Homer14

Newbie - What is a good home camera for driveway?

Hi all,

I'm brand new in the security camera arena. I'm reading up as much as I can to learn more as I post this.

I'm a michigan, usa, resident (hot humid summer, far below freezing winters). I simply would like to identify the best setup I can get for about $300. I know this is on the lower end of things.

I would like to put my camera at the peak (top of triangle) of my garage gable. I can wire power to it no problem and route data feed cable too if that is what I end up getting.

What single camera should i get that can cover, day, night and perhaps give me the ability to have at least the last 12 hours or recorded video. I'm open to getting a dvr based system, or a video card on a pc that is writing compressed h264 or divx video to save space. Also open to wireless stuff if that is what you pro's would recommend.

I will have two motion sensor lights (not floods) almost directly below the camera on the sides of the garage that i dont feel will be in the direct view of the camera if that makes any difference.

I keep seeing these "bullet" style cameras. I think one of those would look decent and be obvious to "vsitors" which is fine by me.

Should i get something that requires me to run a data cable like 60 feet into a dvr or computer? Or should i get something wireless that a computer is listening to and writing data to a hdd?

Help! hehe. Thanks!

-Homer

Cheap wireless rarely works. I can only think of one solution for you that might work because you only want one camera. Get a decent camera like this one.

CNB VCM-24VF 1/3" 600TVL Outdoor Vandal true day/night DC Iris M13 2.8-10.5mm .005 lux

To record the video use a crummy USB DVR that can be bought from $10 to $30 on Ebay (go for the better one). With you only using one channel it may record a decent picture and frame rate.

And BTW, putting the camera as high as possible and only recording the tops of peoples heads may not be the best way to do this.

Edit: Make sure the USB DVR will record at 640x480 or D1, and check its compatability with win xp or 7.

“What about this guy? Vivotek IP8332“

Well that camera alone blows your budget. But even if it did not it is clearly a poor performer in low light and it has a fixed wide angle lens not suited for looking down the driveway. Also unless it comes with free DVR software you have no way to record anything.

Hi,

When you get a ip camera, make sure it has the ftp feature.

with ftp features, you can configure the camera to capture the images and send it to a data center at [mod edit - no advertising] for storage.

as such, you will not need to purchase a PC for storage and hence no maintenance cost is incurred in the future

the storage fees is relatively cheap

it is easy to access the server remotely via pc, mobile phone or tablet devices.

Pretty cool, you shall try

Gee, Albert, you wouldn't happen to be affiliated with FiSnap, would you? Three posts so far, all three recommending people use it... hmmm!

Rather than start a new thread thought I'd high jack this one as my set up is similar only I currently have a wired bullet camera already mounted over looking the drive way and am looking to upgrade as the one that is there now is a crappy kguard IR that came with my DVR. Looking to spend around $100 need to be able to see clearly up to the 30ft or so at the end of the drive way. I'd be willing to send more if I could find a PTZ but still don't won't to go over around $200-300. Any suggestions?

Hi

I thinok it need to be so high technique in the project. Just carry one camera which equipped PIR and flooding ligh. When any object is appear infront of gate the PIR will toggling the floodinglight and camera to capture the image.

of course, if you have enough budget you could hook-up to 4Ch DVR to remote and monitoring.

In my case at least already have the 4 channel dvr and a crappy camera there just need something with better night vision, I'll post pics later today when I get home from work so you guys can see the set up I am talking about.