a CP CAM 505 system (the PDF manual can be found here: http://scorpiontheater.tech.officelive.com/Documents/AVTech_Manual_English_CPD503_505_507_V0.99.pdf) and want to add a microphone to it so that it can record voice as well as video. There are six cameras connected to this sytem (capacity is 8 cameras) and the images are shown on a standard LCD television connected to the system by a BNC cable.

I want to know what type of microphone I will need (hopefully an inexpensive one), and whether I will need to connect speakers to the CCTV system, or whether I can use the television's speakers.

For example, would something like this be suitable?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CCTV-Security-Microphone-Kit-10mCable-PSU-High-Quality-/280653659612?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item415842fddc

And then connecting the CCTV system to the television with something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Phono-RCA-Male-Twin-RCA-Male-Cable-Lead-10m-Gold-/260579388906?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3cabbdedea

Also, would I need to change anything in the CCTV system's menus, to enable audio recording for example?

Thanks very much! I look forward to any replies.

Alicia. x

That mic would probably work, but seems rather... cheap and clunkly. Really, just about any basic mic will do; personally, I'd recommend a dynamic type, as you won't need to power it. You'd just run it into one of the four RCA audio-in jacks on the back of the unit (area 16 on page 8 of the manual).

To connect to the TV, you'd need a cable with RCA plug on one end (for the TV) and BNC on the other (for the MON OUT on the DVR). Or at least the proper adapters.

Be aware that audio recording is illegal under most circumstances in some areas... if you're just recording inside your house, you may be alright, but you should still check with your local authorities.

Thanks for the reply Soundy, it's much appreciated. I will give it a try and see how I get on. Do you know if I will need to activate audio recording in any menu, or will the system automatically begin audio recording once a microphone is correctly connected? Also, roughly how much extra hard drive space will recording audio on top of video use? At the moment, with a 500GB hard drive installed, using "best" the quality setting, I get about 30 days of recordings (that's all six cameras). Presumably this will reduce? Or has the system always recorded audio, just no sound, and so it will not affect space usage?

Thank you!

Alicia.

I have used these before with good results. http://www.etsnm.com/pdfs/sm5.pdf

ETSSM5-1.jpg

Single zone audio surveillance system designed to connect directly to an audio recorder, video recorder, CCTV monitor (with a built in speaker), remote monitoring equipment, etc.

Kit Includes

• SM1 Pre-amplified microphone.

• SM2 Interface adapter.

• Mounting screws (SM1)

• 1 each AC adapter.

• 1 each foot 3.5 mm or RCA Patch cable (please specify your preference in the customer notes)

• Installation Instructions

• Warning label.

Options

* SM1S surface mount adapter for SM1.

* White (standard) or ivory face plate.

* SPECIFY: RCA output connectors OR 3.5mm when ordering.

Wiring Requirements

• Stranded 22-gauge, 2-conductor shielded cable. Distances up to 1500 Feet.

SM1 Microphone Specifications

• Omni-directional Electret element. 25’ range in all directions.

• Frequency response: 200 - 16 Khz.

• Low noise MOSFET pre-amplifier.

• Line level, unbalanced output.

• Adjustable gain.

• Treble boost circuit. Selectable on/off. Enhances clarity of time lapse recordings.

• Limiter circuit. Selectable on/off.

• Three position Euro-style connector makes cable termination fast and clean.

• Flush or surface mountable. Can be mounted on a single gang electrical box.

• Power: 12 VDC @ 10mA

• See SM1 microphone for more information.

SM2 Interface Adapter Specifications

• Standard RCA jack for connection to tape recorders, etc.

• Easy cable run termination.

• LED power indicator.

• Power:12 VDC @ 10mA

• Reverse polarity protected and fused.

• Dimensions W 1.75 x L 2.75 x H 1.25

Caution

It may be against the law to install this equipment in

certain environments. It is the responsibility of the

installation company and end user to comply with state

and federal laws. If you are unfamiliar with these laws,

consult a qualified attorney.

Warranty

1 year parts and labor.

40%

Details

I didn't see anything in the manual about enabling audio... I would guess if there's nothing in the menus, then it's enabled by default. Space used will depend on what codec and compression level they're using - nothing about that in there either.