ChrisH

Outdoor remote site

I have done analog CCTV and some IP CCTV for more than a few years now. I was just asked to come up with a solution that I've never ran into. A customer wants a camera (type to be determined) at a remote site. This remote site has no electricity and what he wants to do is to watch a certain area durning mostly the daytime. Obviously this needs a solar/wind powered solution. The other problem is the DVR. Is there a way to remote into a DVR via GSM or are you stuck on going to the device and watching it locally? The distance is too far from his home to this site for a WLAN also. Like I said, this is totally new ground for me and any info or suggestions are welcome. Thanks

This has actually been discussed here regularly - there are several threads with good information.

You can actually do WLAN with the proper hardware - purpose-build wireless systems with high-gain directional antennas. The catch is that it does have to be line-of-sight between the camera location and the DVR location (although the antennas or access points don't necessarily have to be directly beside the camera or DVR), but you can get systems that will cover several kilometers. Ubiquiti is popular for these types of installations (http://www.ubnt.com/).

There are also GSM/3G/HSPA interfaces that let you stream a camera over wireless networks, but the data will add up fast and could get very expensive, especially if he's watching it a lot.

Solar-charged battery power systems are not uncommon either - there are others here with plenty of experience, and again, several other threads covering the topic.

Thanks Soundy. I did try to do some searches, but did not come up with much. Not using the correct key words probably. I think the distance will be too great to cover via a WLAN, thus I'm trying to look into other possible options or even other possible ideas. The customer will not be viewing on a regular basis, it will be more for searching and reviewing, but I do realize that this will still use quite a bit of data. Just exploring my options at this time.

Thanks Soundy. I did try to do some searches, but did not come up with much. Not using the correct key words probably. I think the distance will be too great to cover via a WLAN, thus I'm trying to look into other possible options or even other possible ideas. The customer will not be viewing on a regular basis, it will be more for searching and reviewing, but I do realize that this will still use quite a bit of data. Just exploring my options at this time.

Wind/solar will sort out the power problem.

Point to point radio systems will cover 40km line of sight or 20km near line of site with ease if congured correctly.

GSM and 3G are also options for review of the local DVR.

You can also consider static cameras with on-board storage (SD card).

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Yeah, if you're not viewing regularly, then something with onboard storage might be a good option... or perhaps a small DVR designed for mobile, so it will run off 12V and not require a lot of power.

What exactly is this customer watching for? What sort of environment? Something that can record on motion and be fine-tuned for triggered recording, possibly something with built-in analytics, could greatly reduce the storage space needed, so you could potentially get days or weeks out of a flash-memory card.

I just did a search on "portable" and "solar" and got some threads that should be useful for you: search.php?keywords=portable+solar&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

You might see if a small generator on the site would be an option as well...

mobotix have teamed up with a company in the uk. any of there cameras over 3g (soon 4g) good thing about using mobotix is they have a low power consumption to start with. so your not spending a lot of $$$ to just keep the camera running.

footage stored on camera and also can be recorded off site with the mobotix software.

or if you have 50m line of site then mobotix wireless.

Mobotix MobileCam by Cybex:

M22-MIT - GSM/GPRS/3G router. Powered by battery charged by solar energy gives 100% independence from any cables. You simply carry it or place it at a spot, switch it on and live transmission starts. The frame rate depends on the available bandwidth of GPRS or 3G network.

Applications:

Broadcast of an event at web site

Remote surveillance

Traffic cam on a moving vehicle

Portable Construction site cam

Sailboat live cam

Broadcast of images from a person moving around

this one ready to go everything in one unit.

mobilecam-1.gif

or the wireless setup. (expensive)

http://www.hivelocitynetworks.com/mobotix-solar.html

mobotix_polemount-1.jpg

Tom, those are interesting setups. The one that trasmits via 3G must use quite a bit of data streaming back to a remote site. Have you ever used either of these?

I have given the mobile DVR a thought and transmit via GSM/3G for search and review. Anyone have experience with a cellular router?

Tom, those are interesting setups. The one that trasmits via 3G must use quite a bit of data streaming back to a remote site. Have you ever used either of these?

I have given the mobile DVR a thought and transmit via GSM/3G for search and review. Anyone have experience with a cellular router?

i have not used the 3g with mobotix (just posted it as it is very low power camera) would be good with solar or wind power.

Tmobile. both in the USA and UK do a 3g sim pack. only used for data for the likes of cctv. another is vodafone on att U-verse network

VideoIQ would be the perfect solution with 3g/4g and solar or wind power.

So can you tell me more about VideoIQ. I looked at their website enough to be curious. It appears that they make cameras with built in analytic engines, thus not needing VMS to do the processing. Do they also have local storage on the camera, via a SD?

VideoIQ would be the perfect solution with 3g/4g and solar or wind power.

So can you tell me more about VideoIQ. I looked at their website enough to be curious. It appears that they make cameras with built in analytic engines, thus not needing VMS to do the processing. Do they also have local storage on the camera, via a SD?

"Our cameras incorporate storage (up to 500GB) in the camera, along with self-calibrating video analytics adapted to detecting people and vehicles (and ignoring pretty much all other motion).

For your scenario, you can mount one of our 1080p HD cameras, get continuous recording at 1080p 24/7 if you like, and get real-time notifications of certain activities (like a person coming into a specific area of your property at night). All of this is managed within the camera itself, so there is no requirement to have a back-end PC running any software to make it all work.

An example of a camera mounted on my house, tracks me, ignores the dog:

"

Here are more videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/VideoIQ#p/u/3/ocThjgHXTyo

PM if you need pricing.