plasmaguy

Geovision & AMD

Hello everyone,

I am new into CCTV and am trying to absorb as much info as possible.

From my reading, it appears that Geovision cards run much better on Intel systems versus AMD's. Why is this so? My computer builder/tech is a huge AMD guy and I'd like to be able to reference something besides I told you so

On the same note, is there a capture card as good as Geovision that runs on AMD processors better?

Thanks,

Tom

Hello everyone,

I am new into CCTV and am trying to absorb as much info as possible.

From my reading, it appears that Geovision cards run much better on Intel systems versus AMD's. Why is this so? My computer builder/tech is a huge AMD guy and I'd like to be able to reference something besides I told you so

On the same note, is there a capture card as good as Geovision that runs on AMD processors better?

Thanks,

Tom

Rubbish, despite what specs say, you can use AMD. It's a CPU, which has no bearing on the functionality of the card. You don't need Intel drivers for the DVR card. It will work just peachy. Some cards also tell you not to use onboard graphics cards and/or certain chipsets as well. You can usually safely ignore that as well, on the provision that the specs of the onboard stuff matches what you'd need in a separate card. I used AMD's for ages on Geo based DVRs long before they said it was ok to use AMD hardware.

Rubbish, despite what specs say, you can use AMD. It's a CPU, which has no bearing on the functionality of the card. You don't need Intel drivers for the DVR card. It will work just peachy. Some cards also tell you not to use onboard graphics cards and/or certain chipsets as well. You can usually safely ignore that as well, on the provision that the specs of the onboard stuff matches what you'd need in a separate card. I used AMD's for ages on Geo based DVRs long before they said it was ok to use AMD hardware.

Which Geo cards are you using with AMDs and that actually work?

I dont mean 3 years ago either, I mean like today.

Gentlemen,

I should have added my requirements, i.e. my intentions are to use the 1480A card.

Rory, what are your thoughts?

The combo cards need either the Intel or Nvidia Chipset, they wont typically work with certain other chipsets. Cant speak for the CPU though, I just always use Intel. Ive used the NVidia chipset in the past with the combo cards. Back in the days of the GV250 I used my home PC with a Via chipset and AMD CPU without issue, but that was a very basic generic type card. Tried VIA with a GV800 before and drivers failed to install properly, switched to SIS and it worked.

Also if you are going for the 1480 and 8.3+ software (anything new) make sure you have at least a quad core, that card and the newer software kills a Dual core CPU. (unless you manually set the max fps to 15 and then might as well get the 1120 in that case)

Rory,

I had a GV1240 Combo card working on an Athlon64 3800+ system - With VIA chipset (win Xp - geo ver 7.x)

It was a existing install at one of my sites, and heat problems soon lead to an Intel replacement.

I don't know how much trouble they went to for a working setup, but it was fully functional when I took the site on board.

Plasmaguy -

My background in IT has led me to use Intel on all my DVR's for reliability and stability.

AMD is fine for a home / gaming PC but the second it becomes business I steer clear of AMD.

Rory,

I had a GV1240 Combo card working on an Athlon64 3800+ system - With VIA chipset (win Xp - geo ver 7.x)

It was a existing install at one of my sites, and heat problems soon lead to an Intel replacement.

I don't know how much trouble they went to for a working setup, but it was fully functional when I took the site on board.

Plasmaguy -

My background in IT has led me to use Intel on all my DVR's for reliability and stability.

AMD is fine for a home / gaming PC but the second it becomes business I steer clear of AMD.

The heat factor also has to do with your cooling as well. I use AMDs a lot and have never had any heat issues or otherwise.

Rory,

Thats the first I heard of though anything is possible. I even tried GV800 on a via chipset once and it was a no go, drivers would not even install. However I had a GV250 working on an old Via chipset a couple years ago, while Geo said it would not. Luck of the draw I guess.