Sign in to follow this  
the lemming

Idiot proof DVR recommendation for somebody in the UK please

Hello

I just bought a 4 camera DVR CCTV setup from a store in Preston, Lancashire. The DVR worked and recorded activity outside my home.

The problem was that the footage was recorded in a propriety .264 format which could only be viewed on the DVR. The enclosed software did not work well with Windows 7.

I was unfortunately unable to convert the .264 files to anything useful such as H.264, AVI, MP4, DIVX or XVID.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions for DVR systems which will allow me to use software to convert footage to H.264 or AVI and can then be viewed on any computer. No point having evidence which I can't give to the police.

Cheers

Hello

I just bought a 4 camera DVR CCTV setup from a store in Preston, Lancashire. The DVR worked and recorded activity outside my home.

The problem was that the footage was recorded in a propriety .264 format which could only be viewed on the DVR. The enclosed software did not work well with Windows 7.

I was unfortunately unable to convert the .264 files to anything useful such as H.264, AVI, MP4, DIVX or XVID.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions for DVR systems which will allow me to use software to convert footage to H.264 or AVI and can then be viewed on any computer. No point having evidence which I can't give to the police.

Cheers

hi. i take it you had a CNM in the past. this is a good little unit will do everything you need.

http://www.aver.com/Surveillance/Product/Detail.aspx?id=252

have you checked out the Dahua DVRs?

PC, Mac, Linux, IE, Blackberry, Android, iPad/iPhone, Symbian, Windows Mobile.

Saves as .DAV easily converted to AVI which uses any generic h264 codecs (eg. Divx).

But there really isnt any such thing as an "idiot proof" DVR.

If all someone knows how to do is push the power button on a PC and open the browser to facebook (aka an idiot, nothing personal) then they are likely to have issues with any kind of multi channel DVR system at least when trying to playback. Someone with basic computer skills and enough patience to spend 5 minutes to learn something new should have no issue though. When they start asking what the desktop or mouse left click is, best to sell them a couple guard dogs instead, or charge them each time you have to playback/backup video for them

If you are having an issue with the conversion software for your CnM DVR, have you contacted CnM Support?

We will try and resolve any issue you have.

I haven’t heard of any specific problems with the H.264toAVI Convert software under Windows 7, but we will gladly help you resolve whatever the problem is.

Please email your issue to support@cnmsecure.com or just ask for one of our support technicians to call you by including your phone number.

I am going with Dahua and TVT--- for entry level, you might get 5 dollars cheaper --- but for features in the box, I don't think anything is gonna touch it

RMA of less than 2%, listed companies on the shenzhen stock exchange, dahua running around 9 on the A&S global security company list, massive reinvestment in R&D --------look no further!

If you are having an issue with the conversion software for your CnM DVR, have you contacted CnM Support?

We will try and resolve any issue you have.

I haven’t heard of any specific problems with the H.264toAVI Convert software under Windows 7, but we will gladly help you resolve whatever the problem is.

Please email your issue to support@cnmsecure.com or just ask for one of our support technicians to call you by including your phone number.

This is great --- but where is the controlled supply channel ----looks like this distribution channel is not providing the support expected if purchasers are coming onto public forums for assitance!