Sign in to follow this  
jackal84

New camera for front yard

Hi Guys

Im looking of a camera for the front yard of my house. Ideally i would like something with IR. I have a large yard so not sure if IR will work. I do have a street light but the camera will be pointing the other direction.

This is something im looking at. i know its low end but i dont want to spend too much.

I currently have a swann pc dvr 4 and it seems ok. Im running bulldog cameras but found the ir is useless outside and the image quality is not that great.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QC8619&CATID=13&form=CAT&SUBCATID=547

I will be installing a flood light eventually so IR may not be so much of an issue. What are your thoughts.

Thanks

Luke

From my experience I would skip the IR if possible and just get good quality day/night camera. IR is OK if you just want to know if someone was there but tends to give ghostly or "silvery" image that is no good to ID anyone. If practical in your situation, add good IR motion detector flood to illuminate the camera view area. Make sure the flood is behind or out of direct view of the camera so cam is not blinded by it. I am using this combination for 3 outdoor cameras. Works great, gives color view when lights come on and lights add extra level of deterrence.

hey guys

I have since found out that it is not an outdoor dome even though it says indoor/outdoor.

Can anyone recommend a store that will send a decent camera to Australia. Im looking at something that has clear and can cover a 10m x 10m area. I think i will need to upgrade my dvr card as it is very basic but figure im best spending the $ on camera's at this stage. Am i best working with cctv camera's or moving to IP.

what do you guys think.

May want to try some of the low light cams now available with 3dnr. They are low light cams that use a slow shutter and digital noise reduction to remove grain from the image. they work very well but even better with a long range IR lamp. Samsung do a range which utilize this tech.