Abumisan

Integerate 16 channel DVR and 8 Chaneel Dvr to 1 Monitor

Hi,

I am installing a site with 21 cameras. We have a 16 channel DVR and 8 Channel DVR. Now we need to interconnect these two and also the display should be directed to 1 single monitor where we can view all the 21 cameras. How can this be done.

It can't, really.

There are some work-around solutions, depending on the DVRs and what type of connections they provide.

If they use BNC-only outputs, you could run them both into a quad or multiplexer and display them both in a 2x2 grid.

Or you could get a monitor that does picture-in-picture and then display the 8-channel machine as a small window in the 16-channel display.

Or feed the output of the 8-channel unit into an unused input on the 16-channel, so it will display your 8-channel machine as one of the "cameras" on the other.

Or if they're networkable, you may be able to view them in two separate client or browser windows side-by-side on a separate PC. Or if they're the same brand and the client software supports it, you may be able to display both in a single client window.

That's all I've got at the moment... hard to think of anything else without at least make and model info on the DVRs.

Oh... the other option: sell the two separate machines off and put the proceeds toward a 32-channel unit. That's the best solution BY FAR. Anything else is just a hack.

I don't have the relevant experience to comment however if I wanted to investigate the possibilities,

I would be looking toward control software applications

try the following sites

CCTV Software

ICatcher Console

Personally I prefer the easier trade in suggestion, earlier, it will be easier to operate and maintain,

less to go wrong and of course there is a small level of profit to be had on top.

^But of course, the VMS option depends entirely on the DVRs and whether the software supports them, or whether they even support remote access...

I doubt he could resell the two for enough to get a 32-channel - remember you're selling two used units, which you can't get full price for, to buy one new one, so it would probably require a little extra to make up the difference... but most of the other options would require extra cash as well.

If they are the same brand DVR then more than likely you should be able to use the CMS software that came with the DVR to view all screens at one time from a computer within your local network.

That is, if the DVR's came with CMS software.

Thanks and sorry for the late reply.

The DVR are from the same manufacturer and they support CMS software. Through network its possible to view all cameras in one monitor. When it come the other way by using BNC connectors and two LCD (one in the main room amd one at the reception) then how can all the cameras be viewed in a single screen.

You would have to jimmyrig it with a multiplexer like Soundy said which is not ideal. It would not look good, some boxes would be smaller than others.

Oh... the other option: sell the two separate machines off and put the proceeds toward a 32-channel unit. That's the best solution BY FAR. Anything else is just a hack.

Still your BEST option...

You could take a duel input monitor and patch a DVR to each input but you'd have to switch between inputs A and B manually to view the DVR you want. That would work for being able to view certain recordings at full screen at least.

I do agree more on the 32ch DVR if you want to see it all live at the same time.