renz05725

Turned down PTZ install

As u guys may know already, my company moved into the surveillance system market about 2 years ago. Slowly but surely we have installed small to medium sized systems, with our largest being 64 channel system.

Recently we were asked to install 4 PTZ's on at 240 camera system that has roughly 10 dvr's, controlled by one controller and is connected in a matrix manner that we r not familiar with.

Basically it was a simple remove and replace type of install. The new cameras would be the bosch i300 x26 zoom. The reason for us declinig the job was because the previous installer put in 2 of these cameras and had a nightmare installing them and they still dont have full control of the cameras. This is an old system that has grown over time and kinda been patched together.

We are growing but are growing due to our good reputation on the work we do. I didnt want to get stuck at this install not really fully sure on how to trouble shoot thru this install and damage our reputation on being over our head at this location.

What would u guys have done? Would u have taken it and leanred frommur mistakes or was i better off turning it down?

First thing I would have done is probably look at what would be required to clean up the existing mess... then tell them, look, I can swap in new cameras, but that's not going to solve the problem of not having full control... and here's what it would take to achieve that.

As u guys may know already, my company moved into the surveillance system market about 2 years ago. Slowly but surely we have installed small to medium sized systems, with our largest being 64 channel system.

Recently we were asked to install 4 PTZ's on at 240 camera system that has roughly 10 dvr's, controlled by one controller and is connected in a matrix manner that we r not familiar with.

Basically it was a simple remove and replace type of install. The new cameras would be the bosch i300 x26 zoom. The reason for us declinig the job was because the previous installer put in 2 of these cameras and had a nightmare installing them and they still dont have full control of the cameras. This is an old system that has grown over time and kinda been patched together.

We are growing but are growing due to our good reputation on the work we do. I didnt want to get stuck at this install not really fully sure on how to trouble shoot thru this install and damage our reputation on being over our head at this location.

What would u guys have done? Would u have taken it and leanred frommur mistakes or was i better off turning it down?

I'm a constant believer in the answer is always YES (and then putting in the hard yards to make it work and work well)

Usually because the conversation goes as follows

Can you do this?

Yes

How much?

Let me get back to you. (and then you use the get back to you time to draw up a quote and figure otu how its done.)

Ideally, set them up in your shop first, make sure you're familiar with how they work. Then take them to the site. If things don't go great, remember that they've had them broken and they're not going to be THAT fussed if its not fully functional. Remember that your CS is as much a priority as your work.