Have a CNB IR Bullet camera on a 650 foot run. Its works great , but after a hour or so it keeps blowing fuses in 9 power box .I tried switching to another fuse but it blows also. All other (8) cameras work fine. Any ideas?? Thanks, James....

First step would be to swap this camera with another one, see if the same fuse blows or if the problem follows the camera.

If the same one blows, then there's probably a wiring issue and you should check for damage to the power wire.

Are you using 24VAC or 12VDC power? What size is the power wire? 650' is a pretty long run...

Using RG59, 24v. Thought this size wire was good for 700-800 ft. Cameras been on for over 1 hr now, hasn`t blown yet.On third fuse.I did go to camera and re tighten all connections.

That wire is really too small for the load you're putting on it. Assuming a maximum 1A current draw, you're losing over 8.5V:

1495444127_AmericanWireGaugetableandAWGElectricalCurrentLoadLimitswithskindepthfrequencies.thumb.png.cb4933ee8d873dca27bad43455b3f209.png

Well, 24VAC RMS will read as ~28V P-P on a cheap meter... and that's probably without the IR running - assuming the camera runs about 300mA draw without IR, you're looking at only about 2.5V loss.

Meter is a old fluke 77 digital, don`t think its cheap, but can`t remember what I paid. Maybe you just gave me the answer. Could it be volts may be ok now but when the IR kicks in {during night time} its blowing the fuse.Well, thanks Soundy, will continue to look into this.Its been running fine now for a couple hours.

Sorry, rather than "cheap meter", I should have specified, "a meter that doesn't read true RMS".

In any case, you also need to measure the voltage at the camera - even under full load, you'll still read full power AT the power supply.

Using RG59, 24v. Thought this size wire was good for 700-800 ft. Cameras been on for over 1 hr now, hasn`t blown yet.On third fuse.I did go to camera and re tighten all connections.

You got to stop feeding the alligator!! Every once in a while we get a new tech that keeps feeding fuses while scratching his ass in bewilderment wondering why he keeps blowing fuses. As Matt suggested you need to up the wire size or you might have an intermittent ground fault issue (bad power cable). Get your meter out and diagnose.

Sorry Tailbone, will leave now, btw, I have been using my meter, just didn`t find anything, G`bye...... In blowing three fuses, this happened over a three day period..

Oh good job, Tailbone, you've scared him off now

Sorry! That wasn't my intention. I was just passing on the story of "feeding the alligator" that we use to tease some of the green techs. After an alligator is fully fed (empty box of fuses) the tech realises this is not the way to go about problem solving.

Edited by Guest

Sorry Tailbone, will leave now, btw, I have been using my meter, just didn`t find anything, G`bye...... In blowing three fuses, this happened over a three day period..

Please accept my apology, I wasn't trying to poke fun at you. You seem to have something going on with this circuit. If the fuses aren't blowing immediately and you aren't feeding new ones in there expecting different results you are OK. As others have said, the IR is drawing more current than can be supplied. My guess is you have something else going on with your wiring.