Sign in to follow this  
iHoax

Homeowner association harassment, would like to confront

Hey,

Recently, the Homeowner Association has been harassing us. They take pictures of every little thing we do to our house. They even sent us a $1,300 fine for planting a flower, A FLOWER, in the front lawn. We've hired an attorney and he will be contacting them soon. However, I feel like my house has become a target. Now the homeowner association has been taking pictures of things that we have never touched outside our house and trying to bill us for it. We got a letter today, and all it had was pictures, like as if it were a threat.

I'd like to know how is spying on our house, and how can I figure out who that is? I would like to confront the individual and just asked them what their problem is. We haven't violated any codes, from what my attorney said, but they still continue to harass us and are also threatening to revoke a few rights including voting rights.

I think I have seen the home owner association "spy" once before in their car infront of our house with a camera one time....But now, I want to catch them. Is there anything I can do? Should I buy some sort of camera system and just sit my ass down and watch it all day? Should I just plant a giant tree in my lawn and just wait for someone to come and take a picture? What would be the most convenient way?

my take on this is install a small concealed camera and let it record to a dvr machine, (ie a recorder like a dvd player) then its going to be a bit boring but id run the cctv through on the highest fastforward speed to get the image to play back and just see if anyone has been hanging around etc, you would only need to check times that no-ones at home tho as youd generally be a ble to see form the monitor and windows if anyone is hanging around hth

If someone is sitting outside watching your house and they send you photos without a note or indication of why, to me that sounds like stalking, however I am no legally trained and your attorney is. However, instead of attempting to confront these people, why not try to reach an understanding?

After all, you have to live amongst them, you might just as well try to get along with them regardless of your feelings.

How can they threaten to remove your voting rights? They can't do that if you have the right to be in the association, you have the right to vote.

In a democracy, you may not agree with some decisions or favour some rules, but you live with them, until you can democartically change things by using your vote. Removing your vote is undemocratic and dare I say it Un-American.

Try to get to the bottom of the problem in a diplomatic way, you don't have to like these people, meantime get a camera or two and a DVR and record what is going on, but act as if everything is fine and without getting angry or showing frustration, say don't you think the photo taking and surveillance of my house is taking things a little too far. Sat it in a reasoned and unemotional way and then YOU will have the higher ground.

Your forum name worries me a bit though...

You could do this with a USB webcam and Vitamin D software if this is all you are trying to do. Demo is free but limited to 320x240.

One of many reasons not to buy into a home with an HOA. Why pay for the privilege of having someone else tell you what you can and cannot do with your home?

One of many reasons not to buy into a home with an HOA. Why pay for the privilege of having someone else tell you what you can and cannot do with your home?

I couldn't agree more. If I lived in an HOA neighborhood, I could never paint my home like this:

fn8umr-1.png