the lemming

What options do I have with Windows 7 and CCTV cameras?

Hello

I'm trying to set up a domestic CCTV system but I'm having a few problems. I first bought a 4 camera setup with DVR but the playback was propriety .264 and could only be read on the DVR player.

My next problem was that I bought a Swann USB converter to connect a security camera to my PC. The man in the shop said that the USB device would be able to work with Windows 7 privided I got the relevant drivers from their site. Those drivers never existed and I could not get the USB device to work with Windows 7.

So, with all this in mind, what options or solutions do I have with connecting a CCTV system to a PC running Windows 7?

I don't even mind building a PC from scratch to a required spec, and using Linux, as long as the system works.

Hello

I'm trying to set up a domestic CCTV system but I'm having a few problems. I first bought a 4 camera setup with DVR but the playback was propriety .264 and could only be read on the DVR player.

My next problem was that I bought a Swann USB converter to connect a security camera to my PC. The man in the shop said that the USB device would be able to work with Windows 7 privided I got the relevant drivers from their site. Those drivers never existed and I could not get the USB device to work with Windows 7.

So, with all this in mind, what options or solutions do I have with connecting a CCTV system to a PC running Windows 7?

I don't even mind building a PC from scratch to a required spec, and using Linux, as long as the system works.

Is this what you were looking for?

You'd have a ton more options using XP instead of W7.

Unfortunately I haven't used XP since Vista came out. Since then I've used quite a few Linux distros, put apple onto my PC and I'm now happy with Windows 7.

I no longer have a copy of XP, sorry