skane

Surveillance system business, liability/insurance question

Have some insurance/liability questions regarding owning/running a surveillance system install business. Appreciate any feedback...

What type of liability situations does your business insurance cover?

Have you seen/experienced a situation where a customer sues a surveillance camera installer for damages/loss because a surveillance camera system fails to provide usable evidence?

How do you best protect your business from possible liability situations?

What company/carrier do you use for business insurance in the USA?

This post probably should go into the "running a security business" section but I do not have access to that section.

Thanks for any insight.

I haven't heard of anyone getting sued because a CCTV system failed to produce useable evidence. All our invoices and estimate contain a disclaimer that CCTV is not guaranteed to deter, prevent or capture illegal activity no matter if the equipment is working properly or not. Do not sell a system to a customer promising things you can't guarantee a system can do.

You can get a contract from alarmcontracts.com which is a very well known place to obtain security industry contracts. Contracts are double edged because if you are the only company requiring them out of all the competitors you have then it does not look good for you. Where we are no one has surveillance contracts but we have alarm system and service contracts.

We do have liability insurance and we are bonded as well as most larger installs require this in our experience and it would be crazy for you not to have any type of insurance.

Thanks for the info and link. I was shopping for insurance and the agent raised the liability question about performance, which I thought could be covered by other means like disclaimer and/or contract.