ACSmith

Vehicle Setup Quick Question

I have a quick question for those of you that run a vehicle mounted dvr. How do you power 24vac security cameras? 12dc->120ac->24vac? or is it better to stay away from those cameras? What would be the best quality vs size?

I am currently using a Crest 2104N. I have a reverse backup camera for the rear, and a Chinese camera for the front. Everything so far is 12 volts. Everything is written to hard drive. Within the next week or two I will have my wireless video link complete.

On a side question, My DVR has 4 video inputs and 1 audio. Where would be the best locations for the camera? Would it be beneficial to put one on speedo? Im pretty sure it would be awhile before I could write a program to overlay gps. And is recording audio a good idea? I see people with opinions on both sides, Illegal in some places, but allows me to read and record license plates without needing the other vehicles to be in the right place or focus.

Any and All ideas are welcome. Some of you have AMAZING vehicle setups that I would someday hope to have!

I have a quick question for those of you that run a vehicle mounted dvr. How do you power 24vac security cameras? 12dc->120ac->24vac? or is it better to stay away from those cameras?

I'd stick with dual-voltage (12VDC/24VAC) cameras, which will usually accept anywhere from 9 to 30V - they'll work fine on the car's power, and their internal regulation will help deal with the widely varying voltage (typically anywhere from 10VDC to over 15VDC).

What would be the best quality vs size?

That depends largely on YOUR needs.

On a side question, My DVR has 4 video inputs and 1 audio. Where would be the best locations for the camera? Would it be beneficial to put one on speedo? Im pretty sure it would be awhile before I could write a program to overlay gps.

Again, best location FOR YOUR CAR would depend entirely on YOUR NEEDS and what YOU want to accomplish with this.

And is recording audio a good idea? I see people with opinions on both sides, Illegal in some places, but allows me to read and record license plates without needing the other vehicles to be in the right place or focus.

Legality of audio recording generally applies to public places. In a private place, like inside your home or car, there should be no issue.

Wow! thanks for the fast reply.

Dual Voltage will show on the back or bottom of the camera next to the 24vac, if I had one correct?

This system is in a Jeep Wrangler with a softtop so smaller and easier to hide would be best. I think my DVR only records 360x240 per input so I dont need to get a great quality camera. I would like a better DVR but this one was free and its only my hobbie so... Total project costs to date is ~38 dollars.

Im not trying to record anything particular. No history of vandleism or road rage. Just doin it because I can and I find it interesting.

Wow! thanks for the fast reply.

Dual Voltage will show on the back or bottom of the camera next to the 24vac, if I had one correct?

The cameras would probably state somewhere that they're designed for "12VDC/24VAC", if not on the camera or the wiring, then on the box or in the manual.

What would you rate this camera as?(as far as night quality and focus)

I think I recorded it CIF@30fps

I would like to have a wider field of view but because of the cheap nature of the camera I doubt I could get a different Lense. This camera Is outside the car and is exposed to the elements. I am thinking about replacing with a bullet camera or maybe a better camera and mount it inside.