Hello

i currently have a small hard drive based dvr system recordeding 6 cameras for my off licence. I'm looking to expand to a windows based system which i can access remotely and also records up to 16 cameras.

I'd be confident in putting together the PC myself however What will i be needing to build this? A friend of mine has a similar system which he had fitted by a CCTV engineer. He said the software he uses is Geovision.

I take it the geovision software requires a licence? Also what processor am i looking at that'll be able to record/stream the amount of cameras?

I do realise that it's a bit of a n00bish question and i apologise for that but i have no experience in the CCTV field so i'm looking for a push in the right direction.

1:Geovision original OEM is the muts NUTS......

their software is build to give you the best quality via the net ..i haven't come accross software /hardware that works beter.

In South Africa its quite pricey but worth the money spend.

2:Get a full Intell mother board with processor i5 is cool or bit lower ..I think you guy's would only have PCI-e GV cards available , so make sure the motherboard spacing is right between were the graphics is going and the display card.(bulky display card)

3: proper grapichs card Very Important

4:Make sure you get SURVAILANCE HDD's ....

Seagate :stxx00xxx00sv OR Hitachi Cinema view.

Normal one's will do but don't last long.

AND VERY IMPORTANT MAKE SURE YOU BUY ORIGINAL GEOVISION PRODUCTS . There is a lot of pirate stuff out there that make GV look bad because of piracy.

Geovisioncctv.co.uk.....Geovisionsa.co.za for more info

GV usually requires a much beefier machine than anything else.

You will need a DVR card, the card contains the licenses for what you need.

There are many DVR cards out there that will suffice. There are quite a few dealers on here who can direct you to the most economical Most come with their own monitoring software too so you won't have to worry about that.

If you're looking to set up 6 cameras.

Surveillance HDD's aren't really necessary, I've been building DVRs for years without any problems. And surveillance specific HDDs have only been out for about a year. The previous 15 years have all been done with normal HDDs. Don't waste your money IMO.

As a base system, I'd be looking for the following

A mobo with integrated graphics. A separate gfx card isnt really necessary. Check the card specs though on what sort of grunt the gfx needs.

Quad core AMD or Intel i5. (can get away with a dual core or i3 if your budget is that limited) Be aware that a lot of the times the DVR may specify you cant use AMD or onboard gfx. Ive never had any issues in getting it to work. But its your choice in the end if you want to play safe and spend a few extra $ doing so.

2 gigs of RAM. (i run with 4)

DVR card

1TB HDD (you can get 2, but for a domestic system its probably not required, they are cheap anyways)

Win XP

Bear in mind this is a PC based DVR so if you need to upgrade the hardware (ie add more ram increase capacity) its pretty basic.