Sign in to follow this  
notquitecable

Interference problems

I was at my clients today (im a computer guy), he has a 4 camera system DVR. I installed a USB KVM switch so he could switch between his PC and his DVR, so he won't need to swap the VGA cable back and forth anymore.

After I installed the cable, we had 1 camera that was somewhat distorted. I unplugged a cable then plugged it back in, and now I have 2 cameras distorted. I removed the KVM and the same problem existed so I plugged the KVM back in. I checked all wires and nothing seems to interfere. I then unplugged all 4 cams (cat5 baluns) and played with different configurations and here are the results (which did not help me in a fix yet).

Camera 1 works perfect all the time regardless of what is plugged in.

Camera 2 works perfect when three to four total cams are plugged in, but will get distorted if two or less cams are plugged in.

Camera 3 is blurry all the time, but is most distorted when plugged in alone, then less distorted with the second plugged, then even more less with third is added etc.

Camera 4 has same symptoms as 3.

If I unplug camera 4 and then just touch the BNC connector to the back metal area of the DVR, camera 4 gets just a bit less distorted and vise versa with camera 3.

Does this ring any bells? Thanks.

I ran into a problem similar to this the other day at a clients site, check and make sure the BNC connectors are securely attached, they had been playing with theirs and just inserted them back in without twisting them, making it so any time I touched a wire cameras would come and go.

Also check the wires going into the baluns and make sure they are in all the way to, might be a cable is being pulled on or something and has caused it to be pulled out slightly.

If all else fails remove the KVM and make due with a software VNC program