howy61

DC Power Plug in Wall Box

I am considering buying a multi-camera CCTV kit for the home, but I can not find a good way connect the DC power.

The idea is to run the cables through the attic and down into the stud bay to a common double gang box in the room where the DVR would be. The wall plate would be a Quick Port just like I used to for surround sound connections. Quick Port has BNC snap in connector (http://www.levitonproducts.com/catalog/model_40832.htm) , but they have nothing for the 12V DC.

I have been thinking I could buy cable extension adaptors and drill a hole in blank snap in plates, but I don't know where to buy the adators or what size is the DC plugs should be.

Some one has got to have delt with this issue and hopefully has a good solution.

Multi-camera package systems are junk. The DVRs are junk, the cameras are junk... and if they use the pre-made all-in-one cables, those tend to be junk as well. If the cables use the all-in-one DIN connectors, you'll also be effectively locking yourself into that manufacturer's equipment as well, since very few use the same pinouts, and NO quality equipment uses the DIN plugs, so you'll be relegated to only junk equipment in the future.

Since these appear to at least have separate video and power connectors, I'm guessing the power uses barrel connectors? You could get chassis-mount barrel jacks and put several of them in a blank plate, or use spring terminals, like your structured wiring might use for speaker connections.

Do yourself a favor, though, and consider piecing out separate DVR and cameras, so you can choose cameras specific to each purpose rather than just a bunch of poor one-size-fits-none toys.

CCTV cameras almost always use 2.1 x 5.5 DC Line plugs and jacks but really any type of two way connector that serves your needs will work. These can be solder on or screw on (see first picture)

Some people just use ordinary terminal block.

Connections that are outside should be enclosed in a weatherproof junction box.

A minimum rating of IP65 is recommended. (IP rating has nothing to do with IP Cameras)

I have also heard that the gel filled telecom connectors are good in high moisture areas such as coastal locations.

Sorry you bought a bundled kit before coming onto this forum, hope it does what you expect of it anyway.

5648749781_faef64a8f9-1.jpgLB9045AJPG-1.jpg

If I buy the kit I am considering, it has a separate AC adaptor with in-line pig tail barrel connectors. I found the green line plugs and figured I could drill out the Quick Port blanks and super glue the Female side plug for the AC adaptor. However, I am looking for a more attractive solution because it will be mounted in a bedroom being used as an office. Things like resale value are kind of important.

The Isolated Chassis Mount - 2.1 Jack below looks like a much better option than super glue and assuming that is a locking ring like an F connector. If not there is another option at the same site. Listed both at the bottom.

http://www.rpelectronics.com/31-134m-2-isolated-chassis-mount-2-1-jack-pkg-2.html

http://www.rpelectronics.com/360-021-chassis-jack-2-1-x-5-5mm.html

31-134M.jpg.9572cf247271c2fb0482943e5242bf42.jpg

Edited by Guest

Why the kit? Because the house really does not need more than a good kit

no such thing they are just junk. $47 DVR $7 cameras put in a box and sold for $300-$400

you will find the problems when you need footage.

how many cameras are you looking at putting in a bedroom

cute. Just the DVR in the bedroom/office right next to the WiFi router.

So what would you recommend for a basic 4 camera house setup?

But you did make me think other options for locating the DVR and only needing to expose RJ45 jack for a CAT5 line to the router. i was already planning to program through the PC.